January 2014 Moms
Options

Four hour schedule?

A few baby books I've thumbed through lately seem to suggest that by four months many babies start being able to go four hours between feeds. Is anyone's LO on a four hour schedule yet? We're still definitely on every-3-hour feeds during the day, but DD is on the young side so maybe it's still coming? Anyway, just wondering!

Re: Four hour schedule?

• Options
    No. I BF on demand, and when he's awake it's far less than every 4 hours. My mother made me feel like he was doing it too often, so I tried to cut back the number of sessions. Everyone was miserable. So we're back to BF on demand. Spaced out over a 24 hr period, it averages at every 3 hrs.
  • Options
    Arya808 said:

I'd say about every 3 hours when I'm at work. When I'm home on the weekends it's probably more like every 2 hours which I really don't mind b/c it helps me maintain my supply. Mondays and Tuesdays are usually very good pumping days for me. 

This exactly. DS goes about 2.5-3 hours. And yes about supply after weekend. :). Breastmilk just runs right through them. Maybe at 4 months if u give them rice cereal in the morning might help a bit. But that honestly is just a filler and there's no nutritional value in it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Arya808 said:

I'd say about every 3 hours when I'm at work. When I'm home on the weekends it's probably more like every 2 hours which I really don't mind b/c it helps me maintain my supply. Mondays and Tuesdays are usually very good pumping days for me. 

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I also BF on demand and it's usually every 2 hours during the day. When she takes a bottle it's usually 4 oz every 3 hours. She very rarely goes longer than 3 hours during the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've yet to get to four hours. We also are about 2.5-3hrs between feedings.
  • Options
    Adam goes 3 hours between feedings at daycare, but when he's home it's about every 2.5 hours. 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I feed on demand. Dd also sleeps 8 to 12 hrs at night. It works out to be 6 to 8 feedings a day.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Options
    DD would go 4 hours but I still try for 3. She never fusses so I make conscious decision to feed her. At school she eats every 3 hours. I EP now except for mornings so I need to be pumping every 3 hours too.

• Options
    Nope, every 3 hours almost like clockwork.

our little flower born 01.13.14
  • Options
    2.5-3 hours here, BM. He has one MOTN feed. If he wasn't eating that frequently I don't think he could get in enough ounces and we'd have more MOTN feedings. That's my guess anyway.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    Okay that's kinda what I thought. She really just doesn't seem ready to go four hours yet, though it would be nice. :) Just good to know how things are going for others!
  • Options
    We're mostly FF, and she only goes 2.5-3 hours, but also only gets up for 1 feed in the night. We do the eat/play/sleep routine, but her naps up until now haven't been very long. If I fed her less often, she wouldn't get enough ounces in. She's starting to stretch her naps a bit, which means she's stretching feeds, which I guess means I should adjust how much she's getting each time?

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since July 2010
    July 2011: Referred to RE, started Letrozole
    August 2011: BFP #1! M/C @ 5wks
    September 2011 - September 2012: test, after test, after test... S/A, HCG, B/W... Diagnosis: unexplained infertility. Letrozole, Metformin... nothing.
    September 2012: Diagnosed gluten intolerance; now living strict GF diet.
    November 2012: BFP #2! MM/C @ 6wks (discovered at 8wks). 2 rounds of Misoprostal - nothing. D&C December 2012.
    May 2013: BFP #3! Hoping this one sticks! 4x prometrium/day EDD: 01/25/14
    06/03/13: 1st u/s We have a heartbeat! Team green!
    01/24/14: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    08/05/14: Surprise BFP #4! (Unmedicated, no pp period, EDD unknown)
    08/15/14: 1 u/s We have a heartbeat! Measured 6wks 2 days. EDD 04/08/15. Team green!
    04/08/15: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    03/29/16: BFP #5! (Unmedicated, 1 cycle TTC) EDD: 11/09/16

• Options
    pinkyxboo said:
    Nope, every 3 hours almost like clockwork.

Same here!

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• Options
    ac1259ac1259 member
    Yeah sometimes she goes 4 hours (EFF) but it's more like 3 usually...and she doesn't eat at all between 8-8 usually so I figure she needs to eat more often in the daytime

• Options
    edited June 2014
    DS eats every 3 hours on weekdays while I work, and then we EBF on demand while together. I don't get these baby books that indicate breastfed babies should be on a schedule, when basically everything we are told about breastfeeding is to watch for babies hunger cues and do it on demand. Scheduling feedings can lead to supply issues, so don't do it!

ETA:  Sorry, I read your post too fast and see that you didn't indicate you are bf-ing. But from the other posters it seems that a lot of FF babies don't go that long without eating either, so I wouldn't worry about what the books say if your LO seems to need to eat more frequently!
                        Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    DD eats every 2 hours during the day with occasional 2.5 or 3 hour stretches. But she doesn't eat from 7pm until about 6am.

• Options
    amt0312amt0312 member
    edited June 2014
    If I could, I would totally do every 3 hours, but DD isn't ready until 3.5-4 hours. Drives me nuts because all I want is for her to eat more than the measly amount she drinks (she's getting better, though, knock on wood). But we are EFF. I say just feed on demand. I read some study saying that babies and kids who are fed on demand grow up to have less eating problems anyways. 

ETA: Can;t find the specific study, but this is similar to what it said
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member

I BF on demand when Im home with her, which is around 2.5-3 hours. 
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We FF and he usually goes every 2.5-3 hours during the day but he's STTN. Hopefully with starting solids he'll be able to go longer.
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
  • Options
    We FF and we are more 2-2.5 hours, always have been and I have tried to go a little longer but he becomes quite the bear and acts like he's starving. When that happens in public I feel like people probably think I never feed my baby! Not sure if we will ever get to 4 hours, at least that's how I feel ATM.
  • Options
    My LO is EBF and if we are at home he may nurse every hour but sometimes it stretches to two hours. If we are out shopping and he is distracted he can last 2.5 hours then he gets vocal about it. He still nurses a few times at night as well. He likes to eat (and it shows in his nom nom thighs!)
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We breastfeed on demand and it's about every hour during the day. LO is a snacker and I don't mind.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"