January 2014 Moms
Options

Sleep Issues

Hi, My 19 week old has been for the past few weeks waking up repeatedly within an hour after I put her down.  She used to just go down and wake up in the middle of the night for a feeding.  Anyone have the same problem or know what's going on? 

Re: Sleep Issues

• Options
    My DD does the same thing, but I don't know why.  She wakes up about 35-50 minutes after I lay her down. 
  • Options
    My DD sleeps in a cage

oh wait...DD doesn't stand for Dear Dog over here does it....  
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD sleeps in a cage

oh wait...DD doesn't stand for Dear Dog over here does it....  
    @GoodWitchBadWitch -- It would have been funnier (and better trolling) if you had left out the second part.

::yawn::
  • Options
    There are far too many reasons and far too little information in the OP to give you an answer. What's your sleep routine like? When does it start? BF or FF? Solids or no solids yet? Swaddle? Pacifier? Lovey? Sound machine? Other sleep aids? Temperature of the room and temperature outside? What is the waking like? Screaming or fussing? Awake or woken up but clearly still wanting to sleep? What has her bowel situation been like? Different from normal?

If you can answer at least some of those then that can help us troubleshoot.

• Options
    @allypittsburgh -- just a troll. NBD. :)

• Options
    ccip82ccip82 member
    AGHHHHHHHHHHH

IT MUST BE A WONDER LEAP!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    @allypittsburgh -- just a troll. NBD. :)

Ah, guess we are still interesting enough to keep them coming...
    Sometimes it's easier on boards that are kind of slow, like ours.
  • Options
    Well. Boy am I glad I took the time to ask serious questions to try and help the OP only to have her not bother to come back. Guess you weren't seriously interested in solving your baby's sleep issues.

• Options
    Well. Boy am I glad I took the time to ask serious questions to try and help the OP only to have her not bother to come back. Guess you weren't seriously interested in solving your baby's sleep issues.
    @sugarland726, I will never understand why people ask questions and then don't participate in a discussion. This is a forum, dammit -- not Google or Wikipedia.
  • Options
    I am so reluctant to leave the lovey in the crib but he loves holding onto that thing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

PCOS diagnosed secondary infertility

BFP #1 (letrozole 2.5mg + ovidrel) February 2016, MMC April 2016 @ 7 weeks

BFP #2 (letrozole 5mg + ovidrel) July 2016, Beta #1 359, Beta #2 745, Beta #3 11484

EDD April 9th, 2017

• Options
    @sugarland726‌ - I'll play since I'm having the same issue. Thanks for being willing to help.

My DD is 21 weeks, BF, sound machine, no solids yet, temp of the room is about 70, and she just opens her eyes looking around but has difficulty falling back asleep. She'll fuss after 5 minutes of laying quietly and then scream if I don't respond to the fussing. We still swaddle, but are weaning right now with one arm out and is still in the RNP next to our bed. She has a lovey but doesn't use it in bed. Bowel situation is normal. Bed time routine is this: sound machine on, diaper change, halo sleep sack swaddle, nurse, cuddle for 5 mins, and into the RNP.

I realize I'm probably continuing sleep crutches with the swaddle, RNP, and cuddling, but I'm done with work in 3 weeks for the summer and was hoping to put all my energy into transitions then. But sleep regression hell has been going on since late April. I'm just not sure what to do.

• Options
    Something that has helped us, once we stopped using the swaddle is pushing other sleep aids. Sleep aids are not a problem. There is nothing inherently wrong with needing something to help you sleep. It's only a problem if the sleep aid is you or something that cannot be easily recreated in alternative sleeping situations. A pacifier can easily be brought to daycare, any pack and play, inserted by anyone, etc. So that is not a problem sleep aid. We have started pushing the pacifier more, attached to a lovey (similar to the Wubbanub), and also use the Fisher Price Seahorse. His belly glows and plays gentle music for 5 minutes. More often than not that helps focus DS and he gradually falls back asleep. He's so busy watching the seahorse he isn't worried about being awake and being pissed off by it, he's too busy being lulled to sleep.

I would suggest using the lovey in bed as a comfort aid and to help calm her down when she wakes.  It sounds like your routine overall is not a problem. It's a very nice routine and quite similar to what we do too. What time does she go to bed for the night? How are her naps?

• Options
    Thanks for the insight. I get what you're saying since I need some white noise (fan, sound machine) to help me fall asleep. I will try the lovie if it happens again tonight.

She goes to bed around 7:00 since I have to have her up between 5:30/6:00 to get out the door on time for work. Naps are still on demand, no schedule, and can be anywhere from 30-60 mins average.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Last night was really tough since she's had constant night waking 2-5 times a night since late April. I really felt like I was doing the right things a month or so ago, but I kept asking myself "What am I doing wrong?" last night. DH is supportive and willing to try whatever strategy I feel is best, but he doesn't have any advice to offer, so that can make me question myself even more!

• Options
    Babies are learning and growing and changing so much in their first year. What worked previously often stops working as time goes on. It sounds like she is getting enough cumulative sleep through the 24 hour period. Rereading my first post, I realized I sounded a little pushy on the pacifier. Any sleep aid will do to comfort her, not only a pacifier.

You aren't doing anything wrong. She's just changing up the game a little. I hope she starts sleeping better for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"