January 2015 Moms
Options

12w&5d boy or girl nub?

The sonographer said that it was hard for her to tell because the nub isn't totally parallel with the spine, but it isn't perpendicular either. Any suggestions!?

Re: 12w&5d boy or girl nub?

• Options
    mc0113mc0113 member
    I think it was hard for her to tell anything here will just be guesses. Plus, at 12 weeks, both boys and girls look extremely similar. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!!!!!
  • Options
    If it's killing you, I bet they could tell with a 4D
  • Options
    You have a 50% chance of guessing right :)

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Options
    mom2casemom2case member
    edited July 2014
    It looks like a boy to me!  My son's "part" was at that same angle at 12w5d.  There's a woman on babycenter screename Turtle75.  She's the admin of a group called ultrasounds.  Anyway, she guesses on NT scans and has supposedly never been wrong.  I would link it but I don't think we're allowed to do links. 
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    Here's a similar recent post from D14. Maybe you will get some insight here:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12380585/first-post-boy-v-girl-guesses/p1

My opinion (and...science) - the error rate at guessing the sex at < 13 weeks is still about 50%. More here:

https://baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html
  • Options
    Haha, same thing happened to us today at 13w 2d. Baby apparently "sounds" like a girl (high HR in the 160s) but looks kinda like a boy :-P She couldn't give us a definitive either. 
  • Options
    @MLC1990 The heartrate theory has been totally debunked.  My son's heartrate was always in the 170's.  :)  

I think the accuracy of the guess at 11w is around 50%, 60-70% at 12w, and closer to 80% at 13w.  Not sure where I read that though.  My tech said she was 85% sure it was a boy at 12w5d and she was right. 
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Options
    intersex is my guess!
  • Options
    @mom2case‌ I was 13w 2d at this US. Lets hope for a boy because she also told me peanut had huge feet. Haha.

She just had a hard time visualizing because baby is laying breech with knees scrunched up.
  • Options
    People get angry because they are asked to make a call that they could be completely wrong about because they are not trained in the area of making said guess. How hard is it to wait another 8 weeks for you to have a more definitive answer? Is all of the blue and pink crap going to be bought out by then?

I'm also pissed that people think of these scans solely as an attempt to find out the sex of their baby. Yes, that's a nice add on, but focus on what they are really intended for and that's to check for markers that could indicate health problems. Just be thankful if the baby is healthy. If you didn't get a chance to find out the sex, then go for an elective u/s where things are a lot less intense.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just going to leave this here, courtesy of NIH: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17851807

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Just wait until your a/s and ask the trained professional

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member

I'm just going to leave this here, courtesy of NIH: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17851807

It seems like these statistics are based on having a trained professional determine the sex via ultrasound. Plus the sample size is < 500. I'm not sure whether a study has been done on "post your u/s picture on a forum of untrained professionals, and have them predict the sex," but my guess is that percentage would be lower.

My personal feeling on the matter is that I'd rather leave it to the professionals, and I'd rather not post a picture of my unborn baby's partially formed genitalia for the internet to scrutinize. I do realize that everyone is different, and if that's fun for you, go for it.
  • Options

Is every sonographer at every office in the world a "certified sonographer of first trimester screenings by the Fetal Medicine Foundation (FMF)"? Are they all using that particular ultrasound machine? Chances of that are very low.

Again, everything is so subjective to the circumstances under which it took place that you are not ALWAYS going to get those kind of results. Not to mention, assuming approximately 4 million births in the US every year (not even counting those that miscarry, etc.) that sample size only accounts for .01% of births in the US every year. So in .01% of the cases where you're told you're having a boy/girl your accuracy will be up to 98%... 

Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• Options
    By the way, my comment earlier was just more of a devil's advocate kind of thing... You can always google to find things that say what you want them to. I'm willing to bet that most of us are not getting ultrasounds done by the same level of tech as those in the study. So I would definitely take any gender guesses with a grain of salt until LO is out!

And by the way, it took scrolling through a whole lot of forum posts on google to find that study!

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"