January 2014 Moms

Noodle legs

Apologies if this has been asked lately--I tried to do a search on it but kept getting error messages from The Bump. DS has been a bit slower than many here on some milestones. He's only rolled over twice, for instance, and I'm pretty sure one of those times was an accident, haha. I'm not super worried about this, but this is one other physical thing he's not doing that does have me nervous. He won't bear any weight on his legs.

When I pick him up to "stand" or bounce on my lap, he keeps his legs tucked up into his body and his feet curl inwards. Or if he has them stretched out, they're just limp, and he won't hold them stiff to bear weight. He does kick constantly when laying flat, and he will press back slightly if I put my palms on his feet as resistance.

He likes to sit in his jumper to play with the toys, but even though his feet can touch he keeps them curled up so they won't. I gently pull his legs down and place his feet on the floor so he can get used to the idea of jumping, but he doesn't seem to get it, and will just tuck his legs back up as soon as I take my hands away.

I'm definitely bringing it up to his doc at the 6-month visit in 2 weeks. But it has me worried enough that I thought I'd see what you all thought. Does anyone have suggestions for exercises or anything I can get him doing to get used to using his legs?
TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: Noodle legs

• Brennon is just over 5 months. He has been tall enough for the exersaucer for a while, but refused to put his feet down until 2 days ago. I just kept trying every other day, but didn't put him in there if he wouldn't put them down. He does "stand" on his legs a lot, though, so I don't have any input on that. But I would guess that the weak legs might have something to do with the lack of rolling over. I know that Brennon mostly uses his legs to push himself over. I would definitely bring it up, as you mentioned, but try not to worry just yet.

Just out of curiosity, how are his vocal skills. Someone once told me that some babies are movers and some babies are talkers. I don't 100% agree with that, but I have found that on days that B is more physically active, he talks less -- and vice versa. Maybe your little guy is just a thinker and a talker?
  • He is a talker, he coos and screeches and babbles a lot. That is interesting that the two may be linked!

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the jumper if he was using his legs in other ways, but he is just always a limp noodle! That combined with the lack of rolling does concern me. He has always hated tummy time, but has gotten much better at it and does push himself up on his arms really well. And he tries hard to roll over from back to front, but again he only twists his head/neck/shoulders in his efforts--he doesn't attempt to engage his legs (which is frustrating because if he would just kick or push he would roll over!).

I just hope it's not anything serious developmentally.
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm also wondering if it's related to to some sort of tactile aversion - different sensations on his feet/legs and maybe he doesn't like anything touching them and therefore doesn't want to put his feet down so they touch something. When he lays down and kicks is he kicking anything or just air? Maybe try introducing different sensations to his legs/feet - soft blanket, scratchy washcloth, cold, warm, etc. Just a thought!

It is quite true that if a child develops quicker cognitively or vocally that motor development will be later (and vice versa). I've had many patients come to me bc their kids aren't talking by the time they think they should. In most cases the kids were early crawlers and walkers - developed their motor skills quicker. It's like their brains can only handle bursts of development in one area at a time!

Hang in there and try not to worry. Just discuss it with your pedi and go from there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD was the same way. It isn't anything to truly be worried about at this stage. Something to work on, yes, but don't freak out. Every day we have DS stand on our legs or stand on the floor facing us. Just like with tummy time in the beginning, for the first few days they can only do it for a short period of time. But as the days go on, he could hold his head up for longer periods of time. Same thing is true for bearing weight. Just keep practicing every day. If he isn't bearing any weight by your 9 month visit, then I'd be a bit concerned.

• I agree with PPs.  Don't freak out, but bring it up at your 6 month so the pedi can check him out.  They will likely check to make sure his hips are fine, which I'm sure they would have checked at birth and at your previous visits.  
    Both my boys have been standers.  DS2 would be happy as a clam to stand all day long if I let him.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS was crazy verbal and not very mobile at all. DD is kinda the same way. She just started rolling (born Jan 7) and is pretty content to just sit and chill. I agree with pp's not to worry and just bring up to pedi at 6 month appt. Is DS small? Idk if it relates at all but both of mine are tiny. Under 5th percentile tiny.

• Thanks everyone--I'll let you all know what the doc says at his 6 month visit. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about and he's just a bit slow.

Worleygirl, he's definitely not tiny! Haha, he's 91st percentile for height and 60th for weight, so I don't think that is it--he is top heavy though, I wonder if that contributes. I think the reason he has always hated tummy time is that he has a 98th percentile head. Epic domes run in our family, DH and I both have enormous noggins. :)
    TWO Babies in 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"