Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Too soon to travel to relatives after the baby is born?

My in laws really want us to fly out to their house for a few days for thanksgiving after the baby is born. I am sort of hesitant since the baby will only be 4 weeks old at that time. They will be coming to visit us a week or two after the birth, so they will have already met the baby a couple of weeks before.

Am I being inflexible or is that too soon for the baby to travel? I am a little concerned about the breastfeedingn routine, sleeping, etc. How comfortable would you feel traveling with a 4 week old?

Re: Too soon to travel to relatives after the baby is born?

• Options
    purtzpurtz member
    I would ask your pediatrician. We waited until after our DD's 6 week shots for air travel. By that age, we felt comfortable with her routine, sleeping, etc. too.

• Options
    Thank you  guys! Now that there is an impending birth, there is so much family pressure that I see myself getting pushed into things I don't feel comfortable with.

6-week shots! The perfect excuse to give my in-laws. Thank you so much!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel that is too early to take baby on a germy airplane. Also the week of Thanksgiving is one of the worst times to travel anyway. I would not want to do it with a newborn.

And as a PP wrote, you may have the baby late, which means your LO may be only a couple of weeks old and you will be in no shape for traveling yourself.

• Options
    I wouldn't.

I also want to ask, is this what you want to do for the holiday ?  Spend it with you ILs ?  If you truly don't want to spend Thanksgiving with you ILs, then talk to your husband about it.  

I just feel that this is your holiday too and you can spend it however you both want and you don't have to use the baby as an excuse if you both really don't want to go.  
  • Options
    We did our first trip when DS was about 11 weeks.  We were more established with breastfeeding and our routine by that point.  I would not have been up for a trip at 4 weeks.  I ended up having an unplanned c-section.  I was still recovering.  I had just driven for the first time and spending too much time walking was very uncomfortable.  I would not have wanted to deal with an airport or the lap belt on the plane.  
  • Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    I wouldn't at 4 weeks. FWIW my baby didn't get his first set of shots until 2 months old. I would not have done air travel until those shots were given and they had a week to take effect. So 9 weeks would have been the earliest I'd do air travel. Maybe ask them if you can visit during Christmas? 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My ped said 2.5 months minimum, because newborns don't have much of an immune system.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    4 weeks will be hard. It will not be fun! 
  • Options
    No way! Too many germs!! Nice of them to offer to fly you out, but try to focus your time on bonding with your baby and establishing your mama mojo before what seems like would be pleasing your in laws. They can come to you.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"