January 2014 Moms
Options

Poll: When did pedi say to start solids?

Cara1024Cara1024 member
edited June 2014 in January 2014 Moms
When did your pediatrician say to start offering solids?
         *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Poll: When did pedi say to start solids? 158 votes

4 months
42% 67 votes
5 months
10% 16 votes
6 months
30% 48 votes
7 months or more
0% 1 vote
SS
16% 26 votes

Re: Poll: When did pedi say to start solids?

• Options
    Mine said 4m but this is the same pedi that told me 6m with our first (DD1 is 3yo now). The doctor says their recommendation has changed. They are also recommending starting high allergen foods sooner. Something about countries that introduce earlier have a lower food allergy rate.

DD2 is MSPI as well as intolerant of other things I eat (no dairy, soy, beef, corn, eggs, or nuts). So, I'm holding off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Put ss. At baby girl's 4 mo appt the nurse practitioner said that if we wanted to start at 4 mo we could but that there was no rush and more people tend to wait. She said to use my judgment for when I think she's ready.

our little flower born 01.13.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pedi said between 4-6 months but recommends closer to 6 months when baby shows more interest, especially since I don't want to do oatmeal or rice cereal.
    imageimage

• Options
    SS. She didn't say and I didn't really ask. The packet she gave me said 4-6 months. I decided I wasn't going to ask because it didn't really matter what she said anyway -- I was going to do what I want and what I think is best regardless of her opinion. I know my child better than she does! :)
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    He told us between 4-6 months. He said to do it before 7 months cause they tend to develop food allergies by then?
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ours said 4. She said the cereal was our decision. Logan is doing great with everything we've tried so far. He really enjoys it and looks for a puree now. He tries to feed himself and watches everything we eat so I knew he was ready. He's just over 5 months now.

• Options
    What is SS?
  • Options
    @Joansmith1128 - Special Snowflake. Meaning none of the answers really fit your situation.
  • Options
    I said SS also. Dr. said at 4 month appt. we can start cereal etc. but also said it's our decision. He's healthy and putting on weight just fine and is happy, he then said we could wait till 6 months. I think that's what we plan to do. :).
  • Options
    SS. She didn't say and I didn't really ask. The packet she gave me said 4-6 months. I decided I wasn't going to ask because it didn't really matter what she said anyway -- I was going to do what I want and what I think is best regardless of her opinion. I know my child better than she does! :)
    Pretty much this. We didn't even talk about it at his 4 month appointment.

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    I also said SS. She hasn't brought it up yet, nor did I. I'm too worried about trying to get her reflux/tummy issues fixed to deal with adding in something else. 

• Options
    He said he is okay with four months but Abby should wait. She is gaining well but still very small (she is now 19w and about 12 pounds). Her reflux was getting bad again and he wants to see if the increase of meds helps or if she needs a change of meds. However, he didn't day when we should start and she doesn't have her next appointment until 6 months. So if I start seeing her more interested, I may call earlier. Although I'm mommy and will make decisions, I like having my pedi talking me to me about why to wait and when we start, what to start with and what to avoid rather than randomly googling.

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Our dr said 4-6 months. She said no rush since Adalyn is gaining and doing well. She suggested starting with meats as apparently that's the new guideline. We haven't decided yet what we are starting with but it won't be for at least another month. LO is four months.
  • Options
    She said we should start between 4-6. She have me a ton of info on what and how to feed her and seemed to be kind of pushing/expecting me to start her at 4 mo which is weird because she didn't do that with DS. She did say the AAP doesn't Reccomend starting until 6 so it's fine to wait.
  • Options
    bnikbnik member
    SHe said anytime im ready to start, to go ahead. He is interested in what we are eating, has been holding his head up since month one. We are starting in a few weeks after my parents come to visit. I dont want them thinking its some kind of baby feeding free for all
  • Options
    esd said:
    @tarajeannette‌ - do you mean the "solids before 1 are just for fun?" thought? I first heard it after I had DD almost 6 years ago. So maybe it's old school but I still like it. Breastmilk is completely nutritionally balanced and needs to be the staple in babies diet for the first year of life (same goes for FF babies). I think too many people focus on getting baby on solids and may not realize that pushing too many solids may decrease their babies BM or formula consumption. I have no issue giving solids after 6 months of age. But I always nurse first and make sure baby is getting enough BM. My LOs don't really take in a large amount of solids (2 meals) until closer to 8 months and then more (3 meals) until about 10 months. That's one reason I like BLW. It let's LO control how much they're eating as opposed to spoon feeding when it's more parent led.
    @esd this is exactly how I feel. Brennon is only 4.5 months and I don't plan to start any time soon. And I'm going to breastfeed first before every BLW session for a long time. He is growing so well and is super happy and healthy. Why mess with a good thing??
  • Options
    SS: She didn't bring in up and I didn't ask, because I've already decided I'm waiting until 6 months or later.  (I was kind of afraid she'd tell me to start now and I'd have to either lie or tell her we're disregarding her advice, so glad that didn't happen!)
  • Options
    "Anytime between 4-6 months- when your baby is ready."

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    The pediatric practice we use recommends starting solids at 6 months. The doctor we see says no earlier than 6 months, but is fine with waiting longer if that is what we prefer. Her youngest didn't start solids until he was 10 months old and BF until he was 3 so she's definitely on the "food before 1 is just for fun" train.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"