Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

potty training tips?

My oldest girl will turn 3 next month and I am struggling getting her potty trained. Shell ask to sit on the potty and do nothing. A few times shell go. 1 time she did number 2. But usually sgell go in her diaper and tell us after or not tellus at all. Im running out of ideas and ive been trying since she was 18 months.

Re: potty training tips?

• Options
    Take a break for a month or two and then try the 3 day method and don't turn back? That's the only thing I can think of
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What worked for us was a sticker chart.  DS LOVED his chart.  Also, we never did pull-ups.  Straight to underwear and let me tell you he hated having accidents so he was potty trained QUICK!  We got the potty elmo and potty elmo sound book, he loved playing with that.  Lot's of encouragement and patience.  Also, my ds is super strong-willed and I tried to make him sit on the potty like every 20-30 minutes in the beginning to teach him to potty and he HATED it, will not be trying that method again.  Everytime I'd try to get him to sit he'd get furious.  So basically I just told him to tell me when he needed to go and I'd take him and after many many many wet pairs of underwear it just clicked one day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    we are getting ready to start this venture

we have sticker chart and little rewards- stickers, m&ms, coloring pages, and other little things for encouragement.

google other potty training help- perhaps you will find a blog or something to help be successful!

good luck!
  • Options
    Read lora Jensen's 3 day potty training book ($8 on the kindle app on my iPhone). We used this method on my stubborn resistant 3 yo over Memorial Day weekend and it worked great!
    Lilypie - (7gcp)

Lilypie - (S3If)

• Options
    I agree that I'd take a break or two and not do anything potty related for a month or so.  Is she wearing diapers all day right now or just at night and bed times?  I would not do a diaper unless she is in bed at that point.  Just put her in underwear and take her when it would be natural to go (right when she wakes up, before you leave, anytime you see her fidgeting, if she hasn't been in awhile).  

I did not do stickers or rewards or anything like that.  If they're ready they do not need that stuff.  We did mini celebrations at the end of a week (out for ice cream) but the only immediate gratification was being happy for her and letting her be happy for herself.  
  • Options
    I would probably do the 3 day method and then give her control. Independence and having my DD 'own' her body and toileting is what got her trained. We told her you now know what to do and it is up to you. Call us when you need help and we stopped asking her if she needed to go potty. It was frustrating her to have us asking and it was becoming a control issue.
    DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Options
    I know that my DD was a little late in walking (15 months) but she walked when she was ready. Same thing with her and potty training. We tried because our DCP was trying, and she wasnt ready. So I stopped and tried again in a few weeks. I really believe theyll be ready when they decide!
  • Options
    fgomesfgomes member
    Hi,
    My baby girls turned 3 in may, and I never tried hard in potty training her until her birthday. I believed that it should come naturally. When she turned 3 all the pressure fall upon me, specially because she was promoted to the 3 years old classroom in her daycare. It was when she started to pay attention on potty training. Before that, she used to sit there and  mimics what I do, like taking toilette paper and than flushing the toilette, but always I was late, she already had made #1 in the dipper. Well, to make it not so long, in the last two weeks she started really asking to pipi in the toilette and really getting the job done, and yesterday she did her first #2. We had a 4 1/2y.o  little girl over to play at the pool, and I put the potty outside in the grass next to the pool and she went many times for #1 and finally for #2 when after she seeing the little girl doing. " Monk see it, monk do it". It was the first time she had a play date with a little girl, before that she always played with 2 little boys that started in the care in the same time she did. I think it was very motivating for her having another girl here.
    So, do not get anxiety, I am sure before the summer is over your girl will be doing great. Ah! something import that I observed, she really realized that she needed to pipi, one night when I was organizing her closet and had cleaned after her dirty dipper and let her nude because I was going to give her a shower before bed time, so when she feel the pipi running in her legs, she held it and call me loud: mommy I need potty now! I really believe that letting her without dipper helps a lot.

• Options
    FabulousMrs.PFabulousMrs.P member
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, my DD didn't seem to be able to make a connection between the sensations of bodily functions and what happens as a result (pee or poop) until we just put her in some cloth training pants. She needed to have an accident or two just to be able to figure out what sensation meant she had to pee/poop. We didn't yell at her or anything. Just told her "oops you had an accident...let's get you cleaned up. Next time when you feel that way, you just tell mommy and she'll put you on the potty." The regular diapers and pull ups seemed to wick away the moisture too much.

Oh, and to get the ball rolling, I put her on the potty right when she gets up in the morning. She naturally has to go then. She gets the rewards of the m&m and it seems to get us off on the right foot for the day.

One day I just put her in cloth underwear. I put her on the potty every half an hour. If she went pee or poop, then she got an m&m. She had an accident or two the first day. I told her "no worries...it was just an accident. Next time you just tell mommy when you feel like you have to go."  But since then she has been dry (a week today). For the last few days she has been telling me when she has to go potty so we don't have to constantly be on the potty any more. Right now we do cloth underwear at home and pull ups when we are out. But she is now telling me when she has to go and hasn't had an accident in a week. The m&ms were key for motivation. Stickers didn't seem to do anything for her.

It was a lot of work the first few days when we were putting her on every half an hour and having accidents, but now that she is telling me, it is a lot less strenuous. I still remind her if I feel like it has been a long time since she went (ie she is too involved playing with her friends, etc.) but she is doing pretty well on her own telling me now.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"