January 2014 Moms
Options

list of solids to try first?

Did your pedi give you a list of foods to try first when LO starts solids? Care to share it with me?
         *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: list of solids to try first?

• Options
    Nope..I just started with stage 1 foods (most purées are labeled with what stage they are)

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just started with sweet potatoes. We will try all the Gerber first foods to start with.
  • Options
    She just said any stage 1. I make my own food so I had to look up what those were on the Gerber website. So far we've done: sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, bananas, pears and avocados. Avocados were the only thing that didn't agree with him at this point so we're holding off on those.  

• Options
    I'm doing sweet potatoes and avocado first (BLW). Not sure about after that!
  • Options
    My pedi said bananas and avocados. Banana was hard because it was too thin though
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
  • Options
    cja06cja06 member
    I will say that in my experience, we had more luck overall when we started with the green veggies first versus the "sweeter" veggies like sweet potato and carrots with our baby/child being a much more well rounded eater. I think with our first we started with banana and sweet potatoes and then went to other fruits and carrots before peas and green beans. The kid hated anything that wasn't super sweet, and I think that has at least a little to do with us introducing the sweet food first. 

With our second, we started with avocado, then green beans, then transitioned to more of the sweeter veggies. I'm sure part of it was the kid in general, but DS2 has a much wider palate that exists today. DS1 remains our picky eater. We plan on following a similar method for DD. 

• Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    Pedi said green food first, then orange, and fruits last. 
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I will say that in my experience, we had more luck overall when we started with the green veggies first versus the "sweeter" veggies like sweet potato and carrots with our baby/child being a much more well rounded eater. I think with our first we started with banana and sweet potatoes and then went to other fruits and carrots before peas and green beans. The kid hated anything that wasn't super sweet, and I think that has at least a little to do with us introducing the sweet food first. 

With our second, we started with avocado, then green beans, then transitioned to more of the sweeter veggies. I'm sure part of it was the kid in general, but DS2 has a much wider palate that exists today. DS1 remains our picky eater. We plan on following a similar method for DD. 

This is also (anecdotally) a common occurrence in first and second children across the board. I wonder how much of it actually has to be a result of first foods and not other factors.

• Options
    Our pedi said fruits first apples,banana pears, oatmeal then prunes, peaches. I questioned veg's first and he said no. I think I will ask the others in the practice.
  • Options
    My pedi said organic brown rice cereal first. Then "orange" vegetables - sweet potato and carrots. Then fruits - apples, pears, bananas. Its so funny the variation of foods and the order of foods that different pedi's recommend! Kinda like different OB's recommended different things to us during pregnancy. Just goes to show how wide the spectrum really is!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm a SS here, we are gonna start DD off with Poi. It's a Hawaiian staple and doctors recommend it if your baby is having sensitivity to dairy. It's a corm of the taro plant and very easy to digest.
  • Options
    @charmingthemoon thank you :) I'm glad! You might find poi in your local health food store like whole foods or down to earth if you want to try it.
  • Options
    @charmingthemoon‌ same here with DD with her dairy sensitivity so we are being cautious with solids. The great thing about Poi is that its hypoallergenic. Good luck!
  • Options
    bnikbnik member
    i got a list that said "home-prepared spinach,beets, green beans, squash and carrots aren't good choices for early infancy as they contain large amounts of nitrates." We are starting with peas ,avocados, snd sweet potatoes
  • Options
    @Arya808 Fresh poi is sweet, but after each passing day it becomes sour due to the natural fermentation (does no harm to babies) it taste like yogurt so I add sugar to my poi to make it sweeter. At the local health store you might find it in a bag or tub. Just use what you need and thin it out with infant water to a watery consistency for babies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"