October 2014 Moms

Full crib or Mini

Has anyone used a mini convertible crib? I like the convertible idea but don't really have space for a full size, I prefer the twin that you can do with the mini. Thoughts?

Re: Full crib or Mini

• We love our mini crib! It's a Da Vinci. It has a good weight limit, you can lower it like a full-sized crib as baby grows, and it's compact, of course. So cute. We didn't use it as a toddler bed, So I can't speak to how well it converts, but as a crib it was great.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Hmm.. if you want one because of space, I say go for it. But DS is almost 2 1/2 and he's still in his full size crib. It's a convertible and will be a toddler bed as soon as he shows interest in climbing out. The convertible aspect is so nice, and I feel like I'm really getting our money's worth out of the purchase.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • There are two sides to the mini crib. We have one and we JUST stopped using it last month. We transitioned DD to a queen bed because she was just getting too big for it. Our issue is that her room has a queen (guest bed) and no room for a regular size crib, so this was our only option.

Now, our mini crib only went up to age 2 years. If you think you will be transitioning to a different bed by then or soon after, then I think the mini crib will work fine. A LOT of moms transition to a toddler bed between 18mos and 2 years. If you think that you will need the crib longer, then I suggest finding a way to make a regular crib work. I wish we had a regular crib for Nat just because as she got older, she was starting to get more and more cramped (couldn't stretch her legs all the way). Now she is much happier in the queen and can sleep star-shaped if she wants ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I don't think my kids would have fit in a mini crib past a year old.
  • MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I'm considering a mini crib for space reasons, too, and it does kind of seem like a gamble. I've read of kids staying in them confortably up to two years and also of them outgrowing them by one. Hopefully my child won't get super tall too soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MneraniMnerani member
    My son is HUGE (over 100% on height and weight) and still sleeps in a PNP most nights. I think mini cribs are bigger than PNPs, but I haven't checked. So I really don't see the issue with outgrowing the space.

We don't do it to same room, rather because he sleeps so much better in a soft-sided bed that he can smoosh his face against (weird kid). I plan to keep him in a PNP until I transition him to a toddler bed sometime after his second birthday. 
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the feedback! My baby'ss dad is tall and my other son was tall for his age, so I think I should go with the regular size to be safe. If we don't have space in his room when he's older fire the full size bed, we'll just sell it or put it in the guest room.
  • We plan on a mini convertible crib as well. We don'tt have the space for a full size, and I personally don't feel a child should have a bed bigger than a twin until they're buying their own bed.
    IAmPregnant Ticker imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • starybstaryb member
    Definitely getting the mini crib. We plan on keeping the crib in our bedroom for the first 6 months or so because the heat regulation in our apartment sucks and it's the only room that stays warm at night. No way we could fit a full size. Also, a twin will be better for space later on, I'd rather leave more floor room to play on than take up too much space with a full size bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"