September 2014 Moms
Options

Reflux vs Hip Pain battle

Hoping someone might have a little advice for a sleep deprived momma... I'm 26 weeks and my reflux at night has gotten so bad that I have to sleep at a slight incline. At the same time my hip pain has gotten so bad that sleeping at an incline is painful because it puts more pressure on my hips. I sleep with a huge U-shape Leachco preg pillow and put a regular pillow under the top part to create the incline, then sleep on my side at the incline. I toss right to left all night long, get no sleep, and wake up in pain. Anyone else in this boat? Is there a better pillow configuration or something? Something's gotta change if I have another 14 weeks of this!

Re: Reflux vs Hip Pain battle

• Options
    I don't have much advice for the reflux, but what about putting something softer under your hips like a memory foam mattress topper or a squishy blanket? I had to do this with my first pregnancy because the hip pain was excruciating!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks I'll give that a shot. Only thing is it will put my back out of alignment since my lower half will dangle so I'll have to also put a pillow under my legs to even it out. Basically sleeping on and surrounded by a mound of pillows... My poor husband haha! Wasn't expecting it to come to this til much closer to the end!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LTMamaLTMama member
    When my hips hurt, I sleep at an incline on my back. You can lie on your back if you're propped up and comfortable. I find propping while on my side is really uncomfortable.

DD1, born 4/10/11 at 32 weeks
    Cooking #2 :)  Due 9/18/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks I'll give that a shot. Only thing is it will put my back out of alignment since my lower half will dangle so I'll have to also put a pillow under my legs to even it out. Basically sleeping on and surrounded by a mound of pillows... My poor husband haha! Wasn't expecting it to come to this til much closer to the end!
    The only way my husband hasn't been kicked to the guest bed yet with my three pillows, two being body pillows is we upgraded to a king size bed last fall ;). By the end of my last pregnancy I switched to the guest room since I couldn't sleep/get comfortable for the last several weeks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    nienotnienot member
    Exact same situation. Bought the massive leachco pillow and it actually did help and if I try to sleep without it now I am shocked at how much my body can't handle sleeping without support. I do similar to you, with a hard pillow under the top of the leachco and then a soft pillow on top of the leachco and that gives me a relatively good incline to help with the reflux, and I'm still able to get some sleep. I too am up at least once an hour most nights but I think some of it is that baby is SO active at night and it wakes me.

I think the worst part of every night is initially laying down and feeling to hot lava in my esophagus shift into my throat and burn so horribly.

I'll let you know if I discover any other tips. Good luck and sorry you're going through this.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Are you taking anything for your reflux?
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    Have you tried taking some Tums or drinking a glass of milk before bed to help with the reflux? That usually does the trick for me to stop the burning.

I've found no relief for hip pain, though. I have a Snoogle, and use it on and off as well as switch between my sides and occasionally my back, and have found no correlation between the position I sleep and how bad my hips hurt. At this point, I'm just accepting it as something I'll have to deal with for the next 14 weeks or so.

• Options
    No experience, sorry. Just hope you start to get some relief soon and that it doesn't last the rest of the pregnancy!

• Options
    I had the exact same problem. I had such terrible reflux I was sitting up sleeping all night. It was terrible. My Dr. prescribes prilocec. It works like a charm! I have taken it now with all 3 pregnancies. I suggest you ask your ob for it. It's amazing not having to suffer with severe reflux anymore. For my hips I sleep with a pillow between my legs and I have a hot rice bag for when it's really bad. Hope you have relief soon!!
  • Options
    My reflux is really painful as well. It usually takes the edge off if I eat something small about an hour before bed and then take a Pepcid Complete right before I hit the sack. 
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat but with rib pain instead of heartburn so i still have to be propped up. I haven't found relief yet & was in tears the other day because i was over tired & in so much pain. A chocolate milkshake in the shower & a hub from my 3 year old made it a bit better, at least for the evening.
  • Options
    doeie04 said:

Are you taking anything for your reflux?

I take tums but it's not something I like to do every night, just when it's really bad. Even with the tums I still need an incline.
  • Options

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? Towards the end of pregnancy last time I was in the recliner for at least half of every night. It was the only way I could get decent sleep.

Gosh I hope it doesn't come to that! I'm sorry you had to do that! We do have a recliner so I'll keep that in mind as an option
  • Options
    The only thing that helps me w the hip pain is putting two pillows between my knees. Good luck!

Lindsay & Nicholas

12/21/11

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had bad reflux with my last pregnancy starting at around 24 weeks. I had to take zantac everyday, otherwise I had that burning, something stuck in your throat feeling constantly. It would keep me up at night too if I didn't take the zantac. I've heard prilosec works well too. 

• Options
    Thanks for all of the input! Some of these things I had already considered but sometimes it takes hearing it from others to actually do it - specifically regarding taking meds for the reflux. I've been stubborn about taking any medicine while pregnant and I have no idea why. Like I said I take tums when it gets bad but even that is something I try to avoid. They say nurses are the worst patients and that is so true for me!! So thanks for kicking me in the butt to just treat the damn reflux fully, then I can probably sleep however I want.
  • Options
    I would get something that works for your reflux. I would rather take something that works rather than ingesting something for no reason, that doesn't work. I hope you feel better! :)
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    Before taking anything besides Tums, I'd just give your doc a call and ask what would be ok.
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    My chiropractor helps me with both heartburn and hip pain. But I also sleep with pillows wedged everywhere :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I had GERD before getting pregnant and it got a gajillion times worse around 9 weeks. My OB took me off Zantac bc I was taking so much and put me on Protonix. Life changing!! Don't be afraid to ask for a prescription instead of OTC remedies.

Also, I love going to the chiro for prenatal adjustments and massages. Both are covered by my ins!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"