Formula Feeding

Giving Formula Feeding Mom's Their Fair Due

Ladies, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your struggles, your guilt, your hard choices, your successes, your opinions and reviews. Thank you for not being sanctimonious about your parenting choices or about what your bodies are able to do or don't do or whatever. Thank you for giving your babies your best in every aspect of life so they will grow up healthy and strong and eager to learn and HAPPY.

I just thought that needed saying. As someone who's gotten the stink eye when I got out a bottle of formula in a group of moms, and one of the many mamas here on the bump that's beaten herself up mercilessly for not being able to breastfeed as I wanted to, I just wanted to say thanks for being in the same boat and reminding me how to row it with dignity and self respect, knowing that like yours, my baby is going to be just fine.

My LO and I had a rough start to breastfeeding but eventually were doing ok. We supplimented from the start and tried not to rely on it wherever possible. Going back to work started messing with that hard won balance from day one. That was at 5 months, by 12 months I was drying up and LO was so frustrated by my diminished supply that he started crying when I would hold him to my breast because he knew he wasn't going to get enough and he wasn't willing to try and then top off with a formula bottle. It was heartbreaking, but at the time, switching to formula completely was just more viable than fighting to bring my milk back. So here we are at 18 months, and suddenly he starts pointing to my shirt and calling it "baa" and resting his cheek against the exposed skin because he remembers that it used to be his "baa," and I feel the guilt and the struggle all over again. It makes me want to do everything I can to nurse the theoretical next child as long as possible, totally trampling my own knowledge that I nursed my first as long as possible.

So here I am, searching for the formula feeding board, and just relieved it exists at all, only to find I'm in good and familiar company, and that my fellow moms are as inspiring and supportive or one another as I hoped they would be. So thanks ladies.

If there is a question here, does anyone know why my 18 month old who hasn't breastfed in 6 months is suddenly all cuddly with my boobs again?

Re: Giving Formula Feeding Mom's Their Fair Due

• My DD went through a similar thing at that age. She would always put her hands down my shirt and was obsessed with my chest. Boobs are warm and mushy and cuddly, so I attributed it to her wanting more cuddles and stuff. She had been breastfed for 9 months, not sure if she would have gone through the same phase if she had been FF from the start. I guess I'll find out with DS as he's never had the nip!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"