September 2012 Moms

Favorite Healthy Muffin Recipe?

Does anyone have a great healthy muffin recipe that they'd like to share?  I've had trouble finding one that is pretty healthy but still tastes great.  

*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Favorite Healthy Muffin Recipe?

• I use a pretty standard recipe from the original Betty Crocker cookbook, and replace half the flour with whole wheat, cut the sugar, and use a half a cup or so of applesauce instead (the original recipe has just a couple tablespoons of butter, so I don't cut it--not very fatty already).  Then I add whatever sounds good--shredded carrot and raisins, spices, cut-up apple.  They're not as good as sugary white flour muffins, let's be honest.  But we all like them for breakfasts on the go.  Sorry I don't have a legit recipe in front of me--but just letting you know that if you have a recipe you like, try substitutions.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • These Popeye muffins are great, and you can even cut down on the sugar. DS loved that they were green!

• Loading the player...
  • We love these banana blueberry oatmeal muffins: https://janetandgreta.com/recipe/bananaberry-bombs/
    DS even helps make them!
  • edited June 2014
    @melody921 Do the popeye muffins taste very strongly of spinach? I probably have 2/3 of a bag that I could throw in. I want to stick half of the muffins in the freezer for LO to munch on while I'm in the hospital having #2, so I don't want to leave something that the in-laws are going to have to fight to get him to eat.  He does love green smoothies, so I know he can handle some spinach without noticing;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @melody921 Do the popeye muffins taste very strongly of spinach? I probably have 2/3 of a bag that I could throw in. I want to stick half of the muffins in the freezer for LO to munch on while I'm in the hospital having #2, so I don't want to leave something that the in-laws are going to have to fight to get him to eat.  He does love green smoothies, so I know he can handle some spinach without noticing;)
    I don't think they taste like spinach at all.

• Muffins are just frosting-less cake.
    I use the 1974 Betty Crocker recipe and eliminate the 1/2c or 1/4c (can't remember which) of oil and replace it with applesauce.  

That counts as "healthy" right?

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I just realized that I forgot to come back and say thanks, ladies!  I made the Banana Oatmeal ones @tiffanyt85 and they were great!  I'll definitely try a few more of these suggestions.

I'm going to attempt these today.  I love morning glory muffins, but have always been intimidated by the amount of stuff in them for some reason.  Today is the day:)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I just realized that I forgot to come back and say thanks, ladies!  I made the Banana Oatmeal ones @tiffanyt85 and they were great!  I'll definitely try a few more of these suggestions.

I'm going to attempt these today.  I love morning glory muffins, but have always been intimidated by the amount of stuff in them for some reason.  Today is the day:)
    Love morning glory muffins! I've used a similar recipe and they are delicious.

• I'm glad you liked them! Janet and greta have a bunch of cookbooks, and I haven't tried a bad thing in them yet! Good luck with the morning glory ones!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"