2nd Trimester

creative gender reveals?

gmj0101gmj0101 member
edited May 2014 in 2nd Trimester
Just wondering if anyone has done any fun gender reveals for friends/family? I bake for my coworkers a lot and was thinking of baking a cake pink or blue on the inside for a reveal. Has anyone else done something or thinking of doing something creative?

Re: creative gender reveals?

• Loading the player...
  • For my son we posted on Facebook that it was a boy. All my family lives in another state so it was the easiest/fastest way of telling everyone at once. Next time around we are not finding out the sex so no reveal for us until he/she is born. Even if we were finding out the sex gender/sex reveals are NMS. I wouldn't make a huge thing out of it.
  • We found out with our Harmony test results at 12 weeks that we were having a girl.  We took a photo with our dogs that said, "We're getting a sister" and we sent that in a text message to our parents and siblings who were all waiting to find out.  Other than that, I just made a custom photo of my husband and I announcing we were expecting and the dog's photo to post Facebook as our big announcement. So everyone else found out we were expecting and having a girl all at once.  
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• I should mention my coworkers are all girls and very anxious to find out! So I wanted to do something fun for them :) I like the "we're getting a sister" idea with the pups. I have a cat and may have to use that to announce over email/Facebook to my out of town family and friends!
  • We didn't do a reveal party for our families or friends, instead had photos made for ourselves because we considered it kindof personal. We had a family friend take the pics of us as we found out. Round one we did the balloons/box thing. Round two was confetti cannons. Looking back, both were very special moments and I have photos to commemorate it. Afterwards, we just called the important people who we wanted to tell, then posted the pics to FB to tell everybody else.

• I posted a picture of me and my hubby holding the ultrasound printouts with the title "meet lacy:)"
  • We're having a bbq and doing the thing where you open a box of balloons. After that we're planning on letting people make onesies (probably tie-died with boy or girl colors). My BBQ host knows the sex and is setting up the balloon box. We're snapping a photo to post on FB for those that werent there as well. Nothing too big, but fun and a reason to get together at a park and BBQ/celebrate baby! It's kind of our baby shower/celebration and reveal all rolled into one. A co-ed, kid friendly thing at a park :) Best of luck to you!
  • Invite your coworkers to whatever family reveal you have. Seems a bit much to do it for your coworkers, but then again I don't know your lyfe.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• We didn't go out of our way to do one last time but because I live far from my family they threw me an early baby shower over Christmas when I was visiting. It happened to be the week after the anatomy scan so the colors for the party were brown/blue/pink and my sister dyed the cake blue to announce it to everyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha I'm a college student working at a bar and grill, all female waitresses whom are very excited to find out the gender! They've grown to be my closest friends so I wanted to do something fun for them :)

Invite your coworkers to whatever family reveal you have. Seems a bit much to do it for your coworkers, but then again I don't know your lyfe.

• I'm planning to bake cupcakes with a colored surprise inside. But then again, my co-workers asked me when I'm going to do my "reveal", so that definitely influenced my decision. I say that if you know that your colleagues will enjoy it (or expect it) than go for it - why not?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • gmj0101 said:
    Haha I'm a college student working at a bar and grill, all female waitresses whom are very excited to find out the gender! They've grown to be my closest friends so I wanted to do something fun for them :)
    Invite your coworkers to whatever family reveal you have. Seems a bit much to do it for your coworkers, but then again I don't know your lyfe.
    Here's your problem. It's not about them. It's your child, not theirs. If you want to do something fun for yourself that's cool. Other people don't need something fun. 
  • gmj0101 said:

The attention whoring will never end. A reveal for your co-workers? Completely over the top and ridiculous. "We're having a ______" should suffice. I guarantee your co-workers don't care that much about the sex of your baby.

If you read some of my other comments these coworkers are some of my best friends. We've worked together at a small town bar and grill throughout our college careers, so I guarantee they do care ;) I guess I should have just left out it is for my coworkers specifically because that's definitely been stirring everyone up! I'm very excited about this baby, and my friends and family are too. I'm sorry to disgruntle some of you! I'm not asking whether or not I should do a reveal, I'm looking for ideas from other mothers to be who are thinking of doing
    something too :) just for fun and smiles
    There is an enormous difference between doing something for yourself and doing something for everyone else. It's is YOUR kid. They may be excited, but not that darn excited. Either find out with them or just flat out tell them after you find out at the ultrasound.
  • If you don't like the idea of doing gender reveals you don't need to respond to the thread, wasn't asking for advice on whether or not I should do one, just wanted to know other MTB's ideas!
  • rmbrjry said:

I'm planning to bake cupcakes with a colored surprise inside. But then again, my co-workers asked me when I'm going to do my "reveal", so that definitely influenced my decision. I say that if you know that your colleagues will enjoy it (or expect it) than go for it - why not?

Exactly! I wouldn't do something special for people who didn't care. I have some girls asking me to make shirts, some saying to bring cupcakes, even a piñata request lol so I know they will enjoy finding out the surprise as much as I enjoy telling them.

• drpaynedrpayne member
    edited June 2014
    Not everything surrounding your pregnancy needs a big to do.
    This.  I also think the problem with reveals is that way too many people are doing them for them to be original anymore. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd do something food-related, cake or whatever. Even if people aren't super into gender reveals, most people like free snacks brought into work! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• For our parents we are taking them out to dinner and I'm gonna have two white gift bags for our moms to open that will have a outfit or something that would say whether it is a boy or a girl. I also bought these books Darth Vader and Son and Vader's Princess (we are total nerds) and I'll take a picture of the one that applies to our baby Then for our siblings I would just group text them "Baby Lamb is............." then send it and wait to see what they say then send a picture of book cover.  For facebook we were gonna take picture of us reading the book that applies to our baby and of course my DH wants to pose like Darth Vader LOL I think it's different and fun

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I baked cupcakes for work with both pregnancies.  The people I work with enjoy cupcakes.  If I thought they were dieting and didn't want cupcakes in their lives, I wouldn't bring in cupcakes.  I don't see it as a big deal -- if you want to bake something, do it. If you don't want to, don't.
    Did they know you were doing a reveal?  Not even gonna lie.  I probably would have eaten the cupcake and not even paid attention to the pink or blue inside.  I think reveals can be cute when the parents to be are finding out the sex too with their families and friends.  If they already know, I don't see the point.  
  • For our parents we are taking them out to dinner and I'm gonna have two white gift bags for our moms to open that will have a outfit or something that would say whether it is a boy or a girl. I also bought these books Darth Vader and Son and Vader's Princess (we are total nerds) and I'll take a picture of the one that applies to our baby Then for our siblings I would just group text them "Baby Lamb is............." then send it and wait to see what they say then send a picture of book cover.  For facebook we were gonna take picture of us reading the book that applies to our baby and of course my DH wants to pose like Darth Vader LOL I think it's different and fun

Too cute! Very creative, your family will love it.

• I think baked goods are a great idea. My coworkers and I are like a second family. We work under very intense, life threatening situations on a daily basis. Those types of situations tend to bring folks close together. They are excited for my family and I as they have supported me emotionally in TTC for overt two years. I'm definitely brining a little something in to reveal to them because I know it will be received in love and excitement. Not everything has to be a big deal, but there is nothing wrong with including people in your celebration- especially since OP seems to be very close to her coworkers. OP, I say go with the cupcakes and document the excitement in your baby book.
  • gmj0101 said:
    If you don't like the idea of doing gender reveals you don't need to respond to the thread, wasn't asking for advice on whether or not I should do one, just wanted to know other MTB's ideas!
    <br/ But plenty of other MTBs (and even more of the general population, I'd wager) think a sex reveal is AWish and worthy of eyerolls. So you're welcome for our opinions too.
    Anniversary 
  • I said "it's a boy" and everyone smiled or said congratulations. Some even did both. It was amazing and special. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• So many rude comments! As far as coworkers, I will probably end up jus doing some cupcakes. Just to be fun and give everyone some snacks. If they're your good friends and you feel like doing something, go for it! I'm not close with mine, so something simple will do. It's the family party I'm excited about! My mom is going to the ultrasound and we're going to let her find out and plan the party. We're gonna find out when we pop a big balloon and blue or pink confetti falls all over us! Good luck with your reveal and ignore all the haters ;)
  • Good luck with your reveal and ignore all the haters ;)

My advice is to ignore all the idiots.
  • Nicb13 said:

So many rude comments! As far as coworkers, I will probably end up jus doing some cupcakes. Just to be fun and give everyone some snacks. If they're your good friends and you feel like doing something, go for it! I'm not close with mine, so something simple will do. It's the family party I'm excited about! My mom is going to the ultrasound and we're going to let her find out and plan the party. We're gonna find out when we pop a big balloon and blue or pink confetti falls all over us! Good luck with your reveal and ignore all the haters ;)

Are you going to LET her pay for it all too?! You are SOOOO generous :)

Or maybe grandmother is honored and excited to plan and host? Just a thought.

• I didn't do a sex reveal party for my first. My DH and I found out at the a/s and then took my parents out for lunch and told them. My BFF and her husband did a sex reveal party and I thought it was kinda lame. For, when my DH and I get pregnant again I think I will do a private sex reveal with me and DH and take a few pics. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are buying silly string and having our older two kids spray their grandparents with the silly string. I am a teacher so we are out for summer break. No big reveal for my coworkers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"