Stay at Home Moms

Survival tips for husband business trip

Ok. So DH is going away this week to CA. This is his first real trip since we got married. And I'm nervous.
Any tips for surviving? DS1 is 3. DS2 is 1.
I keep telling myself that it's really just one more hour that I have to get through until bedtime. But I am dreading putting them both to bed myself. Usually DH takes the baby while I get the toddler.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Survival tips for husband business trip

• I have a play yard area he can play in. He's unfortunately outgrown wanting to be contained in bouncy seat and cries and cries.
  • edited June 2014
    Let your three year old play while you put the baby down for bed then put your three year old to bed. That is what I do and I have two kids two years apart.
    I would bathe them together then take DD to her room to play quietly while I rocked DS. She usually sat there playing with her dolls or "reading" books while I rocked DS. She had to walk past DS's door to get into any real trouble so it worked well.

You will figure it out. I always worry about handling it on my own, but honestly it is almost easier in ways to handle the kids while DH is gone. There are less household chores - less laundry, no packing of lunches, easier meals, less dishes.... There is no dinner chaos. I make easier meals and/or I make dinner during nap time and reheat at dinner time. If things get chaotic we go do something fun. Getting out wears the kids out, gives me some down time, and keeps the house cleaner so we find more reasons to get out and do something - park, splash pad, take a walk, library, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess that here is what I would do. 
    Bring pajamas into the bathroom with you.  Bathe both kids, then take them out one at a time and put them in their PJ's.  Brush teeth before you leave the bathroom. 

After bath, put the 1 year old in his crib with a couple of toys, and do the normal bedtime routine with your three year old.  If your 1 y/o screams the whole time, well, it happens.  After your 3 y/o is settled, put the 1 y/o to bed. 

• Whenever I have to do both kids, I will put the toddler in the high chair with a treat in front of the TV while I put the baby down. Not ideal, but okay for a few days in survival mode.
  • KateMW said:
    My advice is relax and realize people do this every week of the year or for months at a time. It might not go great, but nobody will die.

Yep, this.
    photo 3104d09c-3cc7-4177-aed6-da3344fdf17f_zpsbb1f9ce7.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You'll be fine! My girls have always had their bedtimes together, so things didn't get dicey with bedtime when DH was traveling until we added #3 and he went to sleep at a different time than his sisters (it was especially hard for the year+ all three shared a room). He went down earlier, so I would bathe all three together, then send the older kids to play or watch TV in the family room while I put him down. Once he was asleep I went and read their stories and put them to bed. I find that when DH isn't around at bedtime I'm so worried about getting everyone to bed on time that I end up getting them in bed earlier than DH does (when he's home he generally does bedtime), which is nice.

I also find that when DH is traveling I try to keep us extra busy during the day. It helps me miss him a little less and the kids are usually a bit sleepier, so bedtime is easier and they sleep better during the night. So we generally go to the playground every day instead of every couple of days, have a few extra get togethers with friends, usually try to plan a trip to visit with grandparents, a day at a zoo, another at a museum. Fun things that they'll look forward to and more of them than we would do during a typical week. If we keep busier the time flies by.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah. I know it will be fine. It might even be easier without having to cook too much or pack lunches.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think I let my MIL psych me out with her negative talk about how hard it will be and wouldn't I need her help everyday all day.
  • Honestly...It's not that hard. I do it probably every 6 weeks or so. Just be calm and realize that you've got this! Besides, it's summer -- plenty to do with little ones!!!
  • It's really not hard. It's boring and sometimes lonely, but not super hard. My husband travels almost every week. :(
  • My brother has also offered to bring over pizza and play with the kids. He's a good uncle.
    My MIL is a nice lady, but she isn't the best at watching them.
    Thanks for all the support.
  • My brother has also offered to bring over pizza and play with the kids. He's a good uncle. My MIL is a nice lady, but she isn't the best at watching them. Thanks for all the support.
    What a great uncle!   I always keep dinners simple when dh is out of town (grilled cheese, scrambled eggs...)  Take them outside and get them nice and tired for bedtime. 
    I realize for a lot of people who have a dh who travels a lot, just one week is no big deal. But, if you've never had to do it before it or rarely have to, it can be stressful. 

~Mama to two daughters and baby #3 coming soon~
  • Yep I do this quite a bit. Dinner is always easy food. I put the kids to bed youngest to oldest while the older ones watch TV. Really it's not that hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"