January 2014 Moms

Going out of my mind.

Ok, I know some babies sleep better than others and everything but I NEED SOME HELP.

My DD is 5 months and refuses to sleep. I was up 10 times last night in 8 hours. I'm going out of my mind. We have a routine. She eats both rice cereal and a veggie at night, then bath, then nursing and bed at 8.She wakes up at 10 hungry again and won't seem to sleep well after. She is up for the day at 6 and doesn't really nap.

Any suggestions?? I'm exhausted and something has to give! I'm willing to stand on my head while singing "row row row your boat" if someone says it helped them...

Re: Going out of my mind.

• We tried Ferber and she for a few days did really well, but she has regressed again.
  • BrittNRBrittNR member
    edited June 2014
    Well it took us about a week and she started sleeping better, but 3 days later we were back to square one. I figure I will try again this week.
    @rgoblue‌
  • Loading the player...
  • If she's up atv6 I'd have her back down for nap at 8. And I would try for 2 more long naps during the day. I agree with @sugarland726‌ that it's probably a nap issue. Hope you get some rest soon.

• I think she needs a more structured day. Agree that a 6 wakeup should lead to an 8 nap. Then 2-3 more naps after that, each after approx 2 hrs wake time until bed (as they get older this 2 hr wake time stretches gradually and then they drop naps, etc). My 2.5 year old still melts down without his nap let alone a baby!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Lemme preface this and say that I am no expert but to echo other posters, definitely your LO needs to nap. We did Ferber for all sleep: naps and night and I enforce a certain amount of time in the crib for nap time. We had extreme nightwakings and difficulties with staying down for naps prior to ferber. It really has helped tremendously and saved our sanity. Like @rgoblue said, you must be consistent and follow through on it otherwise the baby will get confused or wise up to your doubts. You can do modified ferber , but again consistency is the key.

Put your LO in the crib no more than 2 hrs after the last wake-up and enforce a schedule and predictable routine. Pick a week or two where you have no obligations and can be home to enforce the routine no matter what.

We are about 3-4 weeks out from doing ferber and only now am I feeling comfortable with small deviations from our routine. She sleeps on average 14 hours each day including naps but is working her way down to about 13 hours now.
  • I read that babies should be put down for their first nap at 8 am, so that's what I try for. Most of the time she will take a 20 min nap at that time, but every time I lay her down for naps the rest of the day she will scream for 45 min- 1 hour until I go pick her up.

I'm trying to be more mindful of her tired cues and put her down then.

Sorry for taking so long, I have my elderly grandmother with me today as well, which makes for a difficult day....
  • Now that I'm back to work these last 2 weeks, my LO has started screaming anytime we try to put her down for a nap...so I understand your pain! I do agree that life is SO much easier if you get them to nap before they're tired. My LO also wakes up about 6am and honestly isn't even up for a full hour most days before she's ready to nap. Maybe try after just an hour and see if she goes down better for you. Usually the first nap is the easiest for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    BrittNR said:

I read that babies should be put down for their first nap at 8 am, so that's what I try for. Most of the time she will take a 20 min nap at that time, but every time I lay her down for naps the rest of the day she will scream for 45 min- 1 hour until I go pick her up.

I'm trying to be more mindful of her tired cues and put her down then.

Sorry for taking so long, I have my elderly grandmother with me today as well, which makes for a difficult day....

I would actually see if after the 20 min wake up if she falls back asleep. She may end up falling back asleep and sleep quite a long time. With my first if he woke up after only 20-30 min I would let him be in the crib to see if he would fall back asleep. Once he had been in his crib for 45 total minutes I'd get him out. Most times after another 10-15 min from his wake up he had fallen back asleep. You could give that a try.

There has been really great advice and suggestions!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"