Advice on our plan.... VBAC 2 hrs away vs. RCS 1 hr away? — The Bump
VBAC

Advice on our plan.... VBAC 2 hrs away vs. RCS 1 hr away?

My closest hospital is an hour away. As a rule, they don't do VBACs; but one OB suggested (to a friend, not me), just showing up ready to push and refusing the c/s. Not sure I like that as a birthing plan.

Next closest hospital (~2 hours away) does VBACs. Friend just had VBAC there and a good experience, but the weeks prior were really difficult and they basically just camped near the town to be closer for the whole time, making little trips back home for a night here and there. (It will be blazing-hot summer for us, and maybe not as much of an option to camp like that.)

On top of the shenanigans regarding the hospital's proximity, I'm not really sure I am a good candidate for VBAC to begin with (went to 42+ weeks, got induced for 12 hrs, never even got to 0 station or 1 cm), so while I would really like to make a VBAC possible, I don't know about throwing my family into chaos for it.

Thinking about scheduling the RCS for the closer hospital and trying to work out a way to be close to further hospital if I go into labor naturally before that (although not sure if the two practices would mind me bouncing back and forth).

Am I missing anything? Any ideas? Anyone else have a situation like this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice on our plan.... VBAC 2 hrs away vs. RCS 1 hr away?

• My closest hospital is an hour away. As a rule, they don't do VBACs; but one OB suggested (to a friend, not me), just showing up ready to push and refusing the c/s. Not sure I like that as a birthing plan.

Next closest hospital (~2 hours away) does VBACs. Friend just had VBAC there and a good experience, but the weeks prior were really difficult and they basically just camped near the town to be closer for the whole time, making little trips back home for a night here and there. (It will be blazing-hot summer for us, and maybe not as much of an option to camp like that.)

On top of the shenanigans regarding the hospital's proximity, I'm not really sure I am a good candidate for VBAC to begin with (went to 42+ weeks, got induced for 12 hrs, never even got to 0 station or 1 cm), so while I would really like to make a VBAC possible, I don't know about throwing my family into chaos for it.

Thinking about scheduling the RCS for the closer hospital and trying to work out a way to be close to further hospital if I go into labor naturally before that (although not sure if the two practices would mind me bouncing back and forth).

Am I missing anything? Any ideas? Anyone else have a situation like this?

Do you mean for your pre-natal care or just for delivery.  I don't think that would work for prenatal care at all.  However, if you show up at a hospital in labor they have to treat you or transfer you to one that can (not all hospitals have maternity care).  
  • Both pre-natal and delivery, although I wouldn't establish care at the farther hospital until ~34 weeks.

I was told by someone in the closer practice that it wouldn't be cool to 'just show up' to deliver a baby (which is basically what I did at the closer hospital for DS and I did not get treated very well). Also, I'd be showing up to VBAC and based on my friend's experience at the farther hospital, the nurses were all very nervous until the OB showed up and said it was fine.

So,... I'd probably at least establish care at the farther hospital and make the trip for appointments.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd probably at least consult with the other practice and ask for their advice about whether you'd be a good candidate for a VBAC; then, if you think they'd be a good fit for you and you don't mind traveling for routine appointments, I'd go with them (but a big part of that is that I personally was very opposed to to the idea of being essentially forced into a repeat c-section because the doctors refused to even try VBACs).
  • I'd probably at least consult with the other practice and ask for their advice about whether you'd be a good candidate for a VBAC; then, if you think they'd be a good fit for you and you don't mind traveling for routine appointments, I'd go with them (but a big part of that is that I personally was very opposed to to the idea of being essentially forced into a repeat c-section because the doctors refused to even try VBACs).

This. The 'we just don't do VBACs' is sort of a non-starter for me.

I am less worried about routine appointments than actual labor. Since I didn't ever really go into labor last time, I don't know if it would be too far to drive, too uncomfortable.... just no idea how to anticipate that part of the journey and how to plan for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards