2nd Trimester

bad indigestion/heartburn

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and had light indigestion in the begining. But now that I'm at the end of my 2nd trimester, I feel horrible with very bad indigestion. It feels like everything i eat just sits in my esophagus for hours making me so nauseous. Been through tums and alkasellsor. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Re: bad indigestion/heartburn

• Ask your OB they will sometimes okay medicine for you to take. Not all OBs okay it, but mine is okay with Prilosec so I take one every morning and can tell a big difference and can tell a big difference if I don't take it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Cat&SCat&S member
    Mine has been awful since 24w. My OB said pepcid or zantac is fine. I've been taking 10mg pepcid with breakfast and dinner, and it helps. Some. Laying down at night still sucks.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Loading the player...
  • My OB said the try Prevacid. It has really made a huge difference for me.
  • Yeah my hubby is weary of me taking anything... I am too for that matter. But next dr appointment I'm defiantly gonna ask my OB for something. It's just between now and then...... wondering if there was something safe to take. The Alkaseltzer chews work better than the tums. Thanks everyone for your input
  • I take 40mg of prilosec a day and my Dr. said it's fine. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mb314mb314 member

I too am suffering from acid reflux/indigestion.  Mine manifests itself as pressure in my stomach/burping/some nausea.  Last night I ended up dry heaving, which was tons o fun. 

I am getting some relief taking Zantac 150, which is category B.  I try to take it first thing in the morning about 30 to 45 minutes before I eat breakfast and again before I eat dinner.  It provides some relief, but I wish I could take it more than twice a day.  I am also trying tums after eating, which does help a little. 

I am also trying to figure out what foods trigger the reflux the worst - I had peanut butter yesterday and that really messed me up. 

I spoke to my midwife about it because I'm having a hard time eating anything that's not bread or carbs, and she gave me a Rx for Diclegis, which is category A.  However, my insurance doesn't cover it and I didn't feel like spending $200 for 30 day supply.  Also, since my stomach problems are more acid driven, I feel like I may be better off controlling the acid.  I think I"m going to ask my midwife about Previcid or Prilosec. 

Good luck to you!  I suggest trying Pepcid or Zantac and avoiding foods that may trigger the acid (which can be hard, particularly when everything does!)

• I take Prevacid per my dr's advice.  I had acid refulx before pregnancy and tried going off my meds and it was a nightmare.  The Prevacid has worked wonders for me.

Also, try eating more frequent smaller meals instead of large ones (especially for dinner) and dont eat anything too close to bed time.

A strange remedy that works well for me as well is chewing gum.  The saliva neutralizes stomach acid as long as your chewing.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• My OB recommend Gaviscon, and I've found the liquid form works really well.
  • path75path75 member
    I started having bad heartburn. At my first OB visit the NP said that Zantac was fine if needed. She said why suffer. But she did recommend small meals every two hours to help. By small I mean I piece of toast and peanut butter, apple slices with yogurt, etc. 

• I've started having bad heartburn at night, right before I go to bed. It's very uncomfortable and feels like I'm breathing fire! I just take a cpl tums then I'm out like a light! Your doctor might be able to tell you something better to take!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"