July 2013 Moms

Naptime screaming

Is it normal that James is suddenly standing up and bouncing up and down/screaming bloody murder at nap time? Yesterday and today he refused to nap (well, today he finally napped for 10 minutes after me patting him for 10 minutes). He finally went down at 1:40pm after he had been awake for over 8 hours.

Zomg please tell me this is just a phase. He takes 2 1-2 hour naps for my nannies and until this weekend, he's been great for me on the weekends. I'm sure it's some type of separation anxiety, but yeesh! Kid needs to nap.

Re: Naptime screaming

• No advice. We're going through the same thing right now :( I'll be watching this to see what others say!

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe his teeth are finally coming in? That's my go to answer for random changes. One of these days the teeth with come and it'll be the right answer...Poor James and poor mama!!

My little love was born July 20th, 2013!

BFP 11.11.12

TTC #1 Since March 2012

• Loading the player...
  • No advice. We're going through the same thing right now :( I'll be watching this to see what others say!

How long has it been happening for you? James has been napping twice a day for 6 months. We had a rough week when he learned to pull up in the crib at around 9 months, but otherwise he's been great.
  • I am worried about V and his naps. We are not on a strict schedule but in San Fran he took 2 naps a day around 9am and around 1-2pm. It wasn't that hard to put him down.
    Now...yesterday and today this kid has protested, screamed, crawled away and flailed his body about. The second nap is happening right now. I just got him to sleep in his high chair and its 6pm. Not good if this is his bedtime. Not good if this is his new norm. I'm sure it will pass but good god?!?!

Sorry about James and lets hope this is a phase!

Bonus: 

• @lancomechica‌, I can't believe he's sleeping in his high chair! That's amazing!

He has always been like clockwork. 3-3.5-4. Today he was screaming like someone was torturing him. I've never heard anything like it. When I picked him up he was hyperventilating. It's like he is suddenly scared of the dark.
  • MRadsMRads member
    Ben napped from 9-11 today and then would not sleep again. He just went down for the night. It isn't uncommon for him to take 1 30-90 minute nap at DC. James might be ready for one nap. I wouldn't force it, but just follow his cues.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Lelo2006 said:
    @lancomechica‌, I can't believe he's sleeping in his high chair! That's amazing! He has always been like clockwork. 3-3.5-4. Today he was screaming like someone was torturing him. I've never heard anything like it. When I picked him up he was hyperventilating. It's like he is suddenly scared of the dark.
    I reclined it so that is why he can sleep.  This is the child that slept during fireworks soo....there is that. Crazy kid won't sleep in his $900 crib but the high chair is good.

Bonus: 

• This just started happening to us for te past week. He goes down fine for the first nap less than 2.5 hours after waking. Usually it's just over an hour. He's never been a long napper. Usually nap number 2 is 2.5 hours later. All week, even though he seems ready for a nap, he will lay there quietly for a few minutes and then start fussing. Sometimes he sleeps after about 20-30 minutes and sometimes I just give up. It's bad though because then he's a bear by 4:30. I'm not sure what to do... I feel like it's too early for one nap since he's not usually a long napper. Maybe I'll try a longer wake time between naps... Surprised to see so many of us are experiencing this right now.
  • Wow I am jealous of all the kids taking two naps a day. I am lucky if DD gets one nap a day and that one is usually 40 mins. She is a sleep fighter.
  • E went through this. It lasted about a month. It was a long haul but it does end. Hang in there, mama!
  • dinomama13dinomama13 member
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry @Lelo2006‌! I just got back on and saw this. It's been happening for about a week now. Just came out of nowhere. He's usually hellish right before his tooth breaks skin and I think teeth 7 & 8 are making their debut. He sleeps from around 8:30 - pm to 8-9 in the morning, rakes a nap around 12 or 1 that lasts anywhere between 1-2 hours, sometimes 3 and phased out his second nap. Sometimes he will still take it if he took a crappy nap at lunch. He's been fighting both naps and bedtime. It sucks!

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

• Lelo2006 said:
    @lancomechica‌, I can't believe he's sleeping in his high chair! That's amazing! He has always been like clockwork. 3-3.5-4. Today he was screaming like someone was torturing him. I've never heard anything like it. When I picked him up he was hyperventilating. It's like he is suddenly scared of the dark.
    Sorry to all the mamas dealing with similar fights :(

@Lelo2006, maybe try heading toward the nap a half hour earlier than usual? (Provided it's not the ears...) We had some horrible cranky pre-naptimes for a few weeks there with the increased mobility (and teething might have been a part of it, too). I tried a few shorter awake windows and that helped.

FX that all of the babies sleep better asap.
  • We've been dealing with this too recently. I think DD is teething, because she's waking up at night too which isn't typical. I hope this phase passes soon for you!
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"