October 2014 Moms
Options

Good news....Bad news....

Hi folks, Sorry to go MIA for a week, but my DH and I did get to go on our vacation and we decided to truly unplug for a week. It was great. We really needed the time together and the time off and had a wonderful relaxing week and a fantastic anniversary celebration. We are connecting better right now than we have in a few months and we just have to figure out as we get back in the day to day, how to keep that connection going. Anyways, I'm back and hoping today to find some time to finally personalize my avatar and other stuff. In the meantime will slowly start catching up. I have a busy weekend and next week is going to be a monster at work, but I'll get back into the swing of stuff slowly but surely. So that all is the good news. The bad news is that when we got back I had a call from the doctor and a closer look was taken of my 20 week a/s and they said the kidneys are measuring slightly large. (slightly being just over 4 mm, with 4 mm or under being normal). They're not super concerned and told me I shouldn't be, as given that they are only slightly larger they're pretty sure its something that will correct itself, but want me to come back in for a scan at 24 weeks. Needless to say I'm going to be a wreck until then. I did some reading and it can be nothing or it can be something serious depending on if they stay enlarged. We aren't finding out the sex and as it turns out the ultra sound person couldn't even see the sex on our 20 week scan, as the nurse asked me if I knew the sex, because it wasn't listed. She told me that slightly enlarged kidneys is more common with boys, and often goes to normal as the woman gets further along....so its possible we're having a boy - I didn't even want to know that much, but I think she was trying to reassure me. My reading showed it can happen a lot with girls too, though.....so really means nothing. Anyways, was disappointing to come back from such a nice vacation to news that the scan wasn't perfect, but hoping really it is nothing. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend. I'm getting bigger and starting to look pregnant, but still not feeling kicks. The midwife said I should start feeling baby by 22 weeks - today is week 22 start, so we shall see. I won't get nervous unless I get to 24 weeks and still nothing....

Lilypie - (urRB)

Re: Good news....Bad news....

• Options
    I had prominent renal pelvises bilaterally at my a/s too. Its actually one of the most common findings at an a/s and 96% of cases resolve themselves in utero. Some babies are born with it and it can be resolved within the first year. Sometimes needing a procedure and sometimes just antibiotics. We are getting another scan in a few weeks to see if the kidneys are correcting themselves. I know its hard, but if your OB isn't concerned, try not to be. Oh, and I'm having a girl. :) FX for good news at your next scan.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    ANGnJONANGnJON member
    Welcome back! So glad to hear that you & your DH had a chance to reconnect & enjoy some much needed time together! Like you said, I'm sure the enlarged kidney is nothing to worry about, although that is easier said then done. On a positive note look at your follow up scan as a chance to check in & see your LO again! ;) I hope your upcoming week at work isn't too crazy for you! Have a great weekend!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had prominent renal pelvises bilaterally at my a/s too. Its actually one of the most common findings at an a/s and 96% of cases resolve themselves in utero. Some babies are born with it and it can be resolved within the first year. Sometimes needing a procedure and sometimes just antibiotics. We are getting another scan in a few weeks to see if the kidneys are correcting themselves. I know its hard, but if your OB isn't concerned, try not to be. Oh, and I'm having a girl. :) FX for good news at your next scan.

@MrsSinner402‌ - Thanks for this - reassuring to know one is not alone - and the percentage of correction in utero. Will see what the next scan tells us. And FX for good news at your next scan as well.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Options
    FamousEa said:
    Glad you got a chance to reconnect with your DH, as for the kidney issue just breathe and relax. If the doctors tell you not to worry don't worry! I know it's easier said than done but chances are it will correct and then you won't have to worry!

@ANGnJON - Thanks for the welcome back and good thoughts - and you make a good point about looking at the scan as a way to see my Lo again- I will try to concentrate on that. :)

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Options
    Whooops- problem with iPad sometimes - meant to quote @ANGnJON‌ on that post :). But nonetheless thanks to @FamousEA for the good wishes as well :)

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed a break with your DH. I have no advice or experience, but FX the kidney issue resolves itself.
  • Options
    Glad you had a nice vacation! Hopefully everything is okay with LO. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    Glad you had a great vacation and time to reconnect with you DH. I'm sorry that you came home to worrisome news, but try not to focus on any negative what ifs (I know easier said than done). Like PP said, try to look forward to the opportunity to see your LO again in a few weeks :) 

Keep us updated when you have your next scan!
  • Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    So happy you got to unplug and get away. It sounded like you really needed a break! Fx that the kidneys are just fine at the next scan.
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    It's too bad you got unsettling news after your great vacation. I hope everything looks good at the 24 week scan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Glad you got away for a bit, try not to worry too much about the kidneys though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    WSS. We had this with my first.  He just got cleared in March for his two year check-up.  It's mostly a bunch of extra u/s to keep an eye on it.  T&P!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sending good vibes that the issue resolves itself!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We also are going back to re-check the kidneys in a few weeks. Neither the tech nor ob were concerned and both said most of the time the issue corrects itself before birth. I'm not worried about it. Oh, and FWIW, we're having a girl. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards