Breastfeeding
Options

supply dip around 8.5 months?

DahliaFlowerDahliaFlower member
edited June 2014 in Breastfeeding
I haven't made any significant changes in diet or hydration, haven't had any illness, etc.  My pump sessions at work have been less productive over the past few days.  Usually if I go 4-5 hours and then pump, I would get 6 oz or more.  The past few days I have been getting like 4 oz per pump session, which is not enough for me to keep up w/ DS's consumption.  I had to take from my freezer stash a couple of days this past week.  

I believe some women experience a dip around 8-9 months.  Why is this?  Also, I have not yet had AF, so maybe this is part of the issue?
TTC #1 12/2009
BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
4/2012 FET BFP #3
5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
Baby,please stay!!
Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: supply dip around 8.5 months?

• Options
    Supply dips can happen for a lot of reasons. Some of the top ones are LO nursing less overall due to an increase in solids intake, illness (colds etc), not eating/drinking/resting enough. Stress can be a huge supply dropper. It could possibly be due to impending AF.

You said you're only pumping every 4-5 hours. Honestly, you've been lucky to get 6 oz of milk pumping that infrequently. Most moms have to pump every 3 hours to get enough milk to keep up with baby, at least from my experience and from what I've read on here.

No matter what the reason is for your supply drop, the best way to get it back up is to nurse and/or pump more frequently, hydrate, eat and rest (if possible!) :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm exactly where you are: baby born Oct 15, and suddenly I'm not pumping what I used to. I used to get 20 oz from pumping; it's closer to 15 recently. I've just accepted that if I have to have DC give one bottle of formula a few times a week, it's not going to be the end of the world and I'm not going to let it ruin BFing for me, and my supply seems fine on the weekends.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies.  All good thoughts.  

My supply is also just fine on weekends, and I'm actually off this next week, so that should be a help.  Unfortunately, I almost never have the opportunity to pump more than every 4 hours at work, so boosting pump sessions at work is not an option.  

I think I am going to switch out pump parts to see if that helps.  

I am already on calcium / magnesium supplement, so good there.  

I'm going to continue to hydrate and maybe drink some Mother's Milk tea, which I have found helpful in the past.  
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• Options
    I think the answer (as always) is to add pumping sessions. If you can't add them at work, add them in the morning before work and in the evening after baby goes to bed. Pump once a day while you are off/with baby to replenish your stash and boost your supply a bit more.

I know this is what I have to do, the question is when.  At night, I guess.  In the morning I am already nursing around 5, then pumping again before I leave the house at 6:30.  I pump as often as I have the opportunity at work, but usually I can get in no more than 3 sessions on a typical day.  I nurse him a couple times when I get home in the evenings, then when he is up at night - at least 2 times usually, sometimes 3.  I am trying right now after I just put him to bed, but I think I'm tapped out.  I might try again in a few hours.  
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• Options
    casey78 said:
    Just a little extra: PowerPumping at night for a week while watching tv really helped me with supply dip about that time. I hardly got anything the first few days, but I saw a difference by day 4, and it stuck with me.
    What was your PowerPumping routine?
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• Options
    i had a supply dip around 7/8 months, once DS was eating some solids. i just went with it. (it was not related to my period, because i didn't get it back until 12 months). i knew i had a big freezer stash to use, so i dropped my 3rd pumping session because i wasn't getting enough for it to be worthwhile. for a while i gave him milk from my freezer stash to make up the third bottle. eventually he stopped finishing the 3rd bottle and i started sending 2 bottles + 1 serving of solids instead. he always nursed a ton at home and overnight, so i wasn't too worried from a supply perspective. it sounds like your LO nurses a lot at home, too. IMO, now that you have the option to send solids to DC, i wouldn't stress yourself out with additional pumping sessions at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"