January 2014 Moms
Options

So disappointed.

I'm so upset right now, I pumped before I went to bed last night and forgot to put the BM in the refrigerator. I seriously had tears in my eyes. My supply is already in the shitter and then to throw away liquid gold this morning. Blahhhhhh!! So it stayed out from 930pm-530am which is 8 hours. I read BM can stay out for 4-8 hours. But I don't think I want to risk it, oh man. I don't know it's so hard to throw it away, any thoughts?
Any of u failed lately that u felt terrible about??

Re: So disappointed.

• Options
    Lena122Lena122 member
    Eh, I'd smell it and still use it if it smelled okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    I'm sorry :( it is so sad when you work so hard to get that milk and somethig happens to it. ((Hugs))

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    8 hours is fine! My son is on continuous feeds overnight through his gtube and the NICU said it's fine to put 8 hours of milk in the bag. He's been fine so I think you'd be okay. When we were actually in the NICU, it couldn't be out for more than a few hours or they'd toss it though.
  • Options

Oh no!! So sorry! Haven't done that, but anytime I have to toss leftover milk I want to cry!!!!!

I would smell and see if it smells ok and try giving it your LO.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Options
    I agree with pp's...the milk should be fine. I'd smell it first but I bet it's ok. I've accidentally left out milk before (freshly pumped) and it's still been good to use.

• Options
    I wouldn't toss it. I've done the same and it was fine.

• Options
    Ditto everyone else, I would smell it and as long as it smelled ok still use it. You will definitely know what bad breastmilk smells like! I recently forgot about a bottle of pumped milk in my diaper bag for like, a month.  Whoa baby, I won't forget that smell!
                        Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

• Options
    blue_elleblue_elle member
    edited May 2014
    I can sympathize. I asked DH to pull my work milk out of my bag and into the fridge and he missed a bottle. I found it late last night and sadly it smelled just enough that I wouldn't try to use it. It was one of the big bottles too! :((
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel better, ha ha!! DH actually put it in the frig. And said smell it when u get home, ha ha!! I never even thought of that and thanks pp's for advice. I guess we will see when I get home. But yeah it sucks big time when u have to dump or spill your BM. It feels like it's the end of the world. :((
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    I agree with PP. I hope its still good to use. :)
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ya I've definitely spilled freshly pumped milk. It's ok to cry over spilled milk if you just spent an hour pumping it!
  • Options

I would taste it before dumping. I fell asleep during pumping, woke up startled and spilled all the milk twice before. It happens!

I was about to do that last night!! First I was leaning back and "resting my eyes" and milk leaked out of the comes a little. Then I poured the milk into one bottle and was holding it (uncapped) and started to nod off again. I would've been so mad at myself!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"