Breastfeeding

Hospital Grade Pump vs. Medela

Good morning ladies.  I've never visited your board before but I'm hoping one of you lovelies could give me some opinions or insights.

My insurance will cover the full purchase of a Medela PISA or the rental fees for a hospital grade pump.  With my first LO, I struggled with pumping once I returned to work FT.  I had an older Medela PISA and liked the machine itself, but I continued to struggle with pumping supply.

If you were given the choice, which option would you go with?  I still have the old PISA, so I have the option of leaving the hospital grade pump at work and not carting it back and forth.
BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

Re: Hospital Grade Pump vs. Medela

• My personal experience... My pumping time was a few minutes shorter and I would get a few drops more per pump with the Symphony than I do with my PISA. Nothing has worked to boost my supply, though, so maybe others see more of a difference between the two. The Symphony is a lot quieter and seemed a little more gentle, but they have both worked about the same for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Unless you are planning to take the pump with you, I'd go with the hospital grade pump. They are more powerful, and I've personally had a great experience with them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Ive never used the PISA, but cant say enough good things about the Symphony. Its quiet and i have always been able to get a lot of milk with (usually more than my baby needs for the day). Since you already own one PISA, I say you go for the Symphony.

BabyGaga

• Hospital grade all the way! I went back to work full time at 6 weeks and have successfully pumped for 10 months now. I tried ameda pump at home and got next to nothing, so I cart the hospital grade gone each night
  • Well that seems unanimous!  Thanks :)
    BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
    BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
    BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
    BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"