June 2013 Moms
Options

Ferber method, does it work?

3am here and another night of LO wakinh up crying and not bc she's hungry. I go in and try to soothe her but when I think she's calm and back asleep and walk out, it starts again. We go through this every night! And I try to wait a few minutes before going back in but she just cried for 15 min and showed no signs of stopping. I put her in our bed now and she's fast asleep.

We do a bedtime routine of bottle, book and then when she dozes off I put her in her crib. I've tried putting her down sooner but then she wakes up, starts smiling and wants to play.

Does the ferber method really work and for those of you who tried it, how long did it take? I know its going to be hard in the beginning but I'm so over her waking up every night with the same crap. We both need sleep!!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ferber method, does it work?

• Options
    Thanks ladies for the input. Going to get the book and learn more so we can try it. Just hope to not give up. Waiting 15 min today was hard enough let alone having to do it longer. And of course she wakes up looking like the happiest baby in the world bc she won and slept in our bed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MaelaraMaelara member
    Don't give up! It will literally get worse before it gets better, it's called extinction. I really don't think you need a book, this web page https://www.troublesometots.com/ is amazing! Read all the sections first as there is info you will need (like timing for going in) in odd places. We did CIO after trying all the other methods first. This was the only one that worked. I won't lie though, I cried, a lot.
  • Options
    @NurseMommy13‌ and @WorkinIt‌ , what's your bedtime routine? I usually do massage, pj, bottle while reading book and then bed.

@Maelara‌, thanks for the link! I spent some time reading it this afternoon. Very helpful. Tonight I tried bottle, bath, pjs, book and put her down awake. She cried of course but so far I only had to go in once so far. I'm sure part of it is she's pooped from being in pool earlier but we'll see how night goes. Am definitely going to try this new method over the next week and see how it goes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    TheTamedShrewTheTamedShrew member
    edited June 2014
    I second the troublesome tots site. I also personally think full extinction is quicker, more effective, and results in less crying than the Ferber method, but that's just from my experience. Even now she always gets super wound up if I go in and check on her without picking her up. I don't know what it would be like at this age since we did CIO at 7 months, but for us it worked miracles in just two nights. I would highly recommend putting one of your shirts in the crib that you have been wearing all day. It really helped my LO with self soothing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• Options
    Thank you ladies for your advice and yes thattroublesome tot site I great! We've made it two nights so far with no wakeup!!!! I can't remember the last time I got a full night sleep. First night I chalked it up to her being tired from pool but yesterday was average day. Fingers crossed it continues. And she'sonly crying for 5 minutes after I put her down awake which is great.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"