1st Trimester

What to say if people ask you if you are prego

And you don't want them to know yet....
I am a teacher and 8 weeks prego. This is my husband and I's first child. I am really trying to keep the pregnancy a secret though until we are further along. I had to tell my Principal early though bc I was getting sick and had to leave my classroom to go to the bathroom during state testing exams. A week later I keep getting random teachers coming up to me and saying "Congratulations!" in front of others I definitely don't want to know!!! When they see my face go from surprise to horror/shock they exclaim. "You are pregnant right?" I haven't exactly been handling it well bc it's none of their business to be asking me and I was not expecting anyone to find out. So what should I say if any more nosey people come up and ask?
(I have no clue where the rumors started)

Re: What to say if people ask you if you are prego

• Meery82Meery82 member
    Say no.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Give them a flat and emotionless thanks and change the subject..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would tell them you are uncomfortable talking about it at this point.  They could benefit from a lesson in tact and boundaries. 
  • Read247Read247 member
    Neither confirm or deny. Say: "that's rude. Are you saying I look fat?" If they press the issue say: "if I had any news to share I would announce it when I'm ready, but thanks for asking."
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • I'd say that I'm not pregnant. Imagine how they will feel when they find out that you actually are and you weren't comfortable sharing. I think that's a lesson needed to be learned. At our workplace, they did HR training on this topic, no one is allowed to ask anyone if they're pregnant or speculate at work. People still speculate, but there hadn't been any face to face confrontations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. I really like " if I had any news to share, I would announce when I am ready." That will get them to think. It just amazes me how rude people can be. I am clearly not even showing yet. The nerve!
  • I had a similar problem but the rumor mill really started when I missed an entire week of school because I was in the hospital with morning sickness. Women just know and when you teach in an elementary school the majority of your coworkers are female.
  • "No, I'm not a jar of spaghetti sauce."

You beat me to it. -_-

It's a BOY

• Tell them the word they are looking for is "pregnant."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had a similar problem at work. I had to tell my supervisor right away (at 5 weeks) because my job involves moving heavy pallets off of trucks, carrying furniture, etc. I didn't mind telling her, since I needed to stop doing the heavy lifting. I asked her to NOT tell two specific co-workers. She hasn't told one, but did tell the other, and she has told just about everyone else-- without telling me who she's told. So every week or so, I find out about a different supervisor or employee who knows I'm pregnant, and it leaves me wondering who else she's told behind my back. I don't mind these people knowing, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable that she's the one doing the telling, without my permission and without a warning that XYZ might suddenly start asking about my symptoms. 

Sorry, that was long. All that to say, when these coworkers ask, I've just been 'fessing up. They're all going to find out eventually, and if someone like my supervisor or your principal told them, it's obviously fact and not just rumor. They definitely shouldn't be asking or congratulating you before you've gone public, but I would feel silly giving them a definite no and then changing my tune a few weeks later. 

• "No, I'm not a jar of spaghetti sauce."

"I'M RAGU GOD DAMN IT!"

I'm going to use this line.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"