November 2013 Moms

Fevers suck!!! Tips?

justMaikejustMaike member
edited May 2014 in November 2013 Moms
Poor baby has had a fever (first ever) since this morning, combined with diarrhea, a heat rash and total exhaustion.. Around 8pm it peaked, 102.4, and scared the living crap out of me!! Called the doc immediately and was basically just told to watch him, give ibuprofen/Motrin and so on. Should it get worse ER.

To everyone that has had a feverish baby, what did you do or any tips you care about sharing. Right now I'm just watching him..don't know if I can sleep tonight..

Re: Fevers suck!!! Tips?

• He kept falling asleep on the boob so I mixed water with puréed bananas/apple and gave it in a sippy cup, which kept him entertained enough to at least drink 2oz.
    He's sleeping next to me in bed right now. Thank you guys and @mskatiep‌ don't be sorry I'm glad you did write all the info down!

• Loading the player...
  • cagoldicagoldi member
    Sorry he's not feeling well. Hope his fever breaks and he gets good rest tonight.
  • So sweet. I'm glad he is starting to feel better!

• Don't overdress or under-dress. Just make sure he's comfortable and sadly, wait it out. We gave tylenol every 4 hours. I've heard it mentioned alternating tylenol and motrin, but I don't know the time table for that. Other than that just hugs and cuddles.

Hope your LO's fever breaks soon!

You can gve Tylenol every 4 hours and Motrin ever 6-8. At my work we Recommend switching back and forth every 3 hours to keep it at least kinda
    simple.

Example-
    Tylenol @ 3&9
    Motrin @ 6&12

Don't wrap your babe up in his favorite blankets, you're just keeping him insulated.

Also, Your pediatrician will recommend a medication does, and I'm 99.9% sure it's an underdose. Tylenol/Motrin should be dosed based on weight in KG (not LBS) with pediatric patients.

15mg/kg Tylenol
    10mg/kg Motrin
  • We've only had one bad fever, but to make him more comfortable, I gave him a cool water bath (like, slightly cooler than normal bath temp) and let him play for an extended amount of time, kept a cool rag to dab his forehead and neck with, and gave him frozen breastmilk cubes or frozen banana chunks to munch on in a mesh teether.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"