April 2013 Moms
Options

Food for skinny and picky toddlers

I need some help on meals that I can make for Brayden. He is very thin (both my husband and I are as well) and gains weight very slowly. His doctor said to feed him food high in calories and fat. He is not a huge fan of meat so i'm stuck on what to feed him? Anyone have good suggestions of stuff your LO's really like? Here's a breakdown of my go to foods: 

Hummus and avocado sandwiches 
Oatmeal 
English muffins 
he'll eat every fruit 
Eggs 
Turkey meat 
Egg noodles with butter 
spaghetti with turkey meat 
veggies with some sort of dip

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Food for skinny and picky toddlers

• Options
    ceamac0127ceamac0127 member
    edited June 2014
    Cheese!!!! Just make sure to counteract it with a fiber food too ;)

Eta: sorry I got so excited about cheese I hit reply too fast

If he likes spaghetti try throwing some ground up spinach, carrots etc into the sauce
    Whipped cream cheese on the English muffin
    Cottage cheese
    Full fat yogurt
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, Connor isn't picky by any means, but he does love anything with tomato sauce. Spaghetti, Lasagna, or any pasta with tomato sauce with spinach and seasoning mixed in. Those are very fattening. 

I also found out he loves lemon chicken. Squirt some lemon juice on slow simmer, use Greek seasoning and Garlic salt.. he'll eat that up.

Have you tried sausage? 

Cottage cheese with some fruit in it to try and mask the taste of it. It has a high amount of fat. 

Cooking with olive oil will raise the fat levels too.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, Connor isn't picky by any means, but he does love anything with tomato sauce. Spaghetti, Lasagna, or any pasta with tomato sauce with spinach and seasoning mixed in. Those are very fattening. 

I also found out he loves lemon chicken. Squirt some lemon juice on slow simmer, use Greek seasoning and Garlic salt.. he'll eat that up.

Have you tried sausage? 

Cottage cheese with some fruit in it to try and mask the taste of it. It has a high amount of fat. 

Cooking with olive oil will raise the fat levels too.
    I never knew this, I mostly use olive oil

• Options
    tondraluv said:
    I never knew this, I mostly use olive oil
    Yeah, it has a lot of it. Bodybuilders and weightlifters on Keto that need their fat calories in (because being on a high fat/protein diet makes you forget about eating you are always so full) drink shots of it. I tried it once, never again.

• Options
    I second the cheese, we get blocks of soft cheeses and cube it really small, he loves it!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    @knitfaced he loves almond butter.  I hadn't thought of the beans and rice or the roasted sweet potatoes.  He'll love that!  Thank you ladies

• Options
    Check out the weelicious website and her cookbooks. I have already found a bunch of good stuff from there!

• Options
    elbouelbou member
    I was going to suggest cheese too. You can also melt it over pretty much any veggie. If he likes cheese, that is a great way to get him to eat new veggies or ones he's not particularly fond of.

• Options
    I second peanut/almond butter. I always offer a few spoonfuls if that if lo hasn't eaten much that day. I'd also try adding butter to anything you can. Have you ever used coconut milk. It a good fat and super high in calories. Get full fat (not light) and put the can in the fridge. Scoop out the cream on top and add it to smoothies, scrambled eggs, guac, etc. It doesn't have a strong flavor so won't change the dish too much.
  • Options
    I agree on cheese. When Rylee is being picky she will always eat cottage cheese. High in protein.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I found tons of recipes for meals on Pinterest.

• Options
    What kind of yogurt do u guys use? I can't stand the smell of Greek yogurt so it doesnot enter this house
  • Options
    @jaime52005 he's lactose intolerant so we do soy yogurt (and cheese). He's not really feeling either of those.  

• Options
    tondraluv said:

@jaime52005 he's lactose intolerant so we do soy yogurt (and cheese). He's not really feeling either of those.  

There's very little lactose in Greek yogurt. Many cheeses have no lactose. Check the nutrition label; zero grams of sugar also means no lactose.

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-lactose-intolerant-eat-yogurt-aged-cheese-6130.html

• Options
    Logan will eat pretty much any sauce. He also eats meat if it has sauce on it.

Sometimes he won't even try a bite when I know he will like it. I put some on my finger and make him taste it. Easier said than done sometimes. Usually he will eat it after he tastes how delicious it is. Nine times out of ten. :)
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"