Preemies

Possible Spina Bifida

We had our daughters weekly wt check today. She is 4 weeks actual ... But her due date isn't until July 10. She is 5lbs 5oz today after being born at 3lbs 9oz at 31 weeks 6 days.

Anyway, last week I noticed an indentation that looks like an upside down v at the bottom of her back. No one ever said anything the whole 20 days she was in the NICU ... She moves her legs and arms and poops and pees well .. But her dr told me today that she probably has a form of Spina Bifida! And that we will need to see a neurosurgeon and she may need an MRI at 4mos.

This came as a complete shock because she is now 4 weeks old and this is the first we are hearing of it.

Anyone with similar experiences or children with Spina Bifida?

Re: Possible Spina Bifida

• From what I understand there are varying degrees of spina bifida, depending on the tissues/structures involved. I personally have a type of it where a vertebra in my lower back did not come together and fuse properly. I have no neurological problems from it. I had no idea until I was in my 20's and had an xray done (due to unrelated back pain). I hope the neurosurgeon is able to give you some answers!
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"