December 2013 Moms

Meat!

When do you start LO on meat? And umm...gulp...how to make it yourself? Thanks mamas!

Re: Meat!

• Our pedi said to wait until 7 months or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Canadian doctors now often recommend pureed meat (including some fish) as a first food, for protein and iron. I didn't do it first, but have given DS pureed beef and chicken so far (store bought). He thinks it's gross, and I don't blame him. He likes it slightly more when mixed with sweet potatoes. However, he doesn't swallow enough of it yet for me to want to go to the effort of making it at home.
  • Loading the player...
  • We give LO chicken shortly after turning six months but he chews really well. I use https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com as a general guideline as to when to start what. Our pedi just recommended to cook LO something different if our meat was going to be spicy but otherwise she said seasonings are fine. The first time I made him some, I baked his plain in the same baking dish as my seasoned one. He loved it and I think I will do seasoned for him next time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • My cookbook has it after 8 months. I haven't made any for DS2, but for DS1, I pureed cooked ground turkey or ground lamb. Both turkey and lamb (according to my book) are easily digestible. DS1 wouldn't eat either plain, I had to mix 2 oz meat with 1 oz apple or pear.

• juliagulia38juliagulia38 member
    edited June 2014
    I wondered about this too. I asked my pedi and he said if you introduce one food every couple days and go through all the fruits and veggies, by the time you would get to the meat would be closer to 8-9 months. That was the answer he gave me..I'm not really following that rule. I give LO things from the table but she has a hard time "eating" it and will gag. So I guess I'll just use my mommy instinct.

Eta: Sorry, realized this wasn't that helpful.
  • lp0lp0 member
    I plan to introduce meats soon as my ped recommends it between 6 - 8 months.

With DS is used to just boil or bake the meat and then purée it. Then I would mix it with veggies or mashed potatoes.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• stacers33stacers33 member
    edited June 2014
    DD can't get enough of meat - not pureed meat - but the meat we eat - tri tip, pulled pork, meat marinara sauce, shredded chicken, etc. We BLW so she eats what we eat and it works really well for us.
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• When you guys say chew- you me with his gums? I have no idea if my little man chews....
  • I'm too scared of meat diapers, so I'm in no rush yet. Also not helpful.

What are these meat diapers you speak of? Everyone was right about solids diapers being gross so now I'm scared.

• We started giving meat and chicken when my LO was 6 months. We cook it very well and mash it up with a fork, it usually shreds itself , he chews it with his jaws( since he doesn't have
    any teeth) and he eats it pretty well.

I didn't see that much difference with his diapers. For me it got really bad when I introduced fruits ( specially bananas).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"