2nd Trimester
Options

Opinions please!!

I am almost 26 weeks and a nervous FTM. I have gone to the hospital twice and things have been ok. My doctor has been great up to this point for the most part. I had a follow up with him today and he seemed off. He appeared to be annoyed that I went to the hospital because I was having pains. I told him I was anxious about a few things and he did not ease my mind at all. He made me feel stupid asking him questions and when I left I felt worse than when I went in. Baby seems fine and I'm honestly not sure if I'm overreacting or if I need to change doctors quick. I don't even want to call him if I have a question bc I feel like he's judging me.

Re: Opinions please!!

• Options
    I agree with PP. Everyone has bad days so don't switch based off one appointment. I used two different OBs for my two pregnancies and I love the OB I have now. The first was fine but did make me feel rushed during appointments so I never asked many questions. But the one I'm with now for DS is amazing! So sweet and personable and even gave me her cell number at my first appointment to call after hours just in case. Give him another chance, but there are great OBs out there if he isn't cutting it.
  • Options
    You are over reacting.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't call his office bc it was 5 am and I felt bad.. He is in the process of getting an on call person to help so when I do call they transfer me all over the place. I certainly didn't go for no reason. I knew he would have told me to go and I knew the hospital would call him once I got there and things were situated. Bottom line, I had to do what I needed to do to make surely baby was safe but I think I will give him one more try and see how it goes!
  • Options
    No doctor will tell you to wait until the clinic opens with whatever pregnancy related symptoms you describe over the phone because they could be sued if something happens. They always err on the ride of caution and tell you to go. Now, if you went to the ER during office hours (which I assumed you didn't) then I could see him being mad but if you had called him at 5 am he would have told you to go anyway.
  • Options
    Sometimes doctors have off days. The first time I met with one at my OB she seemed so rude and just agitated at anything I asked. I later on learned she was on call, I definitely knew then she probably was wore out. My next appointment I had with her was excellent. I actually was upset when I didn't get to see her at my last appointment, because I really like her. I just have to keep in mind that any of the doctors at the practice will deliver the baby and it's not just her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I went the first time for abdominal pain which he told me to do and this time I went because I was having sharp pain in my vagina and the urgency to pee every second that lasted hours. I was up all night. I knew they would call him or the office but I figured at least by the time they called it would be well after 5am. I ended up having a UTI and am being treated. I wouldn't say this is being hypochondriac really.
  • Options
    A) Doctors have bad days, don't give up off of one bad appointment.

B) My office has been very specific with me, unless it is something that I would go to the ER for straight away without being pregnant, they want me to call first.. (So sudden injury, sudden inability to breathe, things that are life or death for ME, not necessarily baby.) They told me this is because depending on what I tell them on the phone, they may want me to not bother with the ER and go straight to labor and delivery. Sending me to the ER when I need to be in L&D may actually slow down the correct treatment process since ER docs aren't always well trained in proper OB care.

C) UTIs are scary, I am glad you are getting proper treatment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ok not trying to be mean, but I retract my previous statement. If you had called your OB first he would have told you to wait. Obviously you didn't know those were the symptoms so I'm sure you were worried, but if you had Googled frequent urination and vaginal pain you would have found it was a UTI which doesn't require an ER visit. Not that you should feel guilty because you're just trying to do what's best and safest but I see why he was ticked.

• Options
    Id give it another appointment to see how your Dr's attitude is.

Also another great question to follow up with him is to ask him specifically in what instances should you be worried and go to the ER for.

My dr right off the bat gave me a list of warning signs and let me know if I was expereincing them to not feel bad about going into L&D or the ER but also explained that many times ER visits are going to be a waste of time and money for me.  That usually if you are in your late 1st thru 2nd trimester, unless I was experience heavy very painful cramping for more than a certian amount of time,  having contractions that I could measure, or having bleeding that more than likely any sort of cramping would be due to dehydration and/or RLP.

Good luck
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    I don't think you're going to find a DR that wouldn't roll their eyes at a patient going to the ER for a UTI.  I know UTI's are painful but they are pretty common and don't really fall into the "emergency" category.  

Do you have a good pregnancy book that you are reading?  It might be helpful to look at that for answers as well.  
  • Options
    I also want to say that you are not a mind reader.  You truly have no idea what he was thinking or feeling.

Did you ever have a day when someone asked you if you are pissed or annoyed with them, and you thought " What are you talking about, I'm not pissed at you at all."

Do you think it is possible you are being oversensitive or reading into the conversation too much.
  • Options
    Lurker here: Earlier in my pregnancy, i had an appointment with one of the doctors in the practice I go to. He wasn't my normal doc. I didn't care much for him. He was detached and seemed to have a "whatever" attitude. I could have swore he was high with his bloodshot eyes. DH thought his bedside manner was off, but thought I was too sensitive (we had dealt with IF for 4years). A few weeks later I was getting bloodwork done. The girl & I were talking, she used to work for that practice. That particular doc is also head of OB at the hospital and is the best guy to have on your side. She said if he was off his game he had probably been up all night in delivery or overworked. I was really glad I didn't complain to my practice about him. Like PP said doctors are people too. Give him Another chance.
    Me: 33 - PCOS & Hypothyroidism DH: 35 - SA is good Married since 2010 (together since 2006) TTC since June 2009 (we knew we would have issues and wanted family right away after we got married). No pregnancies yet. May 2013 - started first round of Chlomid & ovidrel cycle.
  • Options
    Yeah, I would really avoid going to the ER every time something isn't right. It means your OB is going to have to get all those dozens of pages of records and put them in your file and it makes him look like he isn't communicating with you to the ER attending. There are a handful of emergency situations that require ER treatment and nothing you described fits that. I would try to relax some and go to your doctor first and the EMERGENCY room only when you actually have one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ER visit is only cheaper if you don't pay the bill and just let it go to collections... either way the hospital will end up eating the cost if the bill doesn't get paid.
    :\">

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
    TTC 11/12
    started Metformin 9/13
    HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
    2/14: hopefully 1st IUI... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
    3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
    3/28: beta#1: 108
    4/2: beta#2: 799
    4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
    12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"