June 2014 Moms
Options

Caden's Birth Story (@puttyeast)

Caden William was born on June 21st at 8:44pm weighing in at 6 lbs 15 oz and 20 inches long.

It all started when I woke up at 5:45 in the morning feeling a little wet. When I stood up, I had a huge gush of liquid and immediately turned to shake DF awake. Holy crap, I knew this was it. We started getting our things together and cleaning up. I wasn't having regular, painful contractions yet at this point. I could've waited at home longer but I couldn't feel him moving so it freaked me out a little bit. We got to the hospital about 6:45am. I was 3 cm dilated, 80% effaced and -1 station.

I started to get regular contractions soon after arriving. They were getting closer together and more painful but then started spacing out. It got to the point where for almost an hour, it was all irregular and not very painful again. I tried walking around but this did nothing. We started pitocin at about 10:30am and this got things rolling again. The pain was getting awful, but I was breathing through it and thinking positive thoughts about an opening cervix. It was making me nauseous and at one point I threw up and pooped in the bed at the same time. Unfortunately, when I was checked, I was only 4 cm dilated but now 100% effaced. I felt discouraged given all the pain I had been going through.

I tried to continue for a little longer but started thinking about pain options. I had been trying to go med-free but was getting to the point that I couldn't do it anymore. We tried fentanyl first but it did absolutely nothing except make me super dizzy. I finally agreed that we should do the epidural at about 3pm. My anesthesiologist was the best person I met all day. He had an excellent sense of humor and getting the epidural inserted was not that painful.

Things felt so good after that. I was able to relax and we were actually watching whatever World Cup game was on. I was checked at some point (I think 6ish) and I was 7 cm. This confirmed to me that I had made the right decision to get the epidural. Just before 8pm I started noticing that every time I had a contraction, I felt like I needed to poop. Feeling the need to push was getting stronger and stronger so I called the nurse in. Sure enough, I was complete and he was at +2 station. We did some practice pushes and she was impressed. My OB was called in and we started pushing at about 8:15pm. Both my nurse and OB were complimenting my pushing ability (apparently I'm very good at pooping?).

At 8:44pm, I gave one last push to get my little guy out, screaming into the world. It was a strange feeling - I knew something came out and immediately heard him cry. We did skin-to-skin, still crying his heart out. I was so happy his lungs worked so well. When I saw his face, my first thought was how he looked exactly like his dad -- same nose and eyes. He was so beautiful, I was in disbelief that he had just come out of me. After about 30 minutes, they took him to get measurements and all that. This is when things started getting difficult for me.

My OB was still working some stitches down there and said I had two tears, one very extensive. The epidural was starting to wear off though and I started feeling what she was doing. I tried to relax but then started getting extremely lightheaded. I told them I felt like I was going to faint, so they took my blood pressure and pushed fluids. I was losing consciousness, but heard that my blood pressure was only about 70/30. When they laid me back and with the fluids, it started going back up. I was stabilized enough to have our parents come to visit and meet Caden by about 9:45. When they left, we needed to try to make a trip to the bathroom but when they sat me up, I started to feeling dizzy again. This time I did pass out and woke up in my own vomit. I had to be completely horizontal again and needed more liquids. The nurses seemed unsure why I was having such a difficult time.

In turns out that I had significant blood loss and my hematocrit level was borderline in needing a blood transfusion. In the morning of the 22nd, I was able to stand up and by the afternoon I could walk to toilet with help. We were discharged on the 23rd (Monday), but it was very scary sitting up in the car and walking into the condo when I was so weak. I am severely anemic and have a long road until I feel normal again. I still cannot stand up for more than a few minutes. Everyday is a little better, but it definitely a struggle not being able to do everything I want to with my son. I have not been able to walk around holding him or get down on the ground with him when we try tummy time. Thankfully, breastfeeding is going well so far and I still have plenty of holding time. It will just take time (and lots of iron) to get my strength back. DF and my mom have been awesome taking care of me and baby Caden. I am so grateful to have them.

And of course, seeing this little guy's face makes it all worth it:

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Caden's Birth Story (@puttyeast)

• Options
    Congrats! He's adorable
  • Options
    Congrats!!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    Congrats! Adorable!
  • Options
    Congrats!!

image  image
    Married: July 16,2011
    TTC since: July 2012
    Me: 29  CD3 blood work: All normal; Other blood work: Insulin levels high; HSG: All Clear
    DH: 34 SA: Count: Good (27 Mil); Poor motility (25%);Poor morphology (1%)
    DX: PCOS-IR and MFI
    BFP #1 10/9/13 / Beta #1 68 / Beta #2 162 / EDD: 6/19/14
    Jared Lee Born 6/28/14
  • Options
    Congrats! Caden is so sweet :) Hope your recovery is quick.
    image    image

• Options
    Congratulations, so cute!!

<3

• Options
    Congratulations!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!!! I can't get over the amazing cuteness!!!

Do you mind if I ask - were you anemic before delivery?

Wishing you a full and rested recovery!
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    Beautiful baby, congrats! I hope you feel better soon.

image        image

• Options
    RedMarRedMar member
    Yayyy congrats! He's adorable :$
  • Options
    Scary stuff about the bleeding and anemia but congrats on your adorable LO! Fx for a speedy recovery!

• Options
    Congrats, what a cutie!

Me (36) + DH(35) = Married 9yrs!
    BFP #1 May 2010! mc @11weeks blighted ovum, natural mc.
    BFP #2 Sept 2010! mc @9 weeks, natural mc. Diagnosed with Prothrombin Gene Mutation or Factor II (hetro)-baby asprin while ttc, Found out the hard way that I am deathly allergic to aspirin- OB put me on Heparin injections.
    BFP #3 July 2011 with DS (whom was diagnosed with bilateral trans-radial limb deficiency at 20 week A/S-with no answers why) born 4-12-12.
    BFP #4 March 2013! Early mc @6weeks.
    BFP #5 Sept 2013 EDD June 5th, DS#2 born 5-31-14
    BFP #6 April 2015 EDD December 21st Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   

• Options

Congrats!!! I can't get over the amazing cuteness!!!

Do you mind if I ask - were you anemic before delivery?

Wishing you a full and rested recovery!

@jclester614‌ I wasn't anemic before delivery to my knowledge. When I was tested at 28 weeks, I was on the lower end of normal so maybe it was an issue. Next time I think I'll be more proactive about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"