January 2014 Moms

Help with sleep issue?

So I am not really sure how to handle this, mainly because DS was always a perfect sleeper so I don't have any strategies I've already used. He was sleeping 8pm to 7am from the time he was about 7 weeks old until just recently.

The last 2 or 3 weeks straight it's been the same problem: he wakes up every day between 4 and 5am. Usually he will go back down after a bottle, but then he will sleep in until after 8. On days he goes to daycare, we need to get him up at 7. I absolutely hate waking him up and prefer to just let him sleep. But then again I'd really prefer him to be on routine, waking up at the same time every day (7, like he used to!).

So I am not sure what to do. I thought it was due to light in the room, so I got blackout curtains. No change. I thought maybe it was a wet diaper issue, so we got the special overnight diapers. No change. He already gets a 6 oz bottle at bedtime and I don't want to stuff him, so we haven't increased the size of his bedtime bottle, but we did start giving him oatmeal about an hour before bedtime. No change.

Not sure what else to do! I am not a fan of CIO, so I don't want to just let him scream when he wakes up so early, but I really don't want him to get used to this as his new standard routine either.

Should I move his bedtime back to closer to 7? Maybe increase the amount of formula he gets during the day? He currently gets 30 or 34 oz (lately 34, with the extra bottle at 5am) a day plus two "meals" of purees or oatmeal.

Should I just tough it out and eventually it will go away? I really miss my perfect sleep baby, sigh.
TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: Help with sleep issue?

• This happened to us recently. He STTN from about 8wks until 4.5 months. I tried to fix all the possible problems. I think he was just going through a transitional time. I know that's probably not what you want to hear. We ended up doing a bit of modified sleep training and my good sleeper has returned and I'm starting to see an improvement with naps. It lasted about 3 weeks for us. Hope things get better soon!

Married July 14, 2012

Hudson - January 7, 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks. I know it probably IS just a phase and will end eventually. I even feel bad complaining because I know how remarkably lucky we are that he took zero work to get to get STTN in the first place!

When you say sleep training, do you mean CIO? For the first week or so we tried to just go in and shush him and give him his paci (this always worked on the rare occasions he'd wake up in the motn before), but he would just get more and more worked up until we eventually broke down and started giving him bottles, which calmed him right down.

It's why I am wondering if I need to adjust his daytime feedings, if he really IS hungry at that hour, maybe he's not getting enough during the day? Blergh.
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• Loading the player...
  • peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited June 2014
    I have to be honest, this sounds more like a mommy problem than a baby problem. This is normal infant behavior. We'd all love for our babies to be on a schedule that works with our schedules, but that's just not how life works. 8pm till 4 or 5am is still a good amount of sleep and nothing to be concerned about, IMO.

ETA: Brennon has been a fantastic sleeper since about 8 weeks old. However, the past 2.5 weeks, he has been going through some developmental changes which have resulted in sleep disruptions. Some nights he sleeps 10pm-5am, Others he goes to bed at 9pm and is up at 11pm, 1am, 3am and then 7am for the day (like last night). Sure, I'd love to get him back on his old schedule (. Heck, I'd kill for your schedule!
  • Fair enough--I'm obviously also selfishly wanting my sleep back (I never fall back asleep after he goes back down, so I am basically getting up at 4 or 5am every day and am not.a.morning.person).

But it's the fact that it's a major deviation from what he was doing before that has me concerned--and how long do we just accept it? STTN is a goal I think most moms share, and it especially bites the big one when you have it and then lose it. When I was bitching to my mom the other day I said it was like being a millionaire who suddenly goes bankrupt. Like, is this my life now? Nooooo! ;)
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• sehudson821sehudson821 member
    edited June 2014
    @MissMeegs‌ we stopped swaddling and got rid of the paci. Those were some of the "problems" I thought he was having. Once I did that I made sure to get on a good routine for bedtime and naps and laid him down drowsy instead of asleep like I had been doing. The first night or two did involve a bit of crying, but only about 10-15 mins. Listening to them cry is not easy at all, but 15 mins once a night was a lot better than 15-20 mins 4-5 times a night. I just went into every sleep situation with a goal in my head, "ok, I'm giving him 20 mins to settle down before I intervene". However, I did go in to check on him and pat/soothe him about every 3 mins. I hope it gets better soon!

Married July 14, 2012

Hudson - January 7, 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• MissMeegs said:

But it's the fact that it's a major deviation from what he was doing before that has me concerned--and how long do we just accept it? STTN is a goal I think most moms share, and it especially bites the big one when you have it and then lose it.

I understand completely how you feel about wanting more sleep, but I think you need some perspective here. 1) it's not a "major deviation" -- it's a couple of hours. 2) he is still STTN by technical definition.
  • I agree with what @peanutmuse‌ said. Although it's different. .it's not a major deviation. My daughter would sleep from 9pm to 7am. Now she's going to bed at 8 pm is and waking up at 5 or 6 am to eat. A schedule she's pretty much set herself. It sucks getting up so early but I'm okay with it because I'd much rather get that 9 hour chunk than be up 3 times a night.

our little flower born 01.13.14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MissMeegsMissMeegs member
    edited June 2014
    I will just keep repeating "It could always be worse...a LOT worse" to remind myself that we're lucky he sleeps as well as he does. Trust me, I live in mortal fear that his little brother is going to pop out this December as a screaming colicky baby who doesn't sleep for more than 45 minutes at a clip.  (ETA: I just realized that's another reason this sleep disruption is bugging me so much. Fatigue is pretty much the only major symptom I've had with this pregnancy. I drag through the day even when I get a full night's rest, so losing even just two hours makes it extra brutal!)

It would probably be karma for me complaining that he went from sleeping 11 hours to "only" 8 or 9. Guess I'll just suck it up for now!
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• @MissMeegs - count your lucky stars, my DS2 is up every 1-2 hours all night long to eat.  I would have a parade if my LO had your LO's current sleep habits. 
    Just ride it out is my best advice. Who knows if they need the calories or not? You can play around and try putting those 4oz spread across his daytime feeds, or add an extra ounce or two at the bedtime bottle, that's only something I think you can decide if you want to try. We BF so I don't really have that option. I do try to get him to nurse longer if he starts falling asleep through the first boob at bedtime, but if he's had a lot of nursing that day I just let him sleep. I see no difference in his night wakings if he has a big feed at bedtime or not. But BM is digested a lot faster than formula so I it won't be the same for you. 
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yea, I kind of agree with PP's. Count your lucky stars he sleeps 8-5.  Mine had just started sleeping 8-5 in the last month and then we started getting random wake ups, night terrors, unexplainable sleep disruptance.  I've pretty much come to the conclusion that he is hitting a lot of developmental milestones right now such as rolling back to tummy, trying to move around more, etc.  I've resigned myself to the fact that sleep will be disrupted until he figures out that he can roll back to his back after rolling on to his tummy.  He seems to have forgotten how to do this step even though he developed it at 2 months old.  We'll probably have another round of waking when he figures out how to sit up or stand up and then not know how to lay back down.
  • Also, we have a big difference in when he has to get up for daycare (6:30 am) and the time he will normally sleep until (8 am).  I just wake him up and get going.  He naturally gets tired earlier in the morning and will probably end up with one more nap during the day but it's really no big deal.
  • @MissMeegs‌ -- I just saw your ETA about fatigue. Remember earlier when I said it sounds like a mommy problem! ;) As much as it sucks that you're getting less sleep -- and I absolutely understand that -- there is nothing inherently wrong with your LO's sleep. So my suggestion is going to be more related to you. Until he is sleeping longer/later or your fatigue passes, perhaps you should go to bed as early as possible and have your husband help with the bedtime routine.
  • I always have to wake up my kids for daycare. They usually sleep till 8-8:30 on days I do not work. I'm not going to have them on schedule to wake up earlier. On my work days, I wake my DD up by 6:45 at the latest, sometimes 6:30 because we have to be out the door by 7:10. After I feed DD, I wake up my 3 yo to get ready (6:45). One little deviation throws off the schedule but I refuse to wake my kids up earlier.

When DD was waking up at 5am last week, I figured she's hungry. I tweaked the nighttime feed and I think it's helped. She used to get her last bottle at 5:30pm and down for the night at 6:30-7pm. I started giving her extra bottle right before bed even though it hadn't been 3 hours. She hasn't woken up at 5 since (knock on wood).
  • Thanks all, guess I will be sucking it up for time being! ;)
    TWO Babies in 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"