1st Trimester
Options

I can't wait until 20 weeks for another ultrasound!!

I am only about 9 weeks pregnant.  My first (and only) ultrasound thus far was at 7w5d as a dating sonogram.  Thankfully we were able to actually hear the heartbeat at that appointment.  I have a follow up tomorrow (will be 9w4d) and no ultrasound.  When I asked when the next sonogram would be, she said typically 20 weeks!??  How in the heck am I supposed to wait that long?  My fear is that something could/would go wrong and I wouldn't know it because of the lack of sonograms.  I am sure I'm overreacting a tad here...but that just seems like FOREVER to wait!!  Anyone else have insight on this?  Or just want to complain with me?  :)  

Re: I can't wait until 20 weeks for another ultrasound!!

• Options
    Jessicab, I know your pain, it is hard to wait and wonder and wait and wonder.  But this feeling will manifest itself throughout your pregnancy.  Try to take it one day at a time and know that if you aren't having any symptoms otherwise things are most likely going very well in there!  ;) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @CreativeD1 for the kind words :) 

• Options
    You are welcome!  :) 

• Options
    @MrsMuq didn't know they typically listen to HB via Doppler. Hopefully my dr will do the same. I understand that it is a medical tool and it's not always necessary. It is just nice to see for your own eyes that all is well inside there.

I think my OP came across more panicked than intended. Ha! I am not wigging out but instead just stating that it seems like a while to wait. That's all....
  • Options
    bhk3bhk3 member
    This is first pregnancy and I'm scheduled to have my first U/S at 12 weeks to do the nuchal translucency screening and check on things in general. I'm told we'll have a second U/S at 16 weeks to find out the sex of the baby (assuming we decide to find out). They really didn't do anything at my first appointment (8 weeks) beyond getting medical history, discussing the various genetic testing available, answering questions and chatting in general.

On one hand it's painful to play the "wait and see" game. In a way it feels like the pregnancy won't really sink in until I see/hear the baby. But on the other hand it makes me very thankful that there were no red flags that caused the doctor to WANT to do any early testing.

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    Haha I am the same way. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks, 7 weeks, and now at 11 weeks...Because I tend to start worrying in between each. At the 11 week ultrasound when I asked when my next would be, they said "20 weeks." My response was, "And what happens if I just beg to come back sooner?" I am trying to keep myself calm and keep myself patient enough to wait for 20 weeks. I would say, only stress out if you have an obvious reason to be stressing! If all seems okay, don't stress and be patient!
  • Options

At the 11 week ultrasound when I asked when my next would be, they said "20 weeks." My response was, "And what happens if I just beg to come back sooner?" 

Please tell me you didn't ACTUALLY say this. Holy crap. 

---end quote---

Wow. I'm sure you're their favorite patient.
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

Haha I am the same way. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks, 7 weeks, and now at 11 weeks...Because I tend to start worrying in between each.

Wait.  Did you really have ultrasounds at 5, 7 and 11 weeks because you started worrying in between each?

---end quote---

She's the only person to ever worry about her pregnancy. She's a VERY special snowflake.

FFS.

And what's the point of the 5 week ultrasound? You can't see shit. Of course you'll worry yourself. It's called being patient and waiting til you're far enough along to actually see something.
  • Options
    Over reacting. Relax. No amount of US can keep "something" from happening.  
  • Options
    Haha I am the same way. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks, 7 weeks, and now at 11 weeks...Because I tend to start worrying in between each. At the 11 week ultrasound when I asked when my next would be, they said "20 weeks." My response was, "And what happens if I just beg to come back sooner?" I am trying to keep myself calm and keep myself patient enough to wait for 20 weeks. I would say, only stress out if you have an obvious reason to be stressing! If all seems okay, don't stress and be patient!

Wait, what?

I'm sure you are a gem of a patient.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I hope that I get an ultrasound done either at my first appointment or shortly after. I would hate to have to wait until 20 weeks to get a look at my baby for the first time in utero.

If you want to get a glimpse of your little one before your 20wk U/S you can go to one of those 3D/4D ultrasound places.

They also do regular ultrasounds (but none of them are for medical purposes), it is only for fun. You can go as early as 15 weeks and they can identify the gender of your baby.

I went to My Baby Bump when I was 15weeks pregnant with my son. She told us the gender and gave us a DVD with his pics as well as print outs.

If you are interested you can google 3D/4D ultrasounds in your area and some places should pop up.

• Options
    Because gender is subjective to ones societal norms  ... Sociology 101 

• Options
    Mrsgclark81Mrsgclark81 member
    edited July 2014

Yeah  unfortunately I am high risk... thanks for the info

naomi campbell animated GIF

• Options
    Be glad you don't need any extra u/s. With my first, I had an unexpected u/s when I was sixteen weeks. My doctor couldn't find my daughter's heartbeat with the Doppler. While I waited for my u/s I prayed baby was ok and wished I would have had a normal appointment.

Unnecessary u/s take time from those that need them.
  • Options

Joy2611  Shake your head at someone else ...

You really don't know me to be calling me clueless so whatever!

• Options

kyliedaniellexx 

Ha ! obviously I struck a nerve with some of you ladies !

Relax its not that serious lol

You all are going to war over an ULTRASOUND THREAD  ... smh too funny...

I have a husband and children to attend to, Sooooo....have at it ladies

Don't be bitter all your lives

Deuces

• Options
    I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks due to spotting and cramping, I had the nt scan, I had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks, and growth scans since the 18 week mark. They are checking my fluid levels, her growth, and my cervix. I am scheduled for one last scan then I'll FINEALLY be done. I am so over getting these scans, yes they are "fun" it's neat to see her but it's not fun to be high risk and it's not fun to think i could have LO early and she could be extremely low weight at birth.

Count your blessings. Two scans is more than enough and some women dont get the many.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    I think everyone has made their point about ultrasounds......JFC.

This.
  • Options
    I completely understand! I had my first at 7w2d and it has seemed like forever until my 12w NT scan tomorrow. The NT scan was optional and we decided to do it because we aren't doing any of the other optional testing. My OB said they always recommend having a 1st tri ultrasound that is separate from the dating scan. She also encouraged me to get it because it's fun to see the baby and in many cases it can help ease worries. Maybe you could ask your doctor about an NT scan? Mine will only be $150 out of pocket.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    yes, waiting that long sucks but trust me, it goes faster than you think!
  • Options

with my daughter, we had the ultrasound at 18 weeks instead of 20 (just due to scheduling).  They said we were having a boy but they couldn't see all the chambers of her heart so I had to come back the next week.  Still couldn't see what they wanted.  Came back two weeks later and they asked if we were excited that we were having a girl. Kinda threw us off but the point of that is they are more worried about seeing everything they need to see.  They still didn't get a full pic of her chambers of the heart but found out the cord was wrapped around her neck 2 times which was very helpful for delivery.  We did have to go back a few more times before delivery to see how the cord was doing but everyone is correct, with no signs of problems, they wont do more than needed.  With this pregnancy, I'll have U/S a lot more frequently because I lost our last baby at 20 weeks.  I go in for a cerclage stitch in 2 weeks so they will monitor it.  Enjoy your pregnancy.  Side note, I wrote on a calendar the number of weeks I was each week which is a nice count down and makes time seem to go by quicker...not to mention the holiday coming up, then shortly after that, school starting, more holidays then boom...baby will be here.  :)

• Options
    Be thankful you got that first one! I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and havent gotten one. My Dr only does 1 at 20-22weeks. 
  • Options
    summergirl1211 Maybe I didn't explain clearly. I know why the NT scan is done and I said we decided to do it because we aren't doing other testing (Panorama). She recommended it for that reason and added that it's always fun for couples to see baby and it can help ease worries about something being wrong. So maybe "encouraged" wasn't the right word to use in my OP. She did recommend it for the right reasons and I don't think an ultrasound to gather information about the health of our baby is unnecessary, especially considering we opted out of the other testing.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My OB has done an ultrasound on me for every visit but one so far, so I've had one every month since we first came in for the 8w appointment. They do some measurements every time and let me know how he's growing in there. Now that I'm switching to appointments every two weeks, we won't do them at every single appointment, but my OB likes to do them regularly. It doesn't seem to affect the cost of anything, because they just gave me one flat price for the entire pregnancy + birth, and it doesn't change whether I have two ultrasounds or ten.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    MandJS said:
    My OB has done an ultrasound on me for every visit but one so far, so I've had one every month since we first came in for the 8w appointment. They do some measurements every time and let me know how he's growing in there. Now that I'm switching to appointments every two weeks, we won't do them at every single appointment, but my OB likes to do them regularly. It doesn't seem to affect the cost of anything, because they just gave me one flat price for the entire pregnancy + birth, and it doesn't change whether I have two ultrasounds or ten.
    It might not affect YOUR costs, but it DOES affect healthcare costs overall, which yes, affects how much you and everyone else pays. And I'm sure your OB likes doing them because she can charge insurance each time. I'm honestly side eyeing your OB if she routinely does ultra sounds that often on every pregnant patient she has.

This same statement is said repeatedly in every thread like this but does anyone actually believe that people care about it? DO YOU?

I mean honestly, when I go to the doctor, for whatever the reason might be, I never for one single second think about how MY visit will affect healthcare costs for other people and I certainly wouldn't turn down an u/s or another type of visit for fear of increasing healthcare costs for other people. IMO it's ridiculous to think that saying this statement will sway people out of visits they think are necessary.

I get this point that you are trying to make and although it is true, I doubt it makes a lick of difference in the majority of people's minds.

ETA: I hardly ever go to the doctor unless I feel it's absolutely necessary, or unless they are my OB visits.

This is also something that people say about LOADS of things. People who smoke, people who drink regularly, people who text and drive, people who are obese, people who eat unhealthy diets. All of those things drive up healthcare costs. When it comes to my baby, I trust my OB and defer to him and what he thinks is best for the both of us.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tatorhead328tatorhead328 member
    edited July 2014
    I meant that it doesn't affect the cost of anything for me, which is why I said that MY costs are the same re: what I'm paying to my doctor's office. 

edit: f the formatting :( 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I meant that it doesn't affect the cost of anything for me, which is why I said that MY costs are the same re: what I'm paying to my doctor's office. 

So you don't see that an increase of co-pays, deductibles, or premiums as something that would affect your costs?
  • Options
    tatorhead328tatorhead328 member
    edited July 2014
    TeeJ526 said:

So you don't see that an increase of co-pays, deductibles, or premiums as something that would affect your costs?

I said what I'm paying at the doctor's office for this pregnancy, not my insurance.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    An excellent debate... However, it is not our decision. This decision is made by a Doctor in his/her practice. We can pontificate all we want but in the end it is not our decision and without the Doctor here to defend his/her position we won't get anywhere.
  • Options
    mlebatesmlebates member
    edited July 2014
    From my point of view, having had 5 losses back to back, I don't even WANT an u/s. My last pregnancy I got an u/s at 6 weeks, heard the heart beat (138bpm) then at 10 weeks started bleeding. My baby stopped growing, and died at 8 weeks.

Besides say they saw something go wrong in your pregnancy in the first tri. They can't stop a m/c at that point. So really IMHO you shouldn't even have an u/s unless absolutely necessary in the first tri. Also the a/s is really just checking for abnormalities. NOT specifically for the sex of the baby. That's just a bonus.

I'm excited to have another baby, but I'm not excited to have to go through every emotion I've had again.

ETA this post makes me angry. Imagine being in an actual state of panic for your unborn baby.
    Imagine sitting in an EMPTY waiting room for 2 solid hours with your then 18 month old child because someone that has all signs of a normal pregnancy is "worried".
    Imagine your husband can't make it to the scary u/s because of work obligations.
    Imagine having the beautiful sound of 138bpm running in your mind before and during your u/s, and praying with all your heart that it's just break through bleeding.
    Imagine asking to hear the hb but the tech telling you she can't because she will lose her job/license.
    Imagine the tech moving the monitor so you can't see anything.
    Imagine lying there crying because you have absolutely no idea what is going on with your baby.
    Imagine going back to see your OB, and all he can do is hug you, because he's been through this with you 4 other times.
    Imagine your OB telling you he's sorry, that he really thought this time was the time you would have a healthy baby.
    Imagine that you no longer hear anything your doctor is saying, because you physically NEED to leave so you can cry in your car.

Still want that u/s?
    BFP - March 31st 2013 - MC on April 6th 2013<br>
    BFP - May 11th 2013 - MC on May 15th 2013<br>
    BFP - June 22nd 2013 - MC on June 30th 2013<br>
    BFP - September 2013 - MC September 2013<br>
    BFP - October 31, 2013 - December 17th - found out baby stopped growing at 7wks - natural MC December 20th 2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am so shocked by the amount of negativity by many of you women. How dare you give this lady so much strife for being worried. We are all eiter mothers or expectant mothers and it is difficult for us to not advocate for our babies. I have a history of miscarriage and I have felt the same way as she does. Had it not been for an ultrasound, I would had been carrying my dead baby inside of me for longer than two weeks. Lets all snow some compassion and sympathy instaed of being negative and nasty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"