October 2014 Moms

Brazilian wax?

Anybody ever have one done while pregnant? Was it SO much worse? With swimsuit season approaching, I don't see how I can wait much longer, but I've heard bad things about doing it during pregnancy. Any thoughts? (Also, on maintenance - what do you do when you can't see it anymore?!) Thanks!!!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Brazilian wax?

• It's sort of like when you are on your period. It is just more sensitive due to swelling. If you've had one before I'm sure you can handle it. I dont know if I would recommend it to a first timer.

image         image

• SusieBWSusieBW member
    It's sort of like when you are on your period. It is just more sensitive due to swelling. If you've had one before I'm sure you can handle it. I dont know if I would recommend it to a first timer.
    This exactly.  I used to go all the time, and went once when I was pregnant with DD and decided I wasn't going to go while pregnant anymore after that.  It was worse, for sure, but not completely awful.  But ITA that if you've never been before, I wouldn't recommend starting now.

I use electric trimmers now instead.  When I can't see past my belly anymore, I'll just try my best to do it blindly.  I'm not that concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's totally fine I asked my waxed lady. But as pp said if your a first timer maybe hold off till after baby , your skin is rather more sensitive but as far as it bein safe and ok yes !
  • I agree with PPs.  I went when I was pregnant with DD and it did hurt more, but was bearable. That said, I've decided to go with the trimmer this time around. 

• Even not pregnant a full on Brazilian scares me.  I go with a French bikini (basically as close to a Brazilian as you can get without touching the labia or my butt) and it hurts like a mo-fo through about 3 strips then I'm ok.  My chick said pregnant women are fine for either but not if it is the first time!  Because you would NEVER go back!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• I've had it done, just not while pregnant. Thanks for the input!
  • I used to regularly get Brazilians. Just like PP said, it's SO much more sensitive down there during pregnancy. I've gone once while pregnant and won't do that again. 
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Never had a brazilian or been waxed, I use a little trimmer and then for maintenance after I couldn't see past my belly, I just bought Nair that was for the bikini area. No visuals needed. I still have it and will probably use it again this time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ANGnJONANGnJON member
    I too have been comptenplating getting it done! I've done it quite a few times prepregnancy & had no discomfort at all! So much better than the nasty razor burn & ingrown hairs I get when shaving! Leg waxing is a whole other story I WILL NEVER do it again, that shit hurt!!!
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • Glas43Glas43 member
    This post made me giggle cuz just the other day i told DH he may have to help me with follow up to be sure i dont miss a large patch! He was cool with it.
  • edited May 2014
    You'd be surprised how well electric trimmers work.

But I like the French bikini also. But I'd get the extended version.

ETA that I've gotten one unknowingly about to start my cycle. Not that bad.
  • Yeah, I use an electric trimmer…until summer. I dunno, waxing is just usually better for summer. But now I'm really reconsidering. :)
  • MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I used to have fairly good bikini waxing experiences (although they were still plenty painful), but then I started getting ingrown hairs from waxing in addition to getting them from shaving. I tried ILP and then laser hair removal, and while the laser was more effective than ILP, I still have more hair than I'd like. So I bought a swim skirt for this summer.
  • I've been pretty sucessful thus far with just shaving. Being a plus size girl pre pregnancy, you get very good grooming the V without being able to see it very well. I just purchased a trimmer though, because the balancing act in the shower is becoming quite cumbersome!
  • I had a bikini wax yesterday and it was just fine. Don't know about the full brazilian though...
  • I've gotten a Brazilian a handful of times pre-pregnancy, and I always think they hurt like a bitch, especially if it's been awhile. I got a regular bikini when I was about fourteen weeks, and it definitely hurt worse than previous waxes. Just my two cents. Go somewhere great where they do it in small strips with good wax, at least!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have never had a downstairs wax. It seems awkward but this is coming from someone who's about to give half a dozen doctors/nurses a show. So the awkward thing will probably go out the door in several months! I have some thick ass glasses and I'm "legally blind" without them. Everything is blurry. So not seeing and shaving is a regular occurrence for me! 
  • I've also been dabating on this and I think I'm going to break down and do it. I'm just tired of shaving all the time. I miss the low maintenance of just getting a wax.

Married: 7/9/11

TTC Since: 10/13

EDD: 10/29/14

• I just got it done yesterday. It was more painful but wasn't unbearable. She said ingrown hairs are more likely to happen during pregnancy after a wax, so I just need to do a good job of exfoliating.
  • I've wanted to try a full Brazilian for a long time but just can't get the courage to let someone get that close to my lady business. How awkward is it? I can just imagine sitting there, completely exposed, trying to avoid eye contact, etc. I mean, what do you talk about? They must see so much v that they have to compare....what if mine is freaky?? Lol. I'm more afraid of the exposure to a stranger than the pain.
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"