March 2014 Moms
Options

No! No! No!

Sorry mom and dad my 10 week old can NOT have apple sauce or chocolate milk or cereal or a bottle of water especially a bottle of water with sugar in it!!!! Wtf??? Who gives sugar water in a developed country?? How did you not kill me as an infant?? He is gaining weight and is perfectly healthy with just my breast milk.

Re: No! No! No!

• Options
    KariB509 said:

Don't forget, you also slept on your tummy in a drop side crib. It's a wonder any of us survived.

Lmao!! My parents saved my drop side crib and made a nursery at their house. They insist on putting him in it every time he yawns!!! Grrrrr
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Actually in hospital they have Sloan sugar water just to hydrate her I think? Or calm her? Blah I can't remember. But it was enfamil/ I found it odd
  • Options

They gave LO sugar water on his paci when they had to check his blood sugar. I think it's to distract them from the pain. He wasn't drinking it from a bottle like your parents are suggesting though.

Edit: words

My dad said that LO wanted something sweet... Smh

• Options
    I have a drop side crib. The dropping side is against the wall.
    Me too - actually, I have two of them because a daycare down the road from my parents had just bought a bunch of new cribs right before the drop side cribs were decided bad and they got it practically free.
  • Options
    I hope they just talked about this and didn't actually do these things!
  • Options
    Like @WisconsinCheese12‌ and @TX08Aggie‌ I have a drop side crib.
    DS1 is sleeping in it.
    I also have my sister's drop side crib for LO.

We check that the mechanism for dropping is connecting properly every time we put a kid in them.

• Options
    I do agree that the food and sugar water does not need to be anywhere near my kid.

(It was tough convincing MIL of a lot of changes when DS1 was a newborn - she was taught to give babies all sorts of stuff)
  • Options
    yes, my mom asked me this weekend when can Levi have cereal in his bottle.  Uhm Never...
  • Options
    botbotbotbot member
    I just have to say it- putting the drop side against the wall doesn't make it safer.  It's not about the kid getting out, it's about the crib dropping on the kid.

I learned this the hard way when my parents had one- we put the drop side against the wall, and in the middle of the night, while DS was sleeping in the crib, he kicked the side (in his sleep) and it dropped down on his leg- wedging it between the crib and the wall.  It actually might not have been as bad if it wasn't against the wall.  Luckily, he is ok- a little banged up and was super scared at the time, but that is it.  However, I don't think we were far from a broken bone if he was simply positioned differently.

We still use the crib at my parents house- however, my dad put steel beams under the mattress that prevent any dropping.

I am normally one to take recalls with a grain of salt- but please - put some extra effort, clamps, beams, screws, whatever- to secure those drop side cribs!
  • Options
    MeggsMMeggsM member
    We have a drop down but it is screwed/bolted together so it won't fall and is against the wall.
  • Options
    When DS1 was around 8 weeks old we were visiting the ILs, I returned from taking a shower to have them tell me "Oh he had his first taste of syrup and he loves it"

While I'm sure it was the tiniest amount and they didn't have any intention of hurting him I was furious. What made me the most upset was that they didn't even think that maybe my H and I would like to be present the first time he tries food other than BM andplusalso maybe decide what that food was. 

Also, since it was such a small amount and obviously they weren't doing it as nutrition/hydration (like people suggesting cereal in bottle or water) i really felt like they were being selfish. They wanted to see what he would do/thought it would be cute. I likened it to giving a dog peanut butter on his nose b/c it is funny to watch him lick it off. They just thought "hey this will be funny cute" not, is it safe, healthy, would the parents approve.

Lastly, since they did it when I was in the shower and not in the room (which I HIGHLY doubt they would have even suggested/tried if I were there) they knew it was not appropriate and I would not approve. Needless to say they are not allowed to babysit and I still bring it up even though DS 1 is almost 4.

sorry to hijack the post
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My 86 year old grandma asks me last weekend if we were giving the twins water because it had been hot out. I just said 'nope. They don't recommend that anymore' and that was the end of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     'If God intended for this child to drink water, then water would come out of my boobs.'
    Hahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"