September 2014 Moms

Formal Maternity Gowns

Sorry if others have asked this, but does anyone know of stores where I could find a formal maternity gown? I'm going to a graduation ceremony in Vegas next month (which, for some reason, is black tie) and Google isn't particularly helpful. Planning on trying David's Bridal, but their selection seems very limited. I've found a few websites, but they're either REALLY expensive (like Seraphine) or will take too long to have made. I'd ask on the DC area board but it's so slow over there and I don't really know anyone on that board, so national chains or even local (to you) chains with online ordering options would be awesome. My last resort option is a website called Mine for Nine where you can either rent or buy dresses, but like most people I'd rather be able to try it on before spending the money. The last thing I want to do is look like an idiot in some dress that looks horrible on me in front of all of DH's colleagues and proteges. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Re: Formal Maternity Gowns

• I have had friends in this spot and they've all rented. I believe some of the dresses you can rent a few to have a choice and send back the ones you don't want right away to not be charged?

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I was looking into this for a formal event, but the event turned out to only be semi formal so I didn't have to find one in the end. I looked at all kinds of sites and I found one by Seraphine through destination maternity/A Pea in the Pod that I liked. Other than that I was looking into renting as well. I found a few renting sites and one site allowed you to rent two sizes of the same dress for no extra cost so that you had the right right. There was another site where you could rent it for a try on beforehand then return it and rent it when you needed it. One of sites I found was https://www.rentmaternitywear.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1
    Good Luck!
  • A friend of mine got her maternity bridesmaids dress at Target. This one looks like it could be black tie appropriate:

IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The pic of me at Prom from a few weeks back is a renttherunway.com dress, I just looked for a dress with a lot of stretch and got a size up. Fit like a glove.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There's one really pretty one shoulder blue one on ASOS
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• rlyttlerlyttle member
    Have you tried to go to a department store (Macy's, Normstroms, ect) and look for an empire waist dress that will work? When I was 7 months pregnant with DS I bought a dress at Macy's that is black and super cute!! It wasn't maternity, but everyone said I looked great. 
  • rlyttle said:

Have you tried to go to a department store (Macy's, Normstroms, ect) and look for an empire waist dress that will work? When I was 7 months pregnant with DS I bought a dress at Macy's that is black and super cute!! It wasn't maternity, but everyone said I looked great. 

I would also suggest this but then again its after prom season, since school is out or almost for some. They may not have a big selection. But what they do have is on discount.
  • nyg2042nyg2042 member
    I agree with checking out asos.  They have free shipping both ways.

BFP #1 : 3/20/13 | EDD: 12/1/13 | MC: 4/15/13 

BFP #2: 1/9/14 | EDD: 9/21/14  

Welcomed our rainbow bear on 8/31/14

My Chart | All are Welcome

• JD83JD83 member
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!! There's not much on my side of the river, so in order to go shopping I have to drive into Virginia (which is a total cluster-f*ck on the Beltway) so if I have to leave the base, I like to get a very detailed plan together before I ever leave the house. This will definitely point me in the right direction. Thanks again!!
  • Linz-ELinz-E member
    I got one for my husbands Marine Ball at Davids.  Im pretty sure they have a maternity appropriate section thats not necessarily maternity but flattering like empire dresses. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • JustCricketJustCricket member
    edited May 2014
    JD83 said:
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!! There's not much on my side of the river, so in order to go shopping I have to drive into Virginia (which is a total cluster-f*ck on the Beltway) so if I have to leave the base, I like to get a very detailed plan together before I ever leave the house. This will definitely point me in the right direction. Thanks again!!
    hahah especially on a Friday with summer traffic... God speed on your voyage out into that mess. I too suggest renting something like the pp's have. Hard to do online, but honestly in store selection sucks for maternity or clothes that fit a pg woman. I hate it.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"