January 2014 Moms
Options

SAHMs and housework

Q 1: How much do you get done a day? I just walked downstairs to get ice water and was disgusted by my living room. My kitchen was ok, not the best but not embarrassing.

Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends?

Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? I

Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be?

Re: SAHMs and housework

• Options
    ArrgcrArrgcr member
    I make sure my children are fed, clean, clothed, and happy, I do a load of dishes in the dishwasher, a load of laundry (though it usually doesn't all get put away), and the mess I make in the kitchen from cooking three meals a day. I try to pick up the living room once a day, but my four year old seems to demolish it. Also, it's crowded with the kick and play mat, bouncer, swing, and chair with toy attachments.

2. I need to vacuum and steam clean soooo bad. I usually do that on the weekend, along with the bed and bath.

3. I can barely get him to take out the trash... There are three bags in the kitchen floor that have been waiting on him to be taken out.

4. I would get the central heat switched from propane to electric.
  • Options
    Q 1: How much do you get done a day? It depends on the day, but I try to run the dishwasher at least once and do two loads of laundry. Yesterday, I did the dishes, laundry, empty all the trash cans, picked up all the toys and whatever else was in the living room.

Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends? I try to vacuum, wash all counter tops and table tops, organize the playroom and dust.

Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? When he has a day off he usuly picks up dog poo and does a deep clean of the kitchen.

Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be? I would own it so I could fix the multiple problems. First problem would be to rip up all the flooring and put new stuff in. Whoever did the tile in this house did a shitty job. The grout in the tile is cracked and the tile isn't straight. Ants come out of the middle of the floor from the cracks. Yuck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    I'm not a SAHM but I'm still on mat leave.

1) It varies from day to day. I usually do some dishes, put out any recycling we have and tidy up. I'm also trying to get some organizing and spring cleaning done. When DD naps I will clean a room or two.

2) I get more done on the weekends. Water is cheaper so that's usually when I do laundry. DH and DD have their snuggle time on Sundays so I usually do housework while they play.

3) MIL doesn't clean so DH has no clue how to do stuff. As long as I tell him what I need done he will help. He puts out all of the garbage every week and then whatever else I need help with.

4) We have been renovating since we moved in but we are planning on buying a new house in the next couple of years so Id like to update the kitchen and finish the basement before we do it. I don't want to spend a lot here since this is just our starter home and we never planned on stating here for a long time.

• Options
    Q 1: How much do you get done a day? I get like 3 things done a week. That's usually dishes, laundry, and sweeping my hair up in the bathroom. But, I live in a studio apartment sooo if I set aside 2 hours and work I can get most of the chores done in one shot.

Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends? Things like scrubbing the shower and toilet, vacuuming the carpets (but that hasn't happened in like a month), laundry, organizing paper stuff (receipts, bills, etc.)

Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? That's a negative--that lazy man. :-w

Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be? Well, our house is currently being remodeled completely ( which is the reason we're living in a teensy apartment), so it would be nice if that could just be over with and I could have more than 300 square feet of living space. 
    imageimageimage
    Tino--Already 4 months old!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    KEfam5KEfam5 member
    Arrgcr said:
    Q 1: How much do you get done a day? I just walked downstairs to get ice water and was disgusted by my living room. My kitchen was ok, not the best but not embarrassing. Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends? Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? I Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be?
    I wash the dishes every day and do general picking up. I make sure the kids are fed and clean. I vacuum, clean the bathroom, and do laundry once a week (not usually on the same day)
    We don't really have "weekends" per se here. DH works shift work so his days off are all over the place. But on his days off, nothing gets done. We just spend a lot of family time together. Then when he goes back to work I have a big cleaning day.
    DH doesn't help with housework often at all. I wish he did but it is like pulling teeth to get him to do anything which I am pretty much okay with usually as long as he picks up after himself and doesn't deliberately leaves messes lying around.
    As far as improvements, we are getting new windows next month which I am so excited for. Next on my list would be a fence around our yard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Q 1: How much do you get done a day? Not a whole lot.  Keep the kids happy and try clean up after myself. I try keep the kitchen tidy.  The kids play in the living room, so that's usually got some toys laying around, the jumperoo and the swing. 

Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends? Clean bathrooms, mop the floor. That way if it doesn't happen on Saturday I attack it with a vengeance on Monday.

Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? He tries to help after supper with the dishes, and might vacuum the floor for me.

Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be? We have a pretty new house - only 3 years old - so there's not much for improvement at this point.  I'd like to have a sandbox put in the backyard and a play area with a slide/swing.  We'll see tho. The park is only 2 blocks away and it's nice to get out of the house with the girls and go play there. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image  image

• Options
    umma4babesumma4babes member
    edited May 2014
    I work part time (3x a week), so I guess I'm a part time SAHM :)

Q 1: How much do you get done a day? I pick up and clean as I go, and I almost always take the trash out as soon as it's full so that's almost everyday (we have a very small trash can in the kitchen). I have a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner so I pick it up and vacuum when I see crumbs etc. i love Dyson! I used to have to bust out my Oreck to actually vacuum up everything (Black and Decker cordless vac just couldn't suck up everything). Dyson cordless is powerful enough for deep vacuuming but so compact and lightweight that it's not a drag to vacuum everyday. I don't do any deep cleaning though.

Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends? Any major organizing if needed, but I mostly just try to relax. DH does yard work on weekends.

Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? He tries, but honestly it's more helpful if he just gets out of the way with the kids. He'll take the kids out so I can finish up housework.

Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be? Oh dear, we just moved to a new house that needs a major updating. We did rip out the floors and put in new hardwood and carpet because it was gross. I would like to rip out the kitchen and redo that as well.
  • Options
    amt0312amt0312 member
    Q 1: How much do you get done a day? Usually the dishes and kitchen cleanup and a couple loads of laundry, and picking up to maintain order. 

Q 2: what things do you try to get done on the weekends? The same as above, and maybe add in vacuuming, dusting, and bathrooms. 

Q 3: if SO is around, does he help with anything? He definitely helps with a ton. He does the dishes a lot, will usually always vacuum the upstairs (I typically do the downstairs), litter boxes, trash and all the yard work. He's incredibly helpful. He also does some cooking, most of the grocery shopping. 

Q 4: if you could have one improvement on the house done, regardless of price, what would it be? An addition- we are about to outgrow this house with a new LO on the way. But I reaaaaaaally love this house, so it sucks to know that we won't be able to stay here. 
    Also,  I want a deck or a patio. Currently we have nothing and it blows. 
  • Options
    ArrgcrArrgcr member
    @Arya808‌ I worked two jobs with my first, DH worked, and DS was in daycare and my mom helped out watching him while I went to college. With this one, I SAH. DH has never helped out in either situation and I find both are/were different in their own way. Neither is easier than the other, just different. I will never be one to bash either way because I have lived both. My situation at this time is SAH so I was reaching out to others to see what is going on with them. Im not working at this point so me checking in with them view wouldn't necessarily make sense. Before that's twisted, I just think that they both can't necessarily fall in the same category on all things, again, because I have BTDT. I new when I asked these questions to dg in with down thing would probably e said by someone. As someone who has been on Jan14 for almost a year now, I see nothing wrong in me asking questions specifically in the SAH category. You will find no debates or shaming from me when it's comes to working vs SAH.
  • Options
    ArrgcrArrgcr member
    @Arya808‌ I wasn't taking it as a big deal. I was just being nosy about other SAHMs. I could have just asked it on the SAHM board... But then I wouldn't exactly have the data I was going for: other SAHM with a baby around the same age.

I will carry on. Dammit. There was a song that reminded me of your 'carry on' and I've had a brain fart and can't remember what comes next after ' I will carry on'. Now you can't picture me serenading you like a crazy lady. :-??
  • Options
    peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited June 2014
    RE: why this wasn't directed at working moms, I actually have some thoughts. I think that having people home all day -- rather than offsite at work and/or daycare or having someone at your house as a nanny or babysitter -- does create different types of messes in the house.  So it kind of does make a difference. This comes from a lot of experience, haha. My husband and I have gone through all aspects of this. I have worked at home while he goes out to work. He has worked from home while I go out to work. And we've both worked from home at the same time. The house is always the messiest when we are both home.

ETA: If your nanny/babysitter doesn't do things like wash their dishes, pick up toys, etc., then it would be more similar. But if your nanny/babysitter doesn't do those things, that's also kind of weird. ;)
  • Options
    ArrgcrArrgcr member
    @peanutmuse‌ exactly. It's all day mess compared to mess of just when everyone is home. 3 meals plus snacks a day is different than just dinner. Well, when I worked I ate meals at work, DH would run to sonic, and DS ate at the daycare. Except for dinner. So all these dishes that add up now compared to just the one meal we would have results in a messier kitchen by the end of the day. DH now works to where he comes home for lunch and has time in the morning to microwave something. Soooo many dishes.
  • Options
    Arrgcr said:
    @peanutmuse‌ exactly. It's all day mess compared to mess of just when everyone is home. 3 meals plus snacks a day is different than just dinner. Well, when I worked I ate meals at work, DH would run to sonic, and DS ate at the daycare. Except for dinner. So all these dishes that add up now compared to just the one meal we would have results in a messier kitchen by the end of the day. DH now works to where he comes home for lunch and has time in the morning to microwave something. Soooo many dishes.
    @arrgcr -- and other things besides dishes too. Little things, like if Brennon pukes all over me, I have to take time to clean us both up. That's stuff that the daycare or babysitter would do if I didn't SAH, but it eats into my day, lol. :)
  • Options
    Q 1: I'm a nut when it comes to organization, so I'm always picking things up. I tackle cleaning one thing a day...laundry is done pretty much every other day. 

Q 2: yard work is a weekend project, plus laundry, of course. I always save the damn bathroom for the weekends so H can watch the kids as well. 

Q 3: H doesn't really help me clean inside. He does most of the outside work. But, to get away and be alone, I'll do yard work and take a few things off of his list. 

Q 4: I'd do a complete overhaul of our back yard. I hate pavers bc of moss growth and dirtiness. I'd want a nice, very large trex deck, no trees, an in ground pool, and a basketball court. Oh yea, an enclosed gazebo. Perfect. I'd be out there 95% of my day. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"