March 2014 Moms

Retraction of uncircumsised penis

Which I know you are not supposed to do.
Last Saturday, my parents watched the kids so DH and I could have a date night. I had told her in the last that you don't have to do anything to an uncircumsised penis. Come to find out yesterday, she tells me how my dad showed her how to pull back the foreskin, during his bath, to wash it. That was from Saturday and I just learned about it yesterday. I immediately said no don't do anything, ever. I don't know how far it was pulled back or how hard, but I've felt sick over it since yesterday.

When the dr opens, I'm gonna give her a call, but was wondering if anyone had any advice?

We have been treating him for a yeast infection since last Friday. This situation now is making me sick and sad.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Retraction of uncircumsised penis

• Don't panic! If she did pull it back all the way, it might just be separated now. I'd peek very gently and see.

If it really retracted so easily, then it was probably ready to retract on its own and it's NBD. The problem is when it's forcibly retracted; it can cause infections and adhesions.

If it looks red or irritated at all, take him in. They'll probably have you smear some ointment on it at diaper changes.
  • @bennieangel‌ I'm in urology. ;-)

Are you talking about the place where the urine comes out, the urethral meatus? And he's circ'd? Fine to clean there! It's just that in uncirc'd kiddos you don't want to yank the foreskin back until it separates naturally, because that's like picking a scab before it's ready to fall off. It can cause scarring, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Charlie had to get a catheter, and they had to pull back his foreskin a tiny bit. It actually went back very naturally, so it wasn't terrible like I thought it would be. Hopefully it was the same with your son!

BabyFetus Ticker

• @pepperdmoth...no, it's like a little skin ring around the tip - I think maybe a little left over foreskin from the circ? I wish I knew what I was talking about here..haha. & I'm glad you're in the field...and not just some crazy peen stalker ;) HAHA. 

My doc said pull back gently at least once a day to clean to get any diaper fibers out. I noticed to cheaper diapers shed more fibers than say Huggies or Pampers.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • memo9memo9 member
    Oh mama, I so understand your worries!  I am super paranoid that someone is going to retract him when I'm not there.  The consensus that I got from another mommy group I'm in is that it will be really red and irritated if he was forcibly retracted. 
  • Don't panic! If she did pull it back all the way, it might just be separated now. I'd peek very gently and see.

If it really retracted so easily, then it was probably ready to retract on its own and it's NBD. The problem is when it's forcibly retracted; it can cause infections and adhesions.

If it looks red or irritated at all, take him in. They'll probably have you smear some ointment on it at diaper changes.

Thank you for the reply this morning! I finally had a second to say thanks. My dr said she'll look at it next week at his dr appt. nothing about it seems different than before. It had been red prior to that incident because of the yeast and also where the penis lays on the balls from not airing it out enough.

I was able to talk to my parents today and they said they didn't forcibly do anything just very gently and it wasn't much they said.

Your response made me feel better though. I was in a panic :)
  • @pepperdmoth...no, it's like a little skin ring around the tip - I think maybe a little left over foreskin from the circ? I wish I knew what I was talking about here..haha. & I'm glad you're in the field...and not just some crazy peen stalker ;) HAHA. 

My doc said pull back gently at least once a day to clean to get any diaper fibers out. I noticed to cheaper diapers shed more fibers than say Huggies or Pampers.
    Yup if he's circ'd it's fine to clean around the glans.
  • Look y'all it's a thread about ding-a-lings! JK

Ds1&2 are circd I didn't do any pulling back. Ds3 isn't circd and I still don't pull back. I just let his elephant trunk hang natural and clean it as is.
  • @bmerr which part of that was the question? I definitely agree with what your doc said! The "hiding" thing is normal in little boys and it happens to very overweight adults too! They are much more upset about it than the little boys are. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"