January 2014 Moms
Options

Reducing pumps

I am looking to alter/reduce my pumping schedule. We currently look like this:
Pump at 6am, 10am, 2pm, nurse at 7pm, pump at 9:30pm. I'm debating changing my 10 and 2 pumps to one pump at noon, or taking out the 9:30 pump altogether. WWYD? Pros and cons of one versus the other? I have quite a bit oversupply and make enough to cover his 5 daily bottles. Last time I reduced my pumps I was able to maintain the same amount of milk output, but if I can't, I'm not worried about that.

Re: Reducing pumps

• Options
    I'd probably do the day time one (10am and 2pm > noon) simply because I'd worry about engorgement going for almost 12 hours. Especially with an oversupply. That's assuming he doesn't have a MOTN feed, though.
  • Options
    I would be more inclined to drop the 9:30pm pump. My supply is lowest in the evening/night and I feel like I would notice it the least. I feel like my body adjusted quickly the the engorgement of going 12 hours. (I nurse at 6:30pm and for the past few nights DD has slept 7-6 and I dropped my MOTN pump out of sheer exhaustion.)

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want to drop the 9:30 so I can go to bed earlier (I do that time so it is 2 hours after I last fed him). But like peanut said, I worry about going 12 hours. Hell as it is in the morning I get 15 ounces. He does STTN, but I also pump a bottle for my H to feed him, so I am not really responsible for him overnight wake ups, if they happen.

• Options
    @MarBee1214 I KNOW. Did you notice I never actually made a big deal of it? I for sure thought I would. I thought I would announce to everyone when I dropped it. But I'm ashamed! I was like the MOTN pump's campaign manager!

I was just having SO much trouble falling back to sleep afterward. And heaven help me if I didn't get back to sleep before DD woke up to eat or something. I made it through the Bahamas trip with it but when I slept through the alarm for it after that, I just bid it farewell. I'm working on doing power hours and stuff to hopefully make up those ounces during the day.

• Options
    MarBee1214 said:

you finally dropped it?  I'm speechless.  Sorry you just lost supermom status :P
    Doing a MOTN pump = supermom status? Sweet! I've had to do one for the past several weeks because I can't pump enough during the day for while I'm at work. (Excess lipase problems.)
  • Options

I was just having SO much trouble falling back to sleep afterward.
    @bethughknee -- I literally just had this conversation with my husband this morning. He told me that it was all in my head, not being able to fall back asleep. I told him that pumping is uncomfortable and makes me unhappy, and then I'm stressed if I don't get enough. Perfect storm for insomnia. I usually stay awake until BZ wakes around 6am, then the morning nursing makes me drowsy. So he's been taking care of the baby while I sleep until he has to go to work so that I'm not only sleeping from 11:30pm-3am every night.
  • Options
    bethughkneebethughknee member
    edited June 2014
    MarBee1214 said:

you finally dropped it?  I'm speechless.  Sorry you just lost supermom status :P
    Doing a MOTN pump = supermom status? Sweet! I've had to do one for the past several weeks because I can't pump enough during the day for while I'm at work. (Excess lipase problems.)
    @peanutmuse When do you get to stop working?? If I missed an update or something, my apologies. Also, FWIW, if the MOTN pump gets to be too annoying I'm starting to really have success upping my day supply with power hours. I don't know how doable that would be for you with BZ around all day but he's a good napper, right?

ETA: I didn't see your mention before I posted this. I really did just have SO much trouble getting back to sleep. In the beginning it was like I pumped IN my sleep or something. It was NBD. Eventually, like you said I started paying so much attention to how much I got and then after the 4MW hit us (I would pump at 12:30, not fall back to sleep until almost 2, DD would be up from 2-4am, I would cry myself to sleep until 6am...) I was just so paranoid all the time about her waking up. MOTN pumping is so much more than just pumping. Sigh.

• Options
    MarBee1214 said:

@peanutmuse When do you get to stop working?? If I missed an update or something, my apologies. Also, FWIW, if the MOTN pump gets to be too annoying I'm starting to really have success upping my day supply with power hours. I don't know how doable that would be for you with BZ around all day but he's a good napper, right?
    @bethughknee, I literally pump every hour on the hour during the day to get enough for when I'm gone. And sometimes that isn't even enough. I have a 45 minute break tonight and my husband is bringing him to the studio because there won't be enough milk. I had to bring him to the studio twice last week too, it's been that bad. I've been struggling with supply issues, probably because he is such a good sleeper -- I've had 2 pp periods, and that seems to be the trigger for my supply problems. (That plus stress.) Saturday is the recital, and then I am DONE! No more MOTN pumping, woohoo!

Sorry to hijack, @sugarland726!
  • Options
    @peanutmuse‌ not trying to give unsolicited advice but with both my stints as an EP'r I've found that if I time pump too close together my output drops. Just something to consider.

• Options
    @peanutmuse FINALLY! Sweet release! Also, I'm worried that my MOTN pump is what kept my period away for so long. I fully expect to get one, now. Well...unless DD is only having flue good nights right now. ;)

And yes, sorry @sugarland726. Okay now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

• Options
    @peanutmuse‌ not trying to give unsolicited advice but with both my stints as an EP'r I've found that if I time pump too close together my output drops. Just something to consider.
    @worleygirl, it has been the only way that I've actually been able to sustain EBF, and only a temporary solution. My choices have been limited. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it much longer!
  • Options
    I would drop the 9:30 PM pump so you can get more sleep. Also, at least for me, mornings are when I pump the most so I wouldn't want to lose out on the 10 AM pump where I probably get twice as much then if I did a night pump.
    July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options
    valigrl21 said:
    I would drop the 9:30 PM pump so you can get more sleep. Also, at least for me, mornings are when I pump the most so I wouldn't want to lose out on the 10 AM pump where I probably get twice as much then if I did a night pump.
    This is an excellent point. My view is skewed due to working in the evening and missing his last feed -- I have to pump at night.
  • Options
    Average outputs are as follows:
    6am: 15 ounces
    10am: 9 ounces
    2pm: 9 ounces
    9:30pm: 7 ounces

I'm not sure if that will alter anyone's opinions. FWIW, when I pumped at work it was 9, 12, and 3. I was averaging 7 ounces, 6.5 ounces, 6 ounces, respectively. I expected my output to reduce, but my boobs just gave me the same amount of milk in shorter time.

• Options

I'm not sure if that will alter anyone's opinions. FWIW, when I pumped at work it was 9, 12, and 3. I was averaging 7 ounces, 6.5 ounces, 6 ounces, respectively. I expected my output to reduce, but my boobs just gave me the same amount of milk in shorter time.
    I wish I could get just one of those sessions. My max lately has been 6 oz, but it's usually closer to 3-4. I mostly nurse him, of course, but I used to get outputs like that when I would come home from the studio. Disheartening, since I haven't changed anything about what I'm doing -- I was just unlucky to get my period at 11 weeks pp and then again 5 weeks later. :(

What time do you go to bed? I think I would still be inclined to pump one less time during the day because to me, it just feels easier at night. But that could just be me.
  • Options
    Wow @sugarland726 - that's amazing!  I am just in awe...that's all :)
    July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• Options

I wish I could get just one of those sessions. My max lately has been 6 oz, but it's usually closer to 3-4. I mostly nurse him, of course, but I used to get outputs like that when I would come home from the studio. Disheartening, since I haven't changed anything about what I'm doing -- I was just unlucky to get my period at 11 weeks pp and then again 5 weeks later. :(

What time do you go to bed? I think I would still be inclined to pump one less time during the day because to me, it just feels easier at night. But that could just be me.
    I know. And I feel like this is a humble brag and I hate that. I don't typically post about my outputs, etc because I know so many struggle with supply issues and I want to be sensitive. I fully expected my supply to tank when I got back to work like it did with DD, but I got very lucky this time to maintain my supply.

I go to bed after I clean up the pump stuff. So pump from 9:30-9:50, then fill bottles with the milk, wash the pump parts so they can air dry for me to use the next morning. I am typically in bed by 10:15, but I am up at 5:45 and I am so tired lately.

• Options
    @sugarland It's totally not a humble brag. We all have different bodies. I admit I would love to yield as much as you do but maybe with the next baby! ;) And I think your DS drinks more milk than my DD so maybe our ratios are actually similar (pumped vs consumed milk per day), but your volume is greater.

Anyway, I like not worrying about pumping at night anymore. The 9:30 is definitely what I would be inclined to drop.

• Options
    Omg! Your output is amazing! I'd prob drop later pump bc for me that's the one I dread the most. It feels like one. more. thing. I have to accomplish before I can call it a day.

• Options
    Omg! Your output is amazing! I'd prob drop later pump bc for me that's the one I dread the most. It feels like one. more. thing. I have to accomplish before I can call it a day.
    This is a big factor I am beginning to realize. One more thing, when I am already trying to find the time to exercise at night too. I think maybe I'll let the bedtime pump go. If I could get into bed before 10pm that would be amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"