March 2014 Moms
Options

Pumping at work & nursing at night...

DRFleenerDRFleener member
edited May 2014 in March 2014 Moms
I need some advice even if it's just chillllllll....
I started back this week at half days, next week FT. I plan to pump four times during the day, nurse at night, she is still eating around 90 minutes to every two hours during the day, with an odd three hour nap.

So my first pump at 9:00 am was 3 ounces in each side. Second pump was at 11:00, then it dropped to one and two ounces each side. Then when I got home, it was like I had no milk...I couldn't hand express anything and she was doing the hunger cry. Is this just an adjustment time? Out of fear I think it was too much pumping but I feel like everything I read says the more you pump/nurse the more you produce.

I am eating oatmeal, taking the more milk plus and drinking a Guinness each night.

Has anyone experienced this, is this fleeting or a sign of me not producing enough? During leave I nursed on demand, with no problem. Little one is 9 weeks.

TIA!!
image         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Pumping at work & nursing at night...

• Options
    I only pump twice a day at work and then after I put LO down for the night, I usually pump then before I go to bed. I do not get the same amount every time. I usually get more in the morning session and less in the afternoon. even with drinking mothers milk tea and fenugreek.

• Options
    How many bottles do you leave for when you are gone? I am assuming 4 - 3 oz bottles for the 8 hours?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hdhtk4Hdhtk4 member
    Did you ever pump at home before returning to work? Just wondering how much you pumped then. I did this to a degree when I first started back to work. My first day back I pumped my normal amount the first pump but the second pump I only got maybe two ounces. It did this for two days before it evened out and I got 6-7 ounces total at each pump. I always had milk when I got home at night though. I would guess your body will adjust in a couple of days.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Hdhtk4‌ yes, but only once in the morning, but usually everyday...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice since I don't got back for another week, but I wanted to say I hope it all evens out and is fine. I'm worried about my supply once I go back to work too. And I also thought the more you pump/nurse the more your body makes. But I think it takes a day or two to catch up to the demand so hopefully that's all that's going on here.
  • Options
    mrsdahammmrsdahamm member
    edited June 2014
    Do you feed from one or both sides when LO nurses? I only feed one side, but pump both at work. I get 7-8oz total my first pump then only 4 maybe 5 my second and third pump (if I get a third one in). I try not to pump the last time any closer than 90 minutes to when I'll be home. If it's closer than that when I can fit in a session, I only pump one side. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water (I'm guilty of not always doing this an my supply suffers), and try to relax as much as possible. Bring pictures and/or videos of LO.

Edit- hit post too soon
  • Options
    Was it the same everyday? I see my milk fluctuate from day to day. Also as another pp said, I only pump twice a day, maybe 3 times if I get home and she has just eaten. If you aren't making enough to compensate for what she drank during the day you could try pumping after your morning feed and before you go to bed. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and eating well. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts... Yes, I have a stash and I drink the hell out of water..130ounces...hopefully by the end of this week my supply will meet my demand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"