October 2013 Moms

TV

Does your LO like watching TV? What are their favs right now? Christian LOVES it. Like if it was up to him I could just leave him in front of it all day erryday. I definitely don't. My baby can't have a rotten brain. His favorites are Sponge Bob, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and the first 23 minutes of Frozen. He is obsessed with Frozen. He thinks Ana and Elsa are his BFFs.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TV

• Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (specifically the hot dog dance), Sheriff Callie, Doc McStuffins

She loves the singing/music in between like the Dalmatians singing wipe, wipe, wipe your paws.

I'm pretty sure she's going to live music. She whips her head toward the music if she's just playing in the floor and it comes on.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours are drawn to the tv like moths to a flame. We typically have sitcoms on in the evening so they watch The Middle and Modern Family. 

Although on Saturday mornings I put on Boomarang so they can watch some classics. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I usually have Pandora playing on a children's mix (thanks to the bumpie who recommended children's indie!).  HOWEVER, his absolute favorite video is on YouTube and it is Baby Vu Vu.  Oh my gosh, instant glee from him.  I'm trying to record his reaction to it but haven't gotten a good video yet.

• Mine just likes playing with the remote and changing things.  Although Road trip was on the other day and he watched some
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • DS most of the time could care less about the tv. However he will occassionally watch the news, sports, or Law and Order SVU. He will look at the tv if he hears music but then looks away when it stops. He will look at cartoons for maybe a min and decides he doesn't want to watch it and goes back to playing.
  • She loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, also specifically the opening song and hot dog dance.

She also likes sports, specifically basketball and football.

We have the tv on a lot, mostly for background noise, but we play with toys, read books, etc instead of sitting down and watching it.
  • DanceMDanceM member
    Super Why and Dinosaur Train are favorite in our house.
  • I put the t.v. on Disney Jr. at times during the day.  He doesn't pay much attention to it, but as soon as a song comes on, he stops everything, watches, and giggles.  When it is over, he could care less about the t.v. again.

• DH put on some old Super Mario Brothers show last night and she was captivated. We don't really watch anything regularly with her yet, sometimes she pays attention to whatever we have on, other times DH will pick a cartoon on netflix for her. She also loves to watch DH play video games.

We've never sat her in front of the TV though. She only watches it with us.
  • Sports center with daddy and any sport.
  • I usually keep the tv off when she's awake but once and a while if she's having a rough dAy I turn on Sesame Street so I can eat or switch laundry.

There are some Eric carle stories on netflix too that I let her watch. We have those books that we look at too.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SHAWNACPA said:
    My SIL is a communication major and says that watching TV under 2 is really bad for brain development. She says that babies will watch intently because they can't look away... It basically hypnotizes them. Buuuuttttt, my sister watches DD during the day and DD loves to watch food network and bridezillas with her :).
    I totally try to limit tv too but it is def hard for us because it was/is normally on.  Made more of a habit to out it on the radio stations for music as background noise.  I know that there has been research on fast paced shows like Spongebob that also have been connected with ADHD for younger children (Spongebob age recommendation is 6) so I think when Avery starts watching tv regularly I will def try PBS channeling for slower paced, educational programs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • SHAWNACPA said:
    My SIL is a communication major and says that watching TV under 2 is really bad for brain development. She says that babies will watch intently because they can't look away... It basically hypnotizes them. Buuuuttttt, my sister watches DD during the day and DD loves to watch food network and bridezillas with her :).
    I totally try to limit tv too but it is def hard for us because it was/is normally on.  Made more of a habit to out it on the radio stations for music as background noise.  I know that there has been research on fast paced shows like Spongebob that also have been connected with ADHD for younger children (Spongebob age recommendation is 6) so I think when Avery starts watching tv regularly I will def try PBS channeling for slower paced, educational programs.
    After she was born, we said we were going to enforce a no TV around the baby rule, but we found that it was unrealistic at other peoples house, etc.
  • edaireedaire member
    I limit it as well. He doesn't just sit down in front of the tv all day. I make it a point to turn it off and we read books, play with toys, swing outside, etc. Just curious if other babies are as fascinated as he is :)
  • ksimo6ksimo6 member
    We have it on as background but she does not really watch it. She likes the remotes a lot! We don't put on cartoons for her though...
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• vargasgurlvargasgurl member
    edited May 2014
    She is drawn to the TV but I distract her from watching. I really don't like her watching , but when I am at my moms she watches Spanish TV novelas ! I can't control the TV situation there .
    < image
  • Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Bubble Guppies....LOVES guppies. I really try to limit it too, but it's ridiculously hard when we have my BF's twins who are 2 in June. My BF's mom also watches LO during the day and she has up to 6 of his cousins at the same time, all of which are under the age of 4...so no TV is unrealistic there. Hate that he is watching it, but we make it a point to do other activities away from the TV as much as possible. 
    Lilypie - (z9ZY)

• if it is on she is somewhat interested (if the older ones are watching a movie) she likes veggies tales. She actually laughs and I have noticed she always seems interested in Daniel Tigers Neighborhood.
    ilpzGb9YMK6JFtCM1BtfCpGczM5WOmU6_lg.jpgimage
  • Baby Einstein is her favorite. We also love the Baby first channel. But I save tv time for either when I am running on the treadmill or when I need to get something done around the house. 

We do have a morning routine of VH1 music videos in the morning and then the buzz. But she is usually to busy fast crawling around the house, in the kitchen having breakfast etc to really care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• It's on a lot but she really isn't interested. Her brother at this age was much more interested.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • norbert5norbert5 member
    edited May 2014
    I think our tv is hung too high to get her attention. But my big girls love peg+cat and so do I. We also have been watching the sesame street classics and word girl on Netflix.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • she watches little Einstein or Mickey Mouse just for a half hour in the am. We have it on for background noise but she isn't too interested in it. And fuck spongebob. I hate that stupid sponge. So.annoying.
  • He loves the first 30 mins of Frozen. He watches it with his mouth wide open. He also likes watching Elmo and Mickey Mouse You Tube music videos. He loves music

• hlb622hlb622 member
    PBS. He loves Curious George. Fortunately, at least for now, he isn't interested in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Spongebob. So fucking annoying.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mickey mouse clubhouse and this Harry the bunny show (the bunny is annoying lol but she loves him)
  • Lee81 said:

Jalee85 said:

No way am I gonna turn on kid programming just yet...lol Trying to keep the TV for adults as long as possible!

I know, right! I'm trying to cram as many adult shows as I can while she's still too young to understand the content.
    Along the same lines I play Disney Pandora for him and actually enjoy it because I know all the songs and love them, turned on the Toddler channel one day and way like nopeeeeeee...not doing this yet...I'm sure there will be a time when I hear Wheels on the Bus on repeat all day long...it's not that time yet, for now we dance to Hakuna Matata!

And to answer the original question, he's really not interested in the TV at all and I try to face him away from it when we have our shows on, he likes music though
  • Jalee85Jalee85 member
    catycate said:

Even if it's for background noise, your kids are watching more than you think.

Actually, I got a pretty good handle on what she watches. Especially when she is facing her back to the TV. I feel like as long as she is not zoned in. It will not cause any harm. I grew up watching educational programming like discovery channel. I feel that type of programming isn't harmful. Nor do I believe TV causes ADD/HD, but that's my "hill to die on".
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• I don't put the TV on specifically for DS. The most he sees is a couple minutes if I'm changing his diaper while DD is watching a show.
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Jalee85 said:
    Even if it's for background noise, your kids are watching more than you think.
    Actually, I got a pretty good handle on what she watches. Especially when she is facing her back to the TV. I feel like as long as she is not zoned in. It will not cause any harm. I grew up watching educational programming like discovery channel. I feel that type of programming isn't harmful. Nor do I believe TV causes ADD/HD, but that's my "hill to die on".

It's not the zoned out part I think about, it's all those moments in between- the few seconds when she gets bored with one toy, the minute or two it takes to get a glass of water. It's like their brains don't even get a chance to be unstimulated if there is always a screen to look at. And a bit of unstimulated time is good, in my opinion.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Amjoy25 said:

What?! My TV is ALWAYS on, and I've seen her look at the TV for maybe 3 minutes and then is bored of whatever is on. How are your babies watching for 30 minutes?

#amIdoingitwrongorareyou?

She doesn't watch for the whole show.. Maybe 5 mins then goes back to playing. I usually only put it on if she's fussy while I need 5-10 mins to do something
  • edaireedaire member
    @PharmDMom‌ that definitely was my
    Question. Just curious to see if other babies liked it as much as DS. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"