April 2014 Moms

Cry it out? Or still too young?

At what age do you think babies start learning if they fuss or cry then mama comes to the rescue? My little guy is 11wks 2days. Naps are getting more difficult as he fusses with the swaddle, and continuously spits out the nuk and starts crying. We have been rocking him a bit to help him fall asleep but I don't want to make this the norm. Is he still in the age of learning to trust us, at which point letting him cry for a bit (I'm talking maybe 30 seconds to a minute) would be harmful to him? I swear, we had naptime down to a science, it took very little effort and now this last week it's been more like when he was 4-6 weeks.

Re: Cry it out? Or still too young?

• Loading the player...
  • Well now you make me sound like a TERRIBLE mom!!!! Sometimes when I am in the middle if doing something I will let her cry for a couple min till I can get to her. And.... If I tended to her every time she cried in the car I would never be able to leave my house... How do you mommies deal with crying in the car ?
  • @steph1977‌ you're right. I too have a difficult baby. She scream the whole car ride every car ride. I have to let her cry a lot too. Though things are getting better. However this isn't traditional CIO. Don't worry. No mommy guilt needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • steph1977 said:

I can't possibly be the only one with a difficult baby. If I didn't let my LO "cry it out" sometimes, he simply would not sleep. Ever.
    And I'm not talking a little fussing, but full-on screams. Yes, I swaddle, rock, and often nurse to sleep. I try singing, swinging, and use the sound machine religiously. For some babies, nothing works.
    Please don't judge me and assume I'm a terrible mom. Until you've had a baby like mine, you really don't know. My mommy guilt is through the roof, but I know that I'm doing everything possible for my little guy. He's not going to grow up with trust issues, he'll be a perfectly well-adjusted and happy child, just like my DD who was exactly the same at this age.

While I haven't had to do cry it out early with the babe, I know some people who have. No judging from me. With some babies there is just nothing you can do to console them and with some babies and some instances, they just need to scream for a minute. Flame me for believing that if you'd like. Haha
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Like the PPs said, letting him cry for 30 seconds certainly won't damage him but I'm not sure what it would do for you either. I mean if he can actually put himself to sleep after 30 seconds that's pretty good.

And @steph1977‌ - what you are doing is perfectly fine and normal. I have been driving alone with DD a few times when she was crying her eyes out and there was nothing I could do. And there have been a few nap times when she was overtired and mad about being swaddled when I held her and rocked her while she screamed about being swaddled until she fell asleep. That totally sucked but I had to do it.

And since she is my 2nd there are times when she just has to sit and wait a few minutes while I do something for the other kiddo. I don't let her sit if she is truly upset but she has certainly started getting pretty aggravated before I could get to her a few times.

You do what you have to do. Take care of their needs as soon as you can and they will be okay.

• The last few days, E has been napping, and starts fussing after 30 or so minutes, but instead of fully waking up, she has gone back to sleep and napped another 2 hours. I am thrilled with this! She also hates the car, but i have 3 older kids who have to get places, most of the time she screams the whole car ride.
  • Honestly, rock him to sleep as long as you can. There will come a day when he won't let you anymore. .and that sucks worse. DD stopped letting me rock her at about13 months. She would just get up and walk off to her room and wait for me to put her in the crib.
    Some of my favorite times were holding DD and watching Lost while she was all snuggled in.
  • LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited June 2014
    My girl is super easy. We did two weeks where we rocked her to a very drowsy state and set her down (no crying). She learned to self soothe and now we can swaddle her in her crib awake and she goes out. There were never any tears. My son on the other hand, is a disaster at night. There is no way he will fall asleep anywhere BUT in our arms and even then he SCREAMS! Tonight it took me over an hour of rocking and cooing to put him out. Having one easy baby and one hard baby is very eye opening.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just wanted to be clear that CIO is a specific sleep training technique of not responding to nighttime cries or delaying one's response to set intervals. It is not the same thing when a fussy baby cries while a parent sushes, rocks, offers a paci, tries to nurse, etc. Babies cry and psychologically it's totally different to cry while being tended to rather than crying a crib at night without a parent coming in. My high needs DS1 did tons of crying while we held, rocked, etc, but the one time we tried to lay him down in his crib and walk out without picking him up so completely flipped him out that he puked. We never did it again- he knew the difference and so did we. Choosing to sleep train is a parenting choice that she be well researched and planned out, letting a 2-3 month old fuss and cry here and there is life, purposing sleep training a 2-3 month old is totally different and ill-advised in my opinion for countless reasons.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • steph1977steph1977 member
    edited June 2014
    Glad to know that I'm not alone! I do understand that it's not necessarily CIO, as during the night he is always tended to. He just happens to be a very grumpy baby the minute he is set down. I wish I could say that it's a few seconds of fussing and crying here and there, but it's full-on screaming (with tears). It is survival as pp said, otherwise my other child would go hungry and I would bathe even less frequently than I do now ;)
  • Use your common sense and mommy judgement. If you are going to the bathroom, cooking dinner, tending to another kid, or just need a break for a minute, etc., it's fine. You aren't going to traumatize your child emotionally. CIO is such a mommy guilt issue. A few minutes of crying is NOT neglect or abuse.

happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"