2nd Trimester

3D ultrasound

I've heard some controversy on 3D ultrasounds. Looking to hear some opinions, specifically on the 'why not to' side. Anybody?

Re: 3D ultrasound

• Can you specify what controversy and the sources? 

Yes, no real research behind it though. I've had some friends that have gotten 3D ultrasounds and they have loved being able to really see baby's features, and then I've run into others that say they didn't want to get one because "they didn't want to see in a clear picture something was wrong with baby". I haven't heard or read anything about it being unsafe, just uncomfortable for some mothers to be.
  • It's a personal choice. Really the only thing I have ever heard about them as to why people do not do them is that they are creepy and expensive. We are actually doing one tomorrow, it's a personal choice. It's not expensive and I have done my research on the place we are going to. I agree with a PP seems like now days a lot of people are getting them to find out the sex because they are impatient and can't wait until their supposed to with their OB.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Another vote here for 3D ultrasounds are just creepy.

During my anatomy scan, the tech turned on the 3D feature to see something better, and ended up giving us a print-out of baby's 3D face along with the regular u/s profile shots. DH and I ended up tossing out the 3D pics because they're just too weird-looking.
  • So if this is just opinions then I feel the need to throw mine in there too-

Do whatever makes you happy.

I personally don't like the 3D ultrasounds so I'm not going to pay for one but I'm not going to preach at people who want to have one. I did pay $60 bucks to have a regular black and white scan done at 16 weeks to find out the sex.

I guess I'm one of those impatient people that you all are talking about since didn't want to wait till 21-22 weeks to find out. But honestly that's not the point of the a/s and I don't see why people care what I do with my money anways. Now I'm happy to shop for blue stuff at all the yard sales I see. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• If you want to get a 3D ultrasound, get one. If you don't, then don't.

I think they are kind of creepy looking. I didn't get one with DS. But this time around, my doctor's office gives you a free 3D ultrasound if you have your prenatal costs all paid by 28(?) weeks, so I'll probably get it since it's free.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My OB's office performs elective 3D ultrasounds, but only at the 24-28 week mark because that's when the results are the clearest. If you choose to have a 3D u/s at that point, you will have already had your anatomy scan and learned of any easily identifiable problems with baby, so there wouldn't be any need to worry about what you would see in a 3D u/s.

If you want the 3D u/s because you're anxious to find out the sex of the baby, then I suggest waiting a while. If you want to have a 3D u/s after your a/s, then go for it. I'm wary of u/s boutiques, but if your OB's office performs them, I would try to go there.

I will not be having a 3D ultrasound because it's unnecessary. We are also team green, so we don't want to find out any more details than we need. But all of those decisions are very personal, so think about what's best for you and your baby and decide accordingly.

image      image

• Yep, just a personal preference.   We have to have U/S for growth scans once a month because of gestational diabetes.  Once I got past 16 weeks they offered us the 3d/4d look as well as the black and white 2d look.  Before this point its hard to get a really good view of the baby and his/her features.

Our pics still look pretty blurry because my little guy is breech which doesnt give you the best views.

Even though it is a little creepy, I still think its cool.  Its my son in there,  I cant see him 100% how hes going to look when he arrives in Sept, but you can still make out a lot of his features which makes it cool for me.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• i could not wait to see my baby's face! Now i love just staring at her !!! she likes to have her hands in her face though and we got video of her so i watch that alot hehe i feel like it made her more Real to both my husband and I, So in love with our baby girl!! 
  • They do look super creepy at 20 weeks, but my friend just got one at 33 weeks and she was so cute and chubby! If I get one, I will definitely wait until at least 32 weeks so she looks more like a baby. Now at 21 weeks, she is too skinny and would definitely look creepy. 

IAmPregnant Ticker

First Met: March 13, 2009
    Married: September 13, 2012 
    BFP: March 4, 2014
    EDD: 11/25/2014 
    Three furbabies: Franklin (8) Amos (4) Sasha (2) 

• kc192kc192 member
    With my DS one of my friends is an OB and she offered to do a 3d/4d for free and I gladly took her up on the offer. My ob only does US's twice unless there's a reason to do more so I jumped at the chance. Yes they look at little freaky and it's weird but it was also fun and it was great to see him in a new way. Would I pay for it? No. I'm cheap, this is my second kid (poor second child!) and it wasn't so amazing I would have to do it again. Will I take her up on the offer if she asks again? Gladly!! But no expectations for her to and I'm ok either way.
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• At my dr's office it's just a flip of a switch on the keyboard.  I just had an ultrasound last week for 12 weeks (cerclage stitch next week. that was the need for the u/s).  She pushed a button and there was our baby in 3d.  I loved it.  Made it more real than the regular pics.  Here's ours.

• My OB will do one for me at 28 -32 weeks and put it down as a weight check for insurance. I loved my other one of my son and it really did look like him! You don’t want to do it before then because they tend to look creepy. But in that range they tend to look cute
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"