Trying to Get Pregnant

Awful PMS, AF is here and I dont know what to take

Hello ladies, has anyone has had this problem? I get really bad cramps when I start my period, and before TTC I used to take tons of painkillers (ketorolac) but now, since we started I read that ketorolac can affect my fertility, and I am not sure what to take, plus im in a LOT of pain. Last month wasnt that bad and I did not take any painkillers but now it really is plus I am at work :( dont know if I should try ibuprofen or paracetamol, how do you manage that without taking a chance on your fertility? Thanks!!

Re: Awful PMS, AF is here and I dont know what to take

• ncgysara said:

Hello ladies, has anyone has had this problem? I get really bad cramps when I start my period, and before TTC I used to take tons of painkillers (ketorolac) but now, since we started I read that ketorolac can affect my fertility, and I am not sure what to take, plus im in a LOT of pain. Last month wasnt that bad and I did not take any painkillers but now it really is plus I am at work :( dont know if I should try ibuprofen or paracetamol, how do you manage that without taking a chance on your fertility? Thanks!!

Just call me the QFP Queen.

Married 9-1-12 (On Depo until 4-12)        Me- 33, DH- 36
    NTNP starting 9-12, Actively TTC since 9-13
    My DX- Hypothyroidism.  Prescribed Synthroid
    DH's DX- Severe MFI- first SA results: 1.3 mill (1.2 mill motile), 21.6% motility, 2% morphology
    Blood test revealed low testosterone so DH was prescribed Clomid.  Repeat blood test and SA in November.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks @jefa621 for me the problem is basically the first 2-3 days after I got my period, horrible cramps, double dose means like 2 pills? also I read somewhere that ibuprofen is bad when TTC, but never seem to find a reliable source, is it safe?
  • Thank you all!! will definetly buy a heating pad, I am thinking to try and ease the pain naturally
  • ncgysara said:
    Thanks @jefa621 for me the problem is basically the first 2-3 days after I got my period, horrible cramps, double dose means like 2 pills? also I read somewhere that ibuprofen is bad when TTC, but never seem to find a reliable source, is it safe?
    Tylenol is OTC drug of choice for pain relief during pregnancy. Ibuprofen may cause miscarriage if a large amount is ingested early on. Obviously there's no cold hard evidence to support this though because no one's going to gather a bunch of pregnant women and test drugs on them to see what happens. If you're in doubt, contact your doctor. 
    Married 8/14/09
    TTC #1 since 5/2014
    BFP #1 11/14/14 - CP @ 5w2d
    image  image  image
  • KatzKissKatzKiss member
    edited May 2014
    I take two tylenol and two ibuprofen.
    ETA: I very always had desk jobs and used a heating pad. But I can understand if you feel strange about that. I always worked with a bunch of women so no one cared.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• Tylenol does jack diddly for my cramps. A dose of Advil as often as allowed on the bottle to stay ahead of the pain. Once it gets into its stride, it's hard to make it go away, so I take the drugs at the first sign.
    Diagnosed with multiple infertility factors July 2011
    Surprise BFP while saving for IVF September 2011
    Our miracle baby girl born May 4, 2012

• I keep reading online that ibuprofen can stop/prevent ovulation and affect implantation, still not able to find an official source, do any of you girls know it that is true? AndI am not sure about the timing, but I really would not like to mess up my ovulation, I see it as a trade off between a few days of discomfort vs the posibility to become a mother, so for me it is not like making myself a martyr but making sure I am doing all from my side to get pregnant.  
  • thanks @oursecretelopement I actually bought some of those at walgreens and Im starting to feeling better.

• Eh, I have a lot of fertility issues, but ovulation isn't one of them. And I've taken ibuprofen every cycle I've had for the past 21 years.

/anecdote
    Diagnosed with multiple infertility factors July 2011
    Surprise BFP while saving for IVF September 2011
    Our miracle baby girl born May 4, 2012

• I would just take what you normally take to relieve the pain.  Suffering would not be fun!  I'm not changing anything until I actually see a + on a stick.  

Hope you feel better...
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• beepitybeepity member

The best information I could find is this clinical trial (link below), this was a very small study though. Ibuprofen was taken during the follicular phase, three times a day until ovulation. (Much longer than the 2-3 days you would take it for cramps.) There was a slight delay in ovulation in a small group of subjects but it appeared to only be by 2 days. Which is a normal range, your ovulation day can move by several days from cycle to cycle with or without Ibuprofen. It did not inhibit ovulation.

Conclusions:
    "If ibuprofen inhibits follicular collapse, this effect is seen in a small group of study subjects, and this information should be clinically reassuring to patients who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Serum midluteal P levels were unaffected by administration of ibuprofen."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11704117

I did find some older clinical studies in mice, that showed a delay in ovulation with high doses of NSAIDs, taken over several months. Even with the high doses in those studies, ovulation was not inhibited. The delay in ovulation was still only by 2-7 days from what I could tell, and in a small group of subjects. Which falls into a normal time frame for most women. 

I would not be concerned in taking Ibuprofen for your period cramps. You would only avoid it if you are pregnant. 

Personally, I use a heating pad and alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen for bad cramps.

-----------
    This.

I love google and Wikipedia but if you want real scientific (ie proven) info then go to a legitimate primary source.
    Married 2006
    Surprise BFP Feb 2008 MC at 6w2d

TTC since May 2014       
    BFP! 10/28/14       EDD 7/5/15

BabyFetus Ticker http://ugc.theknot.com/3452225-original.gif

• myatalamyatala member
    I stick with Tylenol (acetaminophen, a.k.a. paracetamol) because I can't take NSAIDs with my psych meds. If you can take NSAIDs, ibuprofen or naproxen can help with cramps. You can alternate ibuprofen and Tylenol for bad pain.
  • Ibuprofen. It's an anti-inflammatory and stops (or slows down) your body from making prostaglandins, which is what causes you to have period cramps (and period poops). Here's a link that explains exactly how prostaglandins work and affect your body:

I get really bad cramps too and found that if I start taking ibuprofen a couple of days before my period starts, my cramps almost disappear. As long as you're not taking it every single day, I wouldn't worry about it affecting ovulation. Good luck and hope you feel better!
    TTC #1 since 8/2013
    DX: Unexplained infertility 11/2014
    Hysteroscopy, D&C 11/17/14
  • lilsneezy said:
    Ibuprofen. It's an anti-inflammatory and stops (or slows down) your body from making prostaglandins, which is what causes you to have period cramps (and period poops). Here's a link that explains exactly how prostaglandins work and affect your body:

I get really bad cramps too and found that if I start taking ibuprofen a couple of days before my period starts, my cramps almost disappear. As long as you're not taking it every single day, I wouldn't worry about it affecting ovulation. Good luck and hope you feel better!
    I had no idea about the period poops, definitely trying this from now on! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"