January 2014 Moms

Effing nursing strike vent

cnctfcnctf member
edited June 2014 in January 2014 Moms
So DD caught a cold last Saturday and hasn't been bothered by it much. She isn't fully over it yet, but I think is at the end of it. Just today, nursing has been a struggle. She will arch her back, yell and squirm away. I tried giving her her bottle, but she refused that too. The only way right now is giving it to her thru a dropper...I read about strikes, but someone please tell me this will end soon! I'm so fucking frustrated. image

ETA: attached pic of what feeding looks like now.
image=
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Effing nursing strike vent

• If its just a nursing strike, they only last a few days (2-3), so it will be over soon. I know its frustrating (don't they understand we have a biological need to nourish them?!), but she wont starve herself. Keep on keepin' on, Mama!
    imageimageimage
    Tino--Already 4 months old!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Girl, I just thought of this now. If she's arching her back to stop drinking, you think she could have an ear infection or the inside of her ears are itchy from her cold? Another possible reason is she could be teething and her gums are sensitive so she doesn't want to suck. I'm sorry you're going through this and stressing. Let me know how things are.
  • Loading the player...
  • cnctfcnctf member
    @babychuu thanks! I really hope it's just a strike. I am so not ready to be done with breast feeding.

@RedSaffron‌ I thought of those reasons to. I really hope it's just due to her
    Cold (insert curse words at Chris here) hahah. I'll let you know how it goes.
    image=
  • I hope she feels better soon. 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yikes! I'm sorry you're going through this. Sometimes DD does this randomly, and I have to stand and nurse her while rocking...hard to do! I hope it resolves soon!
  • Sakura16 said:
    Yikes! I'm sorry you're going through this. Sometimes DD does this randomly, and I have to stand and nurse her while rocking...hard to do! I hope it resolves soon!
    I feel for you! When my DS stopped drinking from the right breast, I had to do this too. He must have really liked it because after about 3 days he refused to eat any other way. He's a big baby too (about 19lbs), so it was really hard. I finally had to put my foot down and stop doing it cold turkey. 
    imageimageimage

• @Babychuu‌ yes! DD is like 27in so it is awkward to hold/rock her like that to nurse! Especially because by the time I get to that position, I've already given both breasts and she is still so squirmy!
  • cnctfcnctf member
    Sakura16 said:

Yikes! I'm sorry you're going through this. Sometimes DD does this randomly, and I have to stand and nurse her while rocking...hard to do! I hope it resolves soon!

@Sakura16‌ nurse standing up and rock her? Oh gosh. I rather feed her thru a dropper. Haha.
    image=
  • cnctfcnctf member
    @xan84 she's slightly stuffed up. I was thinking the same when I read about nursing strikes online. I'm thinking maybe that's why she's ok with the dropper. She's nursed two times this morning, but for only 3-4 minutes each time, but hey I'll take it! :)
    image=
  • ccip82ccip82 member
    Aww poor thing! She is such a cutie though!!

When Iain had a double ear infection, he had a very hard time nursing. It lasted for about 24 hours. I was able to get him to nurse a bit-but it was a struggle and definitely not like he normally nurses. 

If DD is congested, it could have traveled to her ears. I hope she feels better soon!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I would take her in tomorrow if nursing is still an issue.  With my DS1 colds ended up in ear infections 90% of the time (which is why eventually he had to have tubes put in his ears).  When he had ear infections he had a really hard time nursing and sleeping.  I second trying to nurse her while she's is in the upright position.  
    Perhaps try having her straddle one of your legs facing you, then lean back and bit so you are tummy to tummy and have her nurse.  
    Also, I would suck out her nose before feeding to try and help her breath. 
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Arching her back could mean bad reflux
  • BabychuuBabychuu member
    edited June 2014
    Sakura16 said: @Babychuu‌ yes! DD is like 27in so it is awkward to hold/rock her like that to nurse! Especially because by the time I get to that position, I've already given both breasts and she is still so squirmy! ~~~~~TBQuoteBoxesSuuucccckkkk~~~~~~~~@Sakura16 Lol! Yup! DS is about 26in (I'm only 5'2" so hes almost half my height already) and like half his body just hangs off my side while I rock him. Haha, the more I read about your baby, the more I feel like our LO's are kindred spirits! So many times I've read your posts and thought "OMG, that's Tino exactly!" :)
    imageimageimage

• @Babychuu‌ haha oh good! I knew I couldn't be the only one! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"