June 2013 Moms

Convertible car seat suggestions

My parents watch LO twice a week when I work. They want to be able to take LO out of the house (to the park, library, etc). My parents want to get a convertible car seat to keep in their car. What kind of convertible car seat would you suggest that is basic and affordable? They drive a Honda Civic so the car seat should also be compact.

Re: Convertible car seat suggestions

• Thanks @Steamboat1679‌ The reviews look good on the Evenflo Tribute. My parents wanted to buy a used car seat figuring that they won't use it a lot. I am very leery of getting a used car seat, especially if we don't know the family, so I'm trying to find them other options.
  • I have the safety 1st and do not recommend. The buckle sucks (I snapped Ty's tummy chub once) and the straps get all twisted. I have the diono radian for the other car, which is probably pricey for what you need it for, but has a low profile and buckles like a dream.
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Loading the player...
  • Funny, we've had the Safety 1st Scenera LX since day one and love it. Also I found their customer service to be really good, the adjustment strap started to fray and they couldnt send a replacement strap (something to do with how its threaded )so they sent an entirely new seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a safety first and don't like it for the same reasons as was. I also have an even flow triumph and love it. I sooooo want to trade in one of our car seat for a radian though because we borrowed a friend's while traveling and it is my favorite car seat out of all the ones I have used!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• dmlk413dmlk413 member
    edited June 2014
    We have the Evenflo sureride and like it. It's around $90-100 though I got one of ours for $75 when Target was having a sale.

@nykkolaughs‌ how easy is the Cosco to install? I'm thinking of getting one to keep at my family's in CA but have heard they can be difficult to install.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• We have an evenflo sureride in our civic. We have it behind the passenger seat and the passenger seat needs to be almost all the way forward to have the seat RF, but I'm guessing most car seats would be the same.

• Ok so a few questions.  One, does your parents' car have latch?  Two, how much does your child weigh and how tall?  The Scenera can be a pain to install and often requires a noodle.  Will your parents be able to leave it installed once you get a solid install?  I would not recommend it if they'll need to reinstall often.  It's also shorter lived than some seats but that's not an issue for short term use or if you have a peanut.  The Safety 1st Guide 65 is a good seat but if your LO is under 22 pounds it requires a pretty extreme recline and wouldn't work in a Civic.  Over 22 pounds allows for a more upright install and it's actually very compact.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• PC0909PC0909 member
    I have the Safety 1st Guide 65 and so do both grandmothers.  I needed a small affordable seat to fix in my mazda3.  I have no complaints, and actually find it easier to put DS in than my DH's Chicco Nextfit.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • @elmoali My parents only drive the Civic when they come to babysit. They have 2 other vehicles that they drive elsewhere. So they plan to keep the car seat installed. And yes, the car does have the LATCH system.

My LO is 23 lb and about 30" (we have our 12 mo appt next week). We have a Safety 1st complete air protect 65 in my CRV. I have the incline in the middle which gives us a little more leg room in the front. I think it would be a very tight squeeze in the Civic though. I will have to compare the dimensions with the Guide 65.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions! I thought maybe I was beating a dead horse with this question.
  • Ok so over 22 pounds the Guide is recommended as one of the most compact seats and it's at an affordable price point.  Otherwise you're talking about a Radian, a NextFit or one of the Graco clones but for occasional use they're pricey.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• butting in ;)@elmoali is this the safety 1st you are talking about?

https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=19761086&prodFindSrc=search&foreSeeBrowseSampling=15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty=1&foreSeeEnabled=true

Can you tell me how it compares to the sureride? We have a sureride (basically the only canadian car seat they would suggest on CSFTL) and find that it does take up a lot of room in our Civic. DD is only 20lbs but by the time I get around to buying a second car seat she could be 22lbs. Looks like RF height limit is 4" shorter, but for a secondary seat I'm not too worried about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"