January 2014 Moms

Turning the boobs off

Just got mastitis for the second time today at 6 months. I've battled oversupply from the beginning, I'm a milk machine. I only ever feed 1 boob per entire feed, and I only pump 1 boob per pumping session at work (3 sessions = 18oz). I've done cabbage, sudafed, ice. Now I get milk blebs all the time and have to poke them with needles.

I think this is the beginning of the end of my breastfeeding journey. Ideally, I'd like my milk to go 80% down and still supplement and feed some. Maybe even exclusively the traditional 2 boob way.

I think I'm going to start the pill to turn it down or off. Anyone have any experience? Which pill? How many days? I don't want to go back on the pill for contraception, just short term.

Breastfeeding has been the most difficult but fulfilling thing I've ever done in my life. Can't stop crying today.

Thanks for the vent and in advance for any tips. Miss you ladies, I really do. I snoop a lot on HDBD and really plan on being more active again soon. Jack.is still bald, happy, and healthy. :)

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

Re: Turning the boobs off

• Congrats on bf for six months. You are amazing. That is really hard work.
    I was a ff baby and I like to think that I turned out ok. ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I recently shut mine off as well. I was EP. I didn't do the pill, but suggest pulling back gradually. I did a cold turkey stop and while less than 2 weeks later I'm back to my flat chested self it was the most painful thing ever. I don't recommend going cold turkey. 

I suggest pumping less at each session and after a couple of weeks cutting a session out.  

GL and congrats on making it this far!
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats for going a full 6 mo! It's hard work, you better believe it. I'm sorry you're so sad. Just be proud of yourself for getting this far. Well done, mama.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I think 6 months is amazing and I admire you for it. I wish I would have been able to bf longer. Stay strong.
  • You should be so proud of yourself for the 6 months! Breastfeeding has hands down been the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. There have been a lot of times I've wanted to stop. It can be a wonderful thing but it's also draining, exhausting, and painful at times.

I hope you're able to work through your sad feelings soon, and start to feel better about your decision. I don't have advice since I haven't weaned yet but just wanted to send support and encouragement your way!
  • Congrats on the six months! IF you want to continue, maybe try doing both boobs? I normally feed both but on occasion we get in a one boob pattern for the day. Each boob then feeds more ounces per feed, so I think it more or less works out the same milk wise, but boy is the other one screaming by time it gets emptied. That's the whole reason I've chosen the stick with two boob feeding. Good luck with whatever you end up doing and you've done a great job!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Great job for going 6 months strong! BF is challenging and there are times when it's frustrating and I feel you! I'm sorry you have mastitis, again. Whatever you decide, you know we got your back :)
  • Jack is awesome.

That's all I have to say about that.
  • Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to cut out dinnertime nursing session and reduce the time I pump by half.... And supplement a little formula and see how I feel about it. If things are still out of control after this antibiotic course I think its time for some estrogen to tell the boobs NO.

Maybe the blebs will go away if my supply is more manageable.

We will see. Based on my tears today I'm not ready to give it up entirely just yet.

Uggghhhh

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• painttheair14painttheair14 member
    edited June 2014
    Wow, what a breastfeeding journey! While there is no shame in giving some formula and you can be proud of all you have overcome so far, the ladies in my breastfeeding group gave good advice: don't quit on a bad day.

If you decide you want to continue, you can overcome! If you decide to stop or go part time, that's fine too.

Eta spelling
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Morning!  I am a total 'lurker' on these boards, but I am in a very similar situation so I just had to chime in.  I have had a very painful and challenging breastfeeding journey that has lead me to be an exclusive pumper.  I would pump three times a day and get at least 10 ounces each time.  My boobs were made for producing lots of milk!  I have to start traveling for work next month and six months was always my BF/EP goal.  So I started to cut back a few minutes each time I pumped last week.  I had my annual exam this week and I mentioned to my doctor that I would be able to switch back to my normal birth control pill in a few weeks (once I was done pumping).  She said if I was ready to be done pumping I could switch pills right away and it would probably help dry things up.  I started back on my old pill on Thursday and on that day I was down to pumping 7 ounces three times a day.  Yesterday (Saturday) my supply totally dipped and I had less than 6 ounces ALL DAY.  I did not expect it to happen so fast and it makes me sad (so many emotions with stopping) but it has not been painful at all.  I would highly recommend going on the pill if you need help drying up.  It has been shocking to me how quickly it impacted me supply.  Good luck and be proud of yourself for making it as long as you have!   
  • Six months is awesome. I made it 4 and my supply just tanked. No experience for cutting supply except that mine came back a bit just when I thought it was gone so you might wear your nursing pads awhile after you think it's done.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Your little jack is so darn adorable, thanks for posting a pic. I have no advice but congrats for making it to 6 months with all the complications u had with breastfeeding. Hang in there and good luck with the last bump in the road w/breastfeeding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"