January 2015 Moms

What? No ultrasound??

So I had my 12 week appointment this afternoon. Doctor came in with doppler, found heartbeat, appointment over. I was kind of offered the NT scan at 8 weeks and I was also told that I would not have an ultrasound until 20 weeks. It makes me really nervous but I guess that means everything is good?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What? No ultrasound??

• Well the NT scan is an ultrasound (and there's also a blood test to coincide with it) but you have to opt to have it done... it's not a required test.

For non high risk, normal pregnancies I've heard that it can be pretty normal to have just one ultrasound at 20 weeks... varies a bit by practice (some also like to do an early u/s for dating purposes especially if you don't know when you ovulated), but not abnormal to just have the one.

Used to be back in the old days there were zero unless there was a compelling medical need.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • SOMETIMES places will do u/s, also, if you are past due and don't want to be induced or your OB's policy is to not induce until 41 or 42 weeks.

But, as PP said, otherwise for most women, 2 u/s is it.  Which is why I try to make the 18-22 week anatomy scan as close to that 22 week as possible because it's FOREVER between week 22 and week 40(+) after getting one somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks and then again already at 18-22 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwife only does the anatomy scan around 19-23 weeks. She said if for some reason I'm measuring larger that they will order an additional one for dating or to make sure there's not twins. But other than that, just the one. But we will get to hear the heartbeat when we go in for appointments. :)
  • since i opted out of the NT scan, if i hadn't needed a dating scan, i would only have the one ultrasound for my a/s.  it's pretty common.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • I wont get my first ultrasound until 16-20 weeks for the a/s, and my 2nd one around 34 weeks.  Like you, i got to hear the heartbeat at 12weeks, and the doctor says we will do that each visit, so yay!
    Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif
  • longcat07 said:

since i opted out of the NT scan, if i hadn't needed a dating scan, i would only have the one ultrasound for my a/s.  it's pretty common.

This for me too
  • I will (hopefully) only have one u/s with this pregnancy. We opted not to do the NT scan so the a/s is it for us. I had several more with DD because of threatened m/c early and low fluid late.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• I was disappointed to learn that I only get one ultrasound also, around 20weeks. The good news is, that I've heard the less ultrasounds, the better for baby. I have also heard that ultrasounds become very pricey so if your doctor is confident confirming all is well with blood work and doppler, you are better off.
  • That's kind of what I figured seeing the doctor=much cheaper than the ultrasound. I will be greatful that I seem to be having a healthy pregnancy and quit complaing about not getting to see my baby. I am glad to know that this is normal. I was kind of conserned. I will also keep that in mind when scheduling the A/S.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"