January 2014 Moms
Options

UPDATED: Sleep going down the tubes

CopperT0pCopperT0p member
edited June 2014 in January 2014 Moms
More of a vent, but maybe somebody has some advice. 
DS2 has never STTN, which I am fine with, DS1 was the same.  Up until about 1-2 weeks ago DS2 would usually fall asleep around 8pm downstairs in the swing, then when I went to bed around 11pm I would nurse him and put him in the crib. Then he would wake up at 3am to nurse, and again at 6:30am, then up for the day around 8am.  Not ideal but I was fine with it. 
Well, that has gone now. In the last week or two he has started having his first wake up after 11pm at 12:30/1am, then he is up every 1-1.5 hours after that and then starting at 5:30am he will be awake but moaning and grunting around (I bring him into our bed). I eventually get up with him around 7am.  
His naps suck too, he's down to 2-3, 30 minute naps. It doesn't change if I put him to bed earlier like 6:30-7pm, the night waking is all the same after 11pm.  
We just started him back up on his reflux meds (Prevacid) in the last week, so I thought maybe his sleep would be getting better. Nope. The only other thing I can think of is that I haven't been as diligent eating dairy free like I was before. His pediatrician thought he should be fine. I'm going to start back dairy free to see if that helps.  
He is scratching the heck out of one ear, so maybe it is teething pains too? Or I guess the dairy could be causing ear itching too.. Ugh. I feel bad for him not getting the sleep he needs. 
/End Ramble
image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: UPDATED: Sleep going down the tubes

• Options
    I am going to get him an appointment to check out his ears. The pedi office is on vacation until Thursday so we will likely have to suffer through. He isn't acting in pain and has no fever so I hope it isn't one. DS1 had to have tubes put in because of them so that is in the back of my mind that it could be a mild infection, he just isn't acting like my other son did with his.
    image image

• Options
    He is 4.5 months.
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is doing the same thing. 2 to 3 naps that are twenty minutes and waking at least twice to eat. This is what my pediatrician said. As soon as he looks sleepy put him in the crib don't let him sleep anywhere else. Instead of giving him the bottle or breast during his night wake ups give Pedialyte. She said it seems like our DS is waking just to be soothed from his bottle. If the pedialyte doesn't work give him formula in a sippy cupbecause its not as soothing as his bottle. I'm also supposed to give him pedialyte during the day since he wants a bottle every 1 and a half to 2 hours.

I would talk to your ped first, but this is what ours suggested. We are going to start tomorrow.
  • Options
    CopperT0p said:
    I am going to get him an appointment to check out his ears. The pedi office is on vacation until Thursday so we will likely have to suffer through. He isn't acting in pain and has no fever so I hope it isn't one. DS1 had to have tubes put in because of them so that is in the back of my mind that it could be a mild infection, he just isn't acting like my other son did with his.
    Just out of curiosity -- why would you wait until Thursday if you think he could potentially have an ear infection? There HAS to be an alternative if your entire pedi office is out. I simply can't believe that they would leave all of their child patients with no options if they became sick, just so that they could all be on vacation.
  • Options
    Can you go to an urgent care? Call ahead and see if they do infants. They can diagnose and ear infection instead of waiting until Thursday. I did this for DD when we were out of town and it looked like she had pink eye. 
  • Options
    Sounds like 4 month sleep regression to me. I'd get him checked out, but he hasn't had an ear infection for 2+ weeks.

It damn near broke me, but it does (eventually) end. For J took 4-5 weeks.

My cat can read EKGs, can your human do that?
    ♥BFP#1 12-23-12, M/C 12-31-12 at 5w4d♥
    ♥BFP#2 05-09-13, EDD 01-15-14. C/S 12-23-13 at 36w5d for complete previa. Healthy baby boy♥

• Options
    Sounds like 4 month sleep regression to me. I'd get him checked out, but he hasn't had an ear infection for 2+ weeks. It damn near broke me, but it does (eventually) end. For J took 4-5 weeks.
    For some reason, I got the impression that the ear scratching was a new thing, but upon further reading it's not really clear one way or the other.

• Options
    Teething?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    @SandFHasse‌ did your pedi elaborate any more on the pedialyte? Just curious bc I haven't heard of that before.

• Options
    You ladies are right, I probably shouldn't wait. I hate to always jump to the doctor, but maybe it is something. I'm going to see if I can get him into the pedi office that we saw once for a tongue tie.  
    It is weird, because usually when my pedi isn't in the office for an extended period they have an alternate doctor they reference on their voicemail that you can try but they don't this time.  

image image

• Options
    CopperT0p said:
    You ladies are right, I probably shouldn't wait. I hate to always jump to the doctor, but maybe it is something. I'm going to see if I can get him into the pedi office that we saw once for a tongue tie.  
    It is weird, because usually when my pedi isn't in the office for an extended period they have an alternate doctor they reference on their voicemail that you can try but they don't this time.  

Boo. That's really crappy and irresponsible, IMO. :(
  • Options
    @peanutmuse - it is strange because they are usually all over this.  I wonder if their back ups backed out on them? Walk ins suck around here so I hope I can get him into this alternate pedi.
    image image

• Options
    DS is doing the same thing. 2 to 3 naps that are twenty minutes and waking at least twice to eat. This is what my pediatrician said. As soon as he looks sleepy put him in the crib don't let him sleep anywhere else. Instead of giving him the bottle or breast during his night wake ups give Pedialyte. She said it seems like our DS is waking just to be soothed from his bottle. If the pedialyte doesn't work give him formula in a sippy cupbecause its not as soothing as his bottle. I'm also supposed to give him pedialyte during the day since he wants a bottle every 1 and a half to 2 hours. I would talk to your ped first, but this is what ours suggested. We are going to start tomorrow.
    @sandFHasse can you elaborate?  This just seems really weird to me.  Why would your pedi want him to have pedialyte instead of BM or formula?  Some kids just want to eat more often and to be honest - two wakeups during the night does not seem that excessive for a 4-5 month old. 

• Options
    @worleygirl‌ @bensmommy518‌ Pedialyte between feedings is because he has been constipated. At night though when he wakes up I'll make a 4 oz bottle pop it in his mouth, he drinks maybe half an ounce and he's back to sleep. She thinks he just wants to suck on it to be soothed since he doesn't eat it. I don't care that he wakes up at night, but she thinks he should be sleeping since he doesn't during the day.
  • Options
    My DS2 is definitely eating at these feedings. He will nurse for 10 minutes, which is as long as most daytime feedings.  He's a big boy too, according to my digital scale he's about 18lb now, and he's about 28" long.  
    image image

• Options
    He won't take a pacifier. I have tried several shapes and brands. I didn't get a call back from the pedi I tried today. I am going to try just going in there tomorrow.
    image image

• Options
    DD wakes up now around midnight to 1am after SSTN (8:30p-6:30a). Then again around 5-5:30am. She refuses to take her nuk. I want H to go in and wrap her back up bc she sees me as the milk maid. She just wants to eat and after getting 6 hours of sleep in 3 days, I'm wiped and frustrated this is happening. I give her some Tylenol bc of teething, but she wants to be fed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    @MiaMyPuggle, I hear you!  Especially with the older kids that need time and attention too, it can be hard.  I'm just lucky DS1 is a great sleeper.  
    I managed to get DS2 into my back up Pediatrician this afternoon.  I'm hoping he can give me some advice. 
    image image

• Options
    UPDATE: Pediatrician says there is nothing wrong with him, so it's likely just teething pains waking him up, or maybe the silent reflux.  Nothing I can do but ride it out. 
    I had him have a look at DS1 since he has developed some patches of petechiae on his back in the last two days that are worrying me, so he had me take him in for bloodwork and a urinalysis.  I hope it's nothing, Dr Google is scaring me. 
    image image

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    Well I'm glad that there is nothing wrong! It does stink to not have an answer you can work with though. Hopefully he  is better soon and I hope the BW comes back okay for your DS1 as well. Keep us posted!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"