TTC after 35
Options

Stressed about Relaxin

A couple of days ago, I was helping DH lift a big but not heavy box and I seemed to have pulled something in my back.  I had bent my knees and everything.  Luckily, I've mostly recovered already.

It seems that us women are particularly prone to injury in the luteal phase from seemingly innocuous movements.  The estrogen drop weakens muscles and ligaments, and relaxin kicks in before AF, loosening the ligaments.  Female athletes get more injuries in this phase too.

Does this affect you?  What's your strategy for prevention/coping?

For those who've been pregnant before, how have you been affected by relaxin?

Re: Stressed about Relaxin

• Options
    tlc35tlc35 member
    I have read this and heard that ACL injuries are more common in the luteal phase but I haven't noticed feeling different myself or changed anything I do.
    Me: 37                                               
    DH: 45
    BFP #1 3/19/14  EDD 11/29/14 MMC D&C 4/24/14
    BFP #2  12/4/14 Beta #1 218 at 12dpo Beta #2 1055 at 16dpo
    Saw heartbeat 12/29.  Please be a rainbow.
    imagerainbows

All welcome                                   

• Options
    I've heard about this, too. I tore my ACL right towards the end of my luteal phase.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012.  BFP#3--5/20/14--another MMC 6/16/14.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When i was 7 months along with my D i threw out my back pretty bad……doing something that was fairly normal for me. 

SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

BFP- 10-16-14 EDD 6/13/15: MC 12-1-14 
  • Options
    As a klutz, I hurt myself equally no matter where I am hormonally. ;) When pregnant, I just was more conscious about yoga poses and stretching but I didn't injure myself. I do notice I drop things more when I'm menstruating and I have heard women get more clumsy during that week.

• Options
    NeonNoonNeonNoon member
    edited June 2014
    Ouch @jchickiem did you recover fully?

I'm a total premenstrual klutz @MelissaMiso - it's embarrassing (think stumbling on platforms)

that's exactly what I'm not looking forward to! @KirstenAlecia :(

I envy you @tlc35
  • Options
    I recovered okay after I had the torn ACL replaced with a cadaver tendon. Most days my knee does not bother me, but I too would describe myself as a premenstrual klutz!

Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012.  BFP#3--5/20/14--another MMC 6/16/14.
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my youngest I kept twisting my ankle. One day at about 7 months I was standing there talking to someone and just fell over because both my ankles gave out. I was so embarrassed.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    that's awful! @Pintobean39
  • Options
    Ugh.  My hips, knees, ankles, and feet will NEVER BE THE SAME.  Totally worth it, though! :)
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    NeonNoon maybe you won't have further issues- and I am a klutz...
  • Options
    Funny you should mention it, about 4 days before AF was due (about a week ago) I fell in front of my house. Luckily I didn't hurt myself too badly, but it was so random. I don't remember twisting my ankle or anything, i think it was more of a balance issue as I was leaning over the half step in front of the sidewalk to look down the street then just kind of went down in what felt like slow motion. DH was sure it meant I was pg, but alas no. I'm also clumsy by nature, so that's definitely a bad combination
    Me: 41, DH: 42, married 2009
    BFP #1: 12/05/2012; EDD 08/09/2013; MC 01/2013 (missed, D&C)
    BFP #2: 12/19/2013; EDD 08/25/2014; MC 01/2014 (natural)
  • Options
    Hmm. I've never noticed relaxin in my LP. I tend to run into the sides of doorways, but I think that I have poor peripheral vision. Does anyone else do that?

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    I do.  I bang my elbows and knees into things, including sides of doorways, typically before my period.  I'm blaming the estrogen dip.  It's not me! It's my hormones!
  • Options

Hmm. I've never noticed relaxin in my LP. I tend to run into the sides of doorways, but I think that I have poor peripheral vision. Does anyone else do that?

Have you had your eyes checked in a while? That sounds scary.

I run into everything all the time but I have Ménière's and I'm off now more than I'm on. Having to do all these treatments I've noticed changes up or down in estrogen set off my spells.

Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Have you had your eyes checked in a while? That sounds scary. I run into everything all the time but I have Ménière's and I'm off now more than I'm on. Having to do all these treatments I've noticed changes up or down in estrogen set off my spells.
    @Pintobean39: I think this happened twice in one or two days. Maybe I was rushed and it was just a fluke. If it becomes an every day occurrence, I will definitely get my eyes checked! 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"