Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Prenatal vitamins

What are the pros and cons of prenatal vitamins when ttc

Re: Prenatal vitamins

• Options
    Mei&MeiMei&Mei member
    Yes, folic acid. If you have a pretty balanced diet, the rest of the stuff is debatable. If you don't want to take prenatals, find a folic acid supplement. 
    Oscar Leopold 4/2009
    transluscence
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    myatalamyatala member
    Are there any considerable cons to PNVs? If you want a vegan PNV, they're out there. If you want a low-cost PNV pretty much every big store has a generic or house brand. If you have difficulty swallowing large pills, there are brands with smaller pills and also gummy vitamins.

Like PPs said, at least take folic acid. My OB recommended a specific dose to me; you should be able to ask your doc what they advise for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP. The cons of PNV can be mitigated by switching to another vitamin. For instance, I was taking one with iron and my poop got, er, gross. So I switched to a different vitamin. Folic acid is really important to take, though, even before conception.

What would you say, ladies, at least 400mcg a day before conceiving?
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    I think the recs are 400mcg for all women of child bearing age, up to a max of 1mg (says Mayo Clinic). The two PNV brands I've taken both had 800mcg. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    only con I know of as op mentioned, you can become constipated... drink lots of water and eat a diet high in fiber problem solved...
  • Options
    The prenatals my dr. prescibed me were fairly expensive, so I decided to take ones the pharmacist recommended until I actually got a positive pregnancy test, to which i will switch to the better ones. The ones I am on now do not have much folic acid in it. Do you think its ok to do this until I get a pos. test?
  • Options
    Mei&MeiMei&Mei member
    @Briannasteve‌, the folic acid is THE most important part, especially before conception. The cost is irrelevant.
    Oscar Leopold 4/2009
    transluscence
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks, I will pick those up today. Although Im really thinking this was a successful try this month so I wish I was taking the right stuff the past 10 days or so. Im now pretty pissed the pharmacist told me I could use these until I got a positive test. I should have just called my Dr.
  • Options

Thanks, I will pick those up today. Although Im really thinking this was a successful try this month so I wish I was taking the right stuff the past 10 days or so. Im now pretty pissed the pharmacist told me I could use these until I got a positive test. I should have just called my Dr.

Do they make prenatal vitamins with less than 400mcg folic acid? If you're pregnant your baby will be fine, just start taking prenatals.

And also...for my curious mind...why might I ask do you think this was a successful month?
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ducktale said:
    Do they make prenatal vitamins with less than 400mcg folic acid? If you're pregnant your baby will be fine, just start taking prenatals. And also...for my curious mind...why might I ask do you think this was a successful month?

I dont know. Im 9dpo and Ive been feeling sick, Ive been having weird cramping, normally too early for my AF, my nipples have been pretty sore, and yesterday my gums were bleeding when I was brushing my teeth. I mean, they could be unrelated. I will wait and try a test tomorrow or Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"